PDA

View Full Version : SMU - Cayman Islands No longer disapproved by the GMC

ic222
03-27-2011, 03:03 AM
It was indeed a paperwork issue.

Now, its resolved. Look for where it says SMU, Cayman Islands.

SMU, Cayman Islands, where the school is now, is once again approved by the GMC. SMU used to have a campus on Belize a long time ago and it is not approved (it also doesn't exist anymore so its not relevant).

Below is the link. Props to the administration for taking care of this quickly.

GMC | Acceptable primary medical qualification (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp)

And some of you want to be doctors, I'm surprised some of you can stand the sight of blood the way you squeal like a 5 year old without thinking things through sometimes. cheers.

neeL24
03-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Yea I posted that link in the other post, excellent news!

The Man
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey i'm happy like the rest of you, but I think this GMC thing was a wake up call that the school owners and admin needed. I hope that the school will start making changes to make sure that this does not happen again.

Let them start by spending some money (ie stop appointing cheap faculty, bring some visiting lecturers in and start looking for a permanent site for the school)

Introduce MCATs for entry and use board/textbook standard questions for blocks (No more powerpoint poorly written exams that have no relation to the NBME or Step)

And before i forget, change that stupid excuse of a website (like i've said before, I've seen college IT homework better than that)

Now if they do the things highlighted above I will be very happy.

At least the euro students are safe to stay here and dont have to leave

ic222
03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
The Man,

Sup bro. Few things. For starters, I'm happy as well. And, I also understand that the school is improving moving from 100 Matches 3 years ago to 155 Match Results last year. I also hope that the school will make sure its more vigilant. I will say that the information that the GMC needed seems to be from back in early 2000, when the school was owned by other people had different administration. Basically, it seems this administration cleaned the mess in 2 weeks time from the prior owners/administration (even faster than AUC which cleaned it up in a month 3 years ago).

As a student here, the Path Questions, Pharm Questions are actually harder than the Step and NBME. The other classes are up to par with Step and NBME in my opinion.

The school already has minimum MCAT entry for entrance (Not sure if they used to as you can roll with your minimum 90 hours, but I'm pretty sure its in place now). Its part of getting Title IV.

I completely agree, the website can definitely use a lift.

And, as per you, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied, ;). Hope you're doing well bud.

M.O.G.
03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey i'm happy like the rest of you, but I think this GMC thing was a wake up call that the school owners and admin needed. I hope that the school will start making changes to make sure that this does not happen again.

Let them start by spending some money (ie stop appointing cheap faculty, bring some visiting lecturers in and start looking for a permanent site for the school)

Introduce MCATs for entry and use board/textbook standard questions for blocks (No more powerpoint poorly written exams that have no relation to the NBME or Step)

And before i forget, change that stupid excuse of a website (like i've said before, I've seen college IT homework better than that)

Now if they do the things highlighted above I will be very happy.

At least the euro students are safe to stay here and dont have to leave

I agree. The Website Stinks!!! It might sound funny but many people judge schools partially by how their website presents...The thing needs to be updated!

greenmedic
03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Yesss... and I hope the Good news keeps coming for SMU.

gmail2011
03-28-2011, 10:45 AM
check the website everyone!

it was a mistake.

I rang up this morning and they confirmed.

GMC will not except SMU!

brusmani
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
A mistake????So...SMU is still disapproved?????? :( :( :( I'm so sorry for the EU students who are there right now!I was so happy when I checked the website and the'd removed SMU from the disapproved list :(

mahidac
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
As a student here, the Path Questions, Pharm Questions are actually harder than the Step and NBME. The other classes are up to par with Step and NBME in my opinion.

path for sure is on point - anatomy as well, sreenathan neuro as well

physio is about as difficult as they can make it at the time - but the question difficulty is below standardized physio q's (I think the school should focus more on physio personally)

the big drops are - the micro and biochem questions

i hear biochem/genetics questions have had a bit of an overhaul I can only comment on when I went through the course - and I felt the questions weren't applicable

Micro questions seem to just be wtv the prof feels is important - there are more applicable micro questions in path then our actual micro class

just my 2 cents

The Man
03-28-2011, 04:39 PM
We are still disapproved guys. See link below

GMC | Acceptable primary medical qualification (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp)

Sorry euro students. Now maybe people will believe that this was NEVER a simple paperwork issue

EQUALITY
03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
This is the problem like icc2, you get people on here who are misinformed and really don't take the time to think before they write. SMU is still dissaproved for graduates after december 2010.

