PDA

View Full Version : NY residency??

HawaiiAnderson
03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
I was curious..I looked on the All Saints WEbsite and I noticed you have a resident in NY. How is that possible if this school isn't NY accredited?

devildoc8404
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
All NY accreditation really means is that you cannot complete more than 12 (I think it is 12) weeks of rotations there, if you still want to apply for residency/licensing in the state. This means that if that resident completed between 0 and 12 weeks of rotations in the state of NY, s/he was still eligible for residency training there.

FWIW, I don't know how that plays out down the road if s/he wants to practice there after residency, though.

cutelilMD
03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
All NY accreditation really means is that you cannot complete more than 12 (I think it is 12) weeks of rotations there, if you still want to apply for residency/licensing in the state. This means that if that resident completed between 0 and 12 weeks of rotations in the state of NY, s/he was still eligible for residency training there.

FWIW, I don't know how that plays out down the road if s/he wants to practice there after residency, though.

thank you so much, this is very useful info cuz NY contains 25 percent of residency. As for licensing, I believe they go by reciprocity. You just gotta get license from another state, and then use that to apply for NY licensing :)

HawaiiAnderson
03-30-2011, 08:47 AM
ok, I guess the information is all over the place regarding this topic. What I understood regarding NY approval is that you are only eligible for residency and >12 wks of rotations once your school is approved. A lot of hospitals in NY follow this rule strictly. So I'm even more confused now. Licensure is a whole another issue...i believe licensing is not possible if an unapproved school's student does a residency in NY..

hopefuldoc74
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
What does the state medical board have to say?

HawaiiAnderson
04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
I called the state medical board lastyear and they told me they don't issues regarding residency. They only deal with licensure issues. Does anyone else know anything else regarding this situation?

medic300107
04-02-2011, 09:20 AM
ok, I guess the information is all over the place regarding this topic. What I understood regarding NY approval is that you are only eligible for residency and >12 wks of rotations once your school is approved. A lot of hospitals in NY follow this rule strictly. So I'm even more confused now. Licensure is a whole another issue...i believe licensing is not possible if an unapproved school's student does a residency in NY..

No matter where you do residency you can only get a license in states that have approved your school. NY's medical student "approval" (accreditation is given by countries not states) is just for rotations, not for residency, or licensure. NY will license just about any school as far as I know.

wannabie
07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
A little more information on New York and IMG medicine:
nytimes.com/2010/12/23/nyregion/23caribbean.html (it won't let me post links for some reason: figure it out)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.