PDA

View Full Version : Horrible technion news

crazyrinat
03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Contrary to any false propaganda that is posted on here, I will give you some HARD numbers, as a Technion student:

Only 5 people out of 30, last year, were able to enter the match. Only 1 matched. See:
************* dot blogspot dot com

This year, less than 1/2 the class (around 10 people entered the match). I would imagine that few will match - see my prediction this week. This is why they do not have a "match" list.

The program is basically run by a psychotic malicious secretary who lies constantly.
This is a warning to everyone applying - it isn't worth it. It is a miserable place with no support, no advising, nothing. It breeds bad results. It isn't worth a six figure investment for such poor returns. And the horrible way they treat people here...enough said.

steelroof
03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok, here we go again. It seems that we go through the same perennial mud-slinging exercise, especially around match time. There appear to be a handful of people who continue to post very negative comments about Technion on this and other forums. Certainly the program has earned its share of criticism, and one can understand the frustration of the students who have been unable to match. However, it appears that the criticism has gone beyond what is necessary to communicate pitfalls to potential future students, and has entered the vindictive realm. Letís try to put things in perspective.

Without question, the graduating class last year (and to a lesser extent this year) got the raw end of the deal as they joined a new program (Technion was "restarted" in 2006, expanding the program from a handful of joint Touro/Technion students to appx 30 students each year) and had to live with the programís initial growing pains. Unfortunately a number of those students did not take the initiative on their own (for example, did not take the USMLE steps on time, or at all) and that combined with a lack of direction from the school left the majority without any chance to enter the match. The current fourth year class recently organized a panel to discuss their experience with US electives and interviewing, and it was clear that at least the students on the panel have their ducks in order, and expect to match this coming week.

For the record, the program is run by a new dean, who is very active in its day-to-day management. Ad homenum attacks on members of the administration are in poor taste, and do not elucidate the situation any further. Anyone currently enrolled in the Technion program is aware that the changes over the last few months have been significant and are aimed at meaningfully improving student experience and residency placements, including instituting advisors for each student, reworking the curriculum and clinical schedules, changing grades to H/P/F and sponsoring a USMLE review course. Students also have direct access to their advisors and the dean if they have any issues or complaints.

If you are considering medical school in Israel (and understand the implications of being an FMG), you should do your own diligence about each school, including the Technion, by reaching out to current students in each program. Each program is different and will appeal to different students. Overall, the Technion program has what to offer and is definitely on the upswing, and anyone thinking about Israel should take a serious look at it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions (I am a current student).

Tyler Durden
03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Hmmm... I have now spoken/emailed with students from all 4 years of the Technion program and they have pretty much all said they regretted going there. They acknowledged that there is a new Dean, but the character of the place is seemingly the same, with the same miserable program coordinator, the same lack of respect, and the same warnings to stay away.

It seems as though this is the worst program in Israel - as all 5 people I spoke/emailed with said they would have gone to one of the other programs had they been accepted.

I guess if someone did their due diligence, it might make sense to stay away from a place whose only track record so far has been 2 years of not really placing anyone into US residencies (only a select few) after taking over a hundred grand from the students. Anything more would be a real gamble it seems.

steelroof
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Good that you have done your diligence, though odd that you reached out to students in every year of the program, yet you didn't contact me. I guess you have better sources for contacts.

I assume from your comments that you have been admitted to all three programs in Israel - congragulations. Best of luck in your future studies at Sackler or Ben Gurion. With a name like Tyler Durden, doesn't seem like Technion would be the right fit anyway - wouldn't give you that gritty edge.

devildoc8404
03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Erm... I believe the full name is Tyler "Hacksaw" Durden. Plenty gritty.

s2m25
03-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Hmmm... I have now spoken/emailed with students from all 4 years of the Technion program and they have pretty much all said they regretted going there.
Well then, you must have missed my class entirely. (and steelroof's as well). Not really sure then, which "4 years" you are referring to....or which "Technion program" you are referring to. We are a pretty small group of students - only 25-30 per year. And you would be hard pressed to find a student in my class who "pretty much said [s/he] regretted going there." We ALL have our complaints (which, FWIW, are heard, and dealt with), and some courses are more difficult than others, but overall, we are happy with the program and enjoying our experience overall.