The poster was so stupid that he/she did not even read the link that they were so excited about.

gmail2011
03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
your mistaken equality..

icc2 was correct. the website on sunday morning (london time) stated, that the GMC accepted SMU students.

however this morning it changed.

i spoke to the GMC this morning, they informed me that it was a "mistake" made whilst updating the website...

SKR28
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=ic222;1363075]It was indeed a paperwork issue.

Now, its resolved. Look for where it says SMU, Cayman Islands.

ic222, how did you know it was " only a paperwork issue"? "resloved" ?? As you can see on the website SMU students still cannot practice in the UK.

I do thank you for following up on the GMC website but this issue is still not "Resolved"

What we all really want to know from the US Adim ( not the Dean ), is what is going on, why did this happen? I for one I would have felt more comfortable if the Admin had written to us letting us know the they are working on the issue. Still to date we have not got anything from them.

Does anyone know when you are going to get Fed loans? or are the owners going to focus on Saba first and MUA, then maybe apply for SMU? Why would they apply for SMU first, when Saba has Cali? think about it....

picantesauce
03-29-2011, 12:59 AM
This is really crazy with the approved/not approved/approved/not approved. Ten Nigerian schools were newly disapproved as as well. Did the GMC change their requirements or do some kind of audit or something? I'm starting to wonder who is next. Hopefully SMU gets this resolved soon (for good).

jfran
03-29-2011, 05:53 AM
there is a possibility that they have become more strict in their requirements and that includes the level of clinical training received, this could be said of the Nigerian schools where there are incidences of lengthy strikes, no formal clinical rotations arrangements and the list continues, so yes standards have changed considerably in some of the schools on the list!

Even SGU made the list for a joint program done with Northumbria university, although its only done for 1 of the 4 years of study, things have changed

ic222
03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Actually, when I (and the other posters) who posted, we were indeed off the list. We all saw it. They showed a clear different between SMU Cayman and SMU Belize.

I called the GMC and they apologized as we were "prematurely" approved on Friday evening on their website. Then, Monday afternoon, we were back on the list. I asked her, "What else are we supposed to go by as students besides what is on their own website?" She apologized again for the confusion and said it was updated this weekend incorrectly and said we should be hearing back as a school soon.

So, we'll just wait I guess. Hopefully this will be resolved for my UK friends soon.

ic222
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
SKR,

Do you go to our school btw? Thank you for showing so much interest in a school (that I don't think you attend).

Saba, SMU and MUA are all owned by the same company. They were all applied for Title IV at the same time in 2009. If you search on google on the Federal Registry website, you can see the application which was filed in 2009. I hope you're doing well man, take it easy, let's hope for the best.

kishkash186
03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
ic222

When you spoke to the GMC did you get an indication that they were still looking into things? or was this mistake on the website just them finalising things?

SKR28
03-29-2011, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=ic222;1363881]SKR,

Do you go to our school btw? Thank you for showing so much interest in a school (that I don't think you attend).

School was rather slow today hey? Only persons I saw was Bistro lady and a couple other students. Even Security was inside most of the day (still checking my ID) Nice and sunny I thought. :D

Trillium
03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Saba, SMU and MUA are all owned by the same company. They were all applied for Title IV at the same time in 2009.

Wow, I had no idea that they were owned by the same company. I'd heard that Saba was sold but that's it. Did the owners of SMU buy the other two or was it MUA's owners? When do you hear about the Title IV application? Wish you well with that.

M.O.G.
03-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Its funny how some medical students write so poorly. I wonder if that's the same way they speak....

shades mccool
03-30-2011, 11:23 AM
The creation of this thread is the prime example of somebody being over zealous and not waiting for conformation from the school. I assure you, the students will get a email the moment the school gets this corrected. That is the way the school works, they hide things from you or will not acknowledge a problem, but once they fix a problem, boom, you are getting a email to let you know everything is just fine.

