PDA

View Full Version : my experience in UNIBE .....

MD1234567
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
First off, if you are planning on going to unibe i suggest this isn't the first school you go to straight from high school. unibe is just a "pass" as people say, to get your MD degree so you are able to take the step 1.

- the teachers do not teach in the english program, if you ask a current student they will all tell you that this school is for those who can self teach. not to mention the "new md program" that they are sponsoring by making nice flyers and magazines, spending tons of money on all the new floors, professional pictures, but yet they fire teachers DURING the semester, and they also have to use the dean of medicine to teach a class for a semester since they were not responsible enough to find a professor for that class

- tuition is slowly going up, it was $4,500 and now instead of having good professors who can actually teach, they have a new fountain and a few new floors. they remodel everything in the school except for whats important OUR EDUCATION. all they want is the MONEY!!!

- if you want to learn, dont be tempted to cheat off hamy-down exams. since thats the only way many of the students are passing. the teachers know but dont care because they just want their paycheck. during exams, professors see students cheating with phones, papers, etc. but they don't do anything about it.
i wonder why the school is about to lose their loans?! maybe because their USMLE passing rate is SO low.....

- if you want to complain about something don't even bother, since your voice has absolutely no meaning in this school. you can go to the highest of the highest and they couldn't care less, like the dean of medicine marcos nunez, he is a complete place to exchange gas who acts like the nice guy during orientation but wouldn't lift a finger to help a student. if you want to talk to him, you can't because you mean nothing and you might as well not waste your time

* everyone and i mean everyone will tell you the same thing about unibe. find people on facebook and send them a private message asking about the school instead of using this website for answers because it is most definitely filled with people getting paid by the school

its a complete scam and all they do is drown you in loans. i cant say i learned a damn thing from this school

in unibe you are nothing more than just a drop of water in the ocean.

good luck everyone!

Dr.Zoidberg
04-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Maybe some of the stuff that you say is true, but unibe has lots of alumni that have successful business in US. so it all depends on you in every school

jods
04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
sorry to hear that, trust me, i understand where u are coming from

MD1234567
04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
all of the above is true because i have experienced it. yes there are many successful alumni from UNIBE but it all depends on when they graduated, and who taught them the material... find all that out first

and thank you jods, i appreciate it :)

dreamingdee
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks you all for the honest information. As a quick question, what if someone is extremely good at self-teaching? Do you think it's worth it for us to try to save money and do at least our Basic Sciences in UNIBE, and then maybe come back and take a Princeton Review or something for the USMLE Step 1? How much does it cost in total for each semester at UNIBE, taking into consideration living expenses, hidden fees, and travel costs from America?

Thanks for the help!!

mdhopeful2011
08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi MD1234567, I'm very sorry to learn this about the school. However, you mentioned something very interesting about using loans to pay for UNIBE med school. Were those US-federal-loans you were talking about or loans acquired in DR? I was curious to know if you are a US citizen? The reason I ask is because I wanted to know if I can take out federal loans from the US to attend UNIBE, DR? I value your input about the school and thank you for taking the time to share with others.

Also, would you advise one to learn spanish before beginning pre-med program or could one learn to speak/write spanish at the same time with pre-med courses?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my inquiry.

jerotmullin
09-18-2011, 11:46 PM
MD1234567 as you say, i see the tuition for the program is 6500 dollars per semester now. Just wanted to throw that out there.

niuyiar
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
It's all you, thats all i have to say. I graduated UNIBE some time ago, now in the transition to pvt practice as well as many of my coleagues who graduated before, during and after my time and are having a successful career. You WILL have to study like never before for the steps but before you know it will be done. Residency programs dont look much at your medschool grades as they are not standarized (what UCE considers an A, UNIBE might consider a B-) what they place more emphasis is on Steps and US clinical experience, which IMHO should be higher on your priority list, forget who is teaching. All in all I am grateful that UNIBE gave me the opportunity to study and now I can have a decent life across the pond.

just my .2

Cubanito76
10-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I totally agree with niuyiar. Your complaining may fall on deaf ears, but we have to understand that it's not our country. We may not agree to the way things are handled, but we have to adjust as it is their country and their culture. I am also a former grad. I suggest for anyone to rough it out, and use that built up on energy for the steps. Don't get involved in those little battles with professors or deans who smile and laugh behind your back. Trust me, if you do what you need to do, it will you that will be laughing and smiling in a few years. Good luck and try to enjoy the benefits of being in the DR. There are plenty!

NeuroticPants
10-21-2011, 01:32 PM
i wonder why the school is about to lose their loans?! maybe because their USMLE passing rate is SO low.....

Seems I got my wires crossed, and you're right. Although it's true that NCFMEA accredits whole countries, instead of individual schools, the rules for federal loan participation are individual/per school. The whole bruhaha is because this July the NCFMEA passed a rule that each school's USMLE pass rate (for all graduates, not just US citizens) must be at or above 75%, and thus UNIBE, PUCMM, and a lot of other foreign schools have lost federal loan participation. I can't post links, but if you go to the NCFMEA website and search for "The final regulations for foreign schools, including foreign medical schools, became effective on July 1, 2011.", you'll find the link to the decision.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.