They acknowledged that there is a new Dean, but the character of the place is seemingly the same, with the same miserable program coordinator, the same lack of respect, and the same warnings to stay away.
my gooodness! The new dean only assumed his position 3 months ago! Do you think this is the some magical land like Oz or something, where the white walls of the classrooms will magically transform to gold overnight? because we don't. But many significant changes *have* been instituted, and I would be happy to discuss them over PM with anyone who is interested. If you think this is the "worst program in Israel," then why are you here asking questions? Why not just direct everyone to your blogspot website so they can see what you truly think, rather than masquerading all over the web with different usernames every other week?

crazyrinat
03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
So - Technion kiddos:
how's the match list this year?

Tyler Durden
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow - just came across technion teams dot..com abandon ship!!

djwoofbusta
03-14-2011, 01:43 AM
I am currently a Technion student, and more importantly, an extremely hard worker. I mean to be sarcastic when I say that my mommy taught me that hard work will pay off no matter what school I go to. Whoever this DB (douche bag) is that is putting down Technion is apparently not such a good student. Without proper guidance he/she has been inclined to blame others. So here we go Mr/Mrs. DB, go F yourself because you are a retarded medical student, who had no right to be here in the first place!!!
Love you,
DJwoofbusta

Tyler Durden
03-14-2011, 07:51 AM
djwoof:

I guess you can't really respond to the facts that were posted. Less than 1/3 of the class is going to match this year. Sad.

rofeh26
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
As a fourth year student who is matching this year, I think it is important to note that *EVERY* person who applied for the match this year in the States has officially matched or pre-matched (we got the emails today!), including students from last year's class that were applying for the first time.

My response to the people (or person?) so obsessed with our matching rate: how many medical schools can brag of a 100% matching rate? And while I am well aware that this number is 1/3 of our class, I will assume that when those people who did not apply for the match this year---many of whom are doing it for personal reasons---they, too, will match.

I am not going to write here that our program is perfect---there is a lot of room for improvement. However, a lot of the problems that my class encountered do not exist anymore, and the strengths of an incredible research facility, great clinical teaching, low tuition cost, and being situated in the always-beautiful, never-boring State of Israel make this a great place to study medicine. I encourage anyone considering attending here to send me a message if you have any questions.

IamDawkins
03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
@rofeh26 -- End the lies please.

@steelroof -- Do you have a degree in either US law or talmudic law? You frame your arguments well. I can see your point of view and I respect it. It appears your argument is logically flawed because a med school should be viable before it opens its doors for enrollment in order to prevent disastrous match results. Lastly, do not forget to direct your request for ending ad hominem attacks also towards the defenders of the program.

@djwoofbusta -- Tone it down with civility please. This is not a forum for future UFC fighters.

What is so disgusting to me are the personal attacks. As soon as someone speaks up against the program they become the subject of character assassination. I would certainly not want to occupy the untenable position of defending the school.

IamDawkins
03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
@steelroof -- Interesting observation about the blowups on the forums around match time. I was thinking the same thing. I have a feeling that the tradition of "March Madness" will take on a whole new meaning if the Technion continues on its current track. The new dean is likable but is essentially in the analogous position of reforming the Washington DC public school system, a losing battle. Top medical school candidates stay in America, and the top candidates coming to Israel choose TAU or BGU, so the Technion's American program is not competing for the cream. Combine this with their pedagogical challenges and I will let you fill in the dots....You got it....March Madness.

maplesyrup18
03-15-2011, 03:27 AM
@Iam Dawkins