JimmysMD
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
So a guy went round to each class in the school to make an announcement that wasnt approved by any member of Faculty in the school, or any Admin member from Orlando.

He gave all UK students false hope by telling them that the school was now approved by the GMC, and went on to say "Don't believe the rumours that go around, if you hear anything ask them what their source is before it sets off hysteria among the students".

Isn't it ironic that after his speech, it turned out that his information wasnt true and again set off hysteria. It's not really his position to be making these non-approved announcements, but I guess it just makes the school look bad again.

When the dean was congratulated, he could merely reply with "It is still in progress" - Akward?

A reccomendation - stop. Pay attention to your own classes. Let the school fix it and make official announcements.

The Man
03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
What I dont get is why the euro students are not looking to transfer. Heck if I was them and still here I would be demanding everything from free tuition to massive curves.

I'm from ****** New Jersey and even I will be looking to transfer after i'm done with 5th. If all US students were told that they could not practice back in the states there would be mass transfers and meetings every day. I guess the euro students are more calm and patient (I hope their patience pays off in the long run)

rocketstobrazil
03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I've heard that the problem with the GMC is that they're saying any courses taken at SMU are invalid, so if that's true then all of these UK kids would have to start from day 1 if they were able to transfer. I can't speak for them, but I wouldn't throw away the 5 sem of hell that I've been through, especially with the tiny bit of hope that SMU actually gets their act together

kishkash186
03-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I've heard that the problem with the GMC is that they're saying any courses taken at SMU are invalid, so if that's true then all of these UK kids would have to start from day 1 if they were able to transfer. I can't speak for them, but I wouldn't throw away the 5 sem of hell that I've been through, especially with the tiny bit of hope that SMU actually gets their act together

Heard from who? the GMC?? could you please clarify this for people on the thread. If this was the case then why is there a cut off date. If that was the case then all students would be banned not just the ones who graduated after 2010.

The Man
03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Heard from who? the GMC?? could you please clarify this for people on the thread. If this was the case then why is there a cut off date. If that was the case then all students would be banned not just the ones who graduated after 2010.

He means that if you are a euro/UK student, anything you did after Dec 2010 in SMU is rubbish. Lets say you are a euro student in the 4th semester right now - it means that your 4th semester is useless because it is after Dec 2010 (That is as long as SMU stays banned) but your 3rd, 2nd and 1st would be recognised as they fell before dec 2010.

So the euro students have 2 options:

1) Stay in SMU and hope that the school is telling the truth and it is just a paperwork issue (this means paying fees and expenses)
The downside here is if the ban stays, then they have just wasted thousands of dollars

or

2) Transfer somewhere else and do their 4th semester again keeping the good SMU credits (pre Dec 2010)
The downside here is if the ban is lifted after they transfer and they end up repeating a semester for nothing

Either way the euro students are screwed (But at least with option 2 they are sure that they get to practice in UK whether the ban is lifted or not)

At times like this Its good to be American

kishkash186
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM
He means that if you are a euro/UK student, anything you did after Dec 2010 in SMU is rubbish. Lets say you are a euro student in the 4th semester right now - it means that your 4th semester is useless because it is after Dec 2010 (That is as long as SMU stays banned) but your 3rd, 2nd and 1st would be recognised as they fell before dec 2010.

So the euro students have 2 options:

1) Stay in SMU and hope that the school is telling the truth and it is just a paperwork issue (this means paying fees and expenses)
The downside here is if the ban stays, then they have just wasted thousands of dollars

or

2) Transfer somewhere else and do their 4th semester again keeping the good SMU credits (pre Dec 2010)
The downside here is if the ban is lifted after they transfer and they end up repeating a semester for nothing

Either way the euro students are screwed (But at least with option 2 they are sure that they get to practice in UK whether the ban is lifted or not)

At times like this Its good to be American

I know what he means thanks for the elaborate explaination. I just wanted a source for his/her comment.

Again one person makes a claim and then the next person takes it as fact. Silly talk.

The Man
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I know what he means thanks for the elaborate explaination. I just wanted a source for his/her comment.

Going by your analysis what do you make of the people who have already left the Island by 2010 and are in clinicals?? If the problem is basic science then those people are exempt by your logic??

Again one person makes a claim and then the next person takes it as fact. Silly talk.

Not silly talk my friend FACT. I may not be a UK student but I HAVE spoken to the GMC and that is what I got from them. Not rumours, fact. Call them and find out yourself.

You and the school should start telling people the truth, not attacking me. Its 2 weeks to the end of semester and the school is still banned. I bet by mid next semester we will still be banned.

My advice to the euro students, stop listening to people that want your money or the US students (they dont give a **** about you) if your smart you'll demand answers or leave. I know I would.

kishkash186
03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Not silly talk my friend FACT. I may not be a UK student but I HAVE spoken to the GMC and that is what I got from them. Not rumours, fact. Call them and find out yourself.

You and the school should start telling people the truth, not attacking me. Its 2 weeks to the end of semester and the school is still banned. I bet by mid next semester we will still be banned.

My advice to the euro students, stop listening to people that want your money or the US students (they dont give a **** about you) if your smart you'll demand answers or leave. I know I would.

If you are not a UK student why are you phoning the GMC??

Again, I didn't ask if you had phoned the GMC. My question was for the previous poster. I know how you like jumping in and speaking for other people but can you just wait till he/she answers please?

Mdream
03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Kishkash are you an actual student or a member of faculty? admin maybe? Why cant ''The man'' call the GMC? You dont have to be from UK to want to know what is actually happening. The school has still told us nothing.

Kishkash you have no answers. So instead of being an SMU cheerleader allow those that do have answers to speak

kishkash186
03-31-2011, 05:46 PM
You don't seem to have any answers as well. Calling me an SMU cheerleader for asking people to clarify random pieces of information is like me assuming you're from a rival school due to unsubstantiated claims.

My point was this...I cannot understand how the GMC have given you this extra bit of information when everyone I know who has spoken to did not mention it. Hence clarification was needed, something in writing perhaps but no, it's easier to just quickly post it on here.

Answer me this then 'the man' if the gmc have told you that teaching on the island is not up to scratch did you ask them why have put a date on it? I don't think much has change after dec 2010.

The Man
03-31-2011, 08:00 PM
You don't seem to have any answers as well. Calling me an SMU cheerleader for asking people to clarify random pieces of information is like me assuming you're from a rival school due to unsubstantiated claims.

My point was this...I cannot understand how the GMC have given you this extra bit of information when everyone I know who has spoken to did not mention it. Hence clarification was needed, something in writing perhaps but no, it's easier to just quickly post it on here.

Answer me this then 'the man' if the gmc have told you that teaching on the island is not up to scratch did you ask them why have put a date on it? I don't think much has change after dec 2010.

Maybe I just ask the right questions and speak to the right people. Either way we are still banned by maybe the second most important medical body in the world. This GMC ban matters alot to me because as a future med grad I would like to be able to practice in any country I want, not just back home in the states

There is also the little matter of eventually losing US approvals if this thing carries on for too long.

As for where I get my information....? How about the school telling us the real reason they have been banned (I dont believe it has anything to do with paperwork).

If this thing goes on for too long even you may start to have doubts

rocketstobrazil
04-01-2011, 12:13 AM

I haven't contacted the GMC directly. My sources are just UK students that have said that they received this information from the GMC. I assume they are telling the truth because if I was a student from the UK, I would definitely be contacting the GMC to see what the problem is. Also, most all of these kids are staying put at SMU in hopes that the issue will resolve, so it leads me to believe that the issues with receiving proper credit for classes is true, or else everyone would just transfer out and it wouldn't be much to think about.

kishkash186
04-01-2011, 06:20 AM

ic222
04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
"The Man", just curious, if you would like to practice in any state or country, then why choose SMU to begin with having known that you can't practice in at least practice in California before coming here? It seems you of anyone else we know would have avoided this school b/c you want to cross your T's and dot your "I's so to speak. Why did you not look into Ross, AUC, Saba or SGU? It seems you out of any of us would have chosen them first.

As per the announcements, I'm pretty sure the student that made them said that we Had New York and Florida and provided the links and resources, so that was clearly right. This was in response to rumors that we had lost NY and Fla which was not the case. And, when he made the announcement, the GMC indeed did have SMU Cayman approved which was confirmed by hundreds of students over the weekend, it unfortunately changed monday afternoon for whatever reason.

I do agree with you, as a student it'd be nice to get this resolved.

SKR28
04-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I spoke to the GMC today and was told they could not disclose any info to a student. So for those of you that have said you have spoken to persons in the GMC and told you EVRYTHING IS GETTING SORTED OUT.. **... The GMC said we must call the owners and admin to deal with this matter. I explained the school admin is not telling us anything. and was basically told too bad.

They did confirmed that SMU students graduating after Dec 31st 2011 cannot pracitce in the UK, this includes students in clinicals not just basic science ( as person has stated in other posts). UK students graduating in Orlando in the nnext few weeks, guess what get a visa and try find a job in the USA.

Good news for those of you that are sick of me, I have had 3 great replies from other schools (oh and by the way they are Ross, SGA adn AUC), I will have to start all over again, well only my first semester.

For those of you that say why did I come to SMU? one on my main reasons was the island and the standard of living here, I now have to look at another location, simple as that.

By the way I am not sure if anyone noticed, which again SMU Admin misinformed us on is that Cayman, is that cayman is a crime free island, read the paper bank robbed Thursday and this is the 4th for the year, plus other robberies by gun point. Great place but there is a lot of crime and last year pre cap Cayman was in the top 10 for murders in the world. "Another misleadning report from the school".

I cannot beleive that other UK students are not as vocal on this matter, as mentioned in other posts, If all you US students were banned, all you students would be saying what we are saying now. So guess what, I will complain to who I want and I donnot care becuase you do not care about me or your school all you care about is kiisin A.... and as long as SMU can practive in US so what....

Enjoy all posts after this......

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
How come there is a problem with clinical student if they are not even on the Island from the 31st Dec. Surely if the problem was with the basic science program then the ban should include everyone and not just people graduating after 2010.

Can you please answer this SKR28 please???????

The Man
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Kishkash if a school is banned it is banned, i dont think they care whether the basic sciences or clinical half is good or bad. Like SKR28 said, those euro students in clinicals have no choice but to forget europe and try the states until the ban is lifted.

We still do not know whether the ban is because of the basic sciences, clinical part or a problem with the school as a whole, this is the fault of the school who are not telling us anything. Maybe the 31st Dec was a cut off point for their investigation, who knows?

One thing I do know is that if the ban is not lifted by next semester other people will start wanting to know why, which is what i am afraid of (at least until I leave)

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
If the school is banned it has to be banned to proper reasons. The fact that the GMC don't have a problem with the clinical part of our course is a very very very important fact to consider.

So instead of questioning things and why certain things don't make sense you're happy to accept anything.

It cannot be our clinicals as we do the same things as the UK students. So the problem must be the Island stuff. So if you have already left the Island you should be fine.

Can you just humour me and answer my points instead of just spouting the same things?

I await your reply

SKR28
04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Kishkash read the report from the GMC, it simply states that SMU is banned and no student graduating after Dec 31st 2010 can not prcatice in the UK. This is all students Clinical and B.S.

The problem is we have not been told by the Admin of SMU why this ban has taken place, no one knows, it could be clinicals, it could be Cayman, it could be anyting, we do not know, and this is the part that P>>> me off about this school. I think it is something quite serious (just me).

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 01:01 PM
But why the random date? Again you have not answered my question but keep repeating the same sh*t.

If it is a problem with everything then the date should include everyone before and after 2010.

SKR28
04-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree with you, why this date? We don't know, no one knows.

If you want an answer ok, let me see i I can give you one.

so students who graduated last year are ok, so they left cayman some 24 months before they graduated. what was different back then? maybe it was, i don't know becuase i was not there, Is there any one from 4,5,6 years ago tell us what is different now to then, what changes did the school make to cuase us this problem? Did the school completely change their program or something?

Hope this helps answering your question.

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 01:53 PM
My point exactly. No one seems to have any answers but continues to put up opinions and false facts around here.

Would it not be a good idea to collectively help each other out and other fellow SMU students and analyse the situation properly?

From what I know from personal experience the school has been getting better and improving it's basic science curriculum. The fact that you need to pass the Step to get to clinicals is a pretty high standard even compared to UK medical schools.

Again this is all from objective analysis of other medical schools and comparing our teaching with theirs.

Maybe have this forum to discuss things in the proper manner rather than scare and worry people.

SKR28
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
How are we scaring people? All we are doing is speaking the facts. At this time any SMU student who graduates from Jan 1st 2011 can not practice in the UK. that is it, this is a fact, so again how are we scaring people? I have spent alot of money oming here and whe i signed up we all were told that we had the UK, now over half way through the semester we find out that the school is banned. Simple. What really gets me is that if not for students finding this out and letting us know, the school would have never told us. again simple as that and facts.

What should we do then? tell all incoming students this is the best school? Why?

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 03:44 PM
No, but why tell them anything when you don't have all the facts. Typical response for people on here is to get all flustered and make stuff up and then the next person takes it as gospel and so on and so on. But as soon as someone points out the fact that certain things have no basis they are immediately accused of being a school cheerleader.

The Man
04-02-2011, 04:10 PM
No, but why tell them anything when you don't have all the facts. Typical response for people on here is to get all flustered and make stuff up and then the next person takes it as gospel and so on and so on. But as soon as someone points out the fact that certain things have no basis they are immediately accused of being a school cheerleader.

These are the cold facts:

1. We are the only school in the carribean still banned by California
2. We are the only school in the carribean banned by a whole country (UK)
3. We are the only school in the carribean with no campus of its own (we rent office space and call them labs)
4. We are the only school in the carribean (along with Saba & MUA) with stupid credit hours
5. For the amount of tuition we pay ($10,000) we have the cheapest faculty and facilities of any caribbean school (I know SGU, Ross, AUC charge more, but the worst school in the region SMU should not be)
6. The owners of the school can not be bothered to maintain or update our website (which is the worst medical school website in the region)
7. We have an administration that wont tell us anything or even come down to speak to us about this GMC mess
8. Our curriculum has changed more than any other school in the region (MUA & Saba excluded)

I found out many of these things when I got here, but even with all our problems we were not blacklisted by a foreign country, so I just kept my head down and got on with it. Those that want to be cheerleaders (eg Kishkash and ICC) can go right ahead but I will tell the truth. Every point I made above is FACT.

I'll say it again: Anybody that applies here for next semester is either very desperate (which I can understand) or stupid. Any euro/UK student that stays here is also stupid. Those of us already here should keep this as the number one issue so that this does'nt become another Cali because as long as people keep coming here or no one complains the owner/s of the school will do nothing

kishkash186
04-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for keeping the thread on the original subject. Is this really how you have a conversation with people The Man??

gmail2011
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey everyoneÖ.

Iím a british student who always had the intention when applying to SMU, that I would practice in the UK after graduation.

And as we all know, the GMC is no longer recognising graduates from St. Matthew's University (unless you've graduated before December 2010).

Honestly, ever since Iíve found out, I havenít stopped panicking or trying to find a solution. Firstly I thought I could transfer out. But after several conversations with the GMC, they informed me that I will not be able to transfer my credits to any institution (even the classes done before Dec 2010).

Now after this all happened, I hit rock bottom. Letís be honest with ourselves, most British students went to SMU with the intention of practicing within the UK. If we canít transfer out, that means we have only 2 choices left:

1) carry on at SMU → ...and hope this passes
2) re-start at a new school → Myself, like most students, canít afford to re-start again

So I decided to contact my local MP (member of parliament) Ė equivalent to senate in the states. My MP was unaware that the GMC had disapproved SMU and decided to personally contact the GMC chairman and the university minister in the UK.

After talking to her this morning she urged me to ask other British students to write to their local MPís explaining the current situation. Basically the more students that raise this issue with there MPís, the more pressure it will put on the GMC. And hopefully we can find out why this is happening? If thereís a solution? Or at least get some guidance.

So please can everyone forward this message to any other British students on or off the island. And hopefully, something can be done.

Yours thankfully,

British SMU student.

SKR28
04-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Thanks for keeping the thread on the original subject. Is this really how you have a conversation with people The Man??

Staying on thread?? It was untrue, all man is doing is saying the truth, which is not the case with the tittle of this thread.

Gmail2011, Great idea, I didn't think of this. but as I am moving on I hope all of the SMU UK students who have spent 2,3,4,5,6,,7,8,9 semseters all the best, I am fortunate enough were I have on been at SMU 1 amd will only have wasted 4 months with this school.

I am personally not sure what an MP can do, as the GMC is an independent board protecting patients, but it maybe worth ago. Maybe the MP's can find out why this has happened and get answers for you, none the less at this time UK students can't practice and if you have spent thousands of dollars alread at SMU, maybe you should look too the school to give you your funds back. Just a thought.

I wait for Ic and kishkash to come back and now insult me....

To you "The Man" at least you are willing as a US student (it appears) to care for UK students, thanks..

SMORGY
04-03-2011, 02:36 AM
SKR28 are you seriously leaving?

kishkash186
04-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Gmail2011 who is your local MP??

SKR28
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
SKR28 are you seriously leaving?

Yes and I be the school and others will be happy as i will shortly no longer posting on the SMU site.

jfran
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Getting your local MP involved in good, however the problem lies with the school and the administration, so the pressure needs to be on them resolving whatever has resulted in the ban, as that is all your MP will be able to ascertain from the GMC!

SKR28
04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I agree we need to deal witht SMU Admin, the problem is that the School doesn't want to speak to those that pay their salaries, so what else should we do? I like the idea of contacting an MP, maybe an MP can at least find out why this has happened. Also the MP can contact Cayman Officials and ask why tis has happened.

Maybe we should contact both, I am sure That Cayman would not want to ahve a bad rep as part of the British Teritories to allow a scholl were UK student can not practice. Does anyone know on the island who we can talk too?

Tobe honest all I would like is the school to come out and tell all students there is a problem, that's it. As they can't do this, we as students need to put preasure on SMU to give us answers.

What do you think would happen if none of us showed up for exams in the next 2 weeks, Fail us LOL. NO give us all curves so we passed. Unfortunately I know no one would do this, and reason is that all of you are in the school for yourselfs no one else.

I wait to be blasted again.... :)

kishkash186
04-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Maybe you should speak to the people the GMC are actually in contact with I.e the people that own the school. The admin are in the same position as the admin from a bank which is being looked into by an external regulator.

As many people keep forgetting that our medical school is not run like a school but a business very much like SGU, Ross and the like. Getting information from people who don't actually know and are not allowed to tell you is pointless.

I'll ask you this skr28, if your broadband provider or bank was not providing you with a service would you bitch and moan on a silly website? Unless you have shares in the school you are just a customer.

kishkash186
04-04-2011, 03:16 AM
Yes and I be the school and others will be happy as i will shortly no longer posting on the SMU site.

What exactly is your idea of 'shortly'?

JimmysMD
04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Unless you have shares in the school you are just a customer.

...a customer who is aware of a problem and keen to obtain knowledge of what went wrong.

badjojo
04-14-2011, 01:52 AM
ic222, does talking about it make you feel better? As a self-proclaim work free lobbyist, does it make you feel important and good about yourself when doing things like this? to announce to people GMC is back, and that they were acting like 5 year olds crying, when they were informed they could no longer go home. How would you take it they were to say you could no longer practice, I dunno, Alabama maybe?

Also, that same day another student spoke to the dean, who very quietly inferred, that the GMC was not back. So I'm confused, was this not a dean approved news bulletin? cause I know you do those too.

Dr Rich
04-16-2011, 10:00 PM
ic222 and Kinkash do it for the goodies, they are the same kin, and the kin of their master :rolleyes:

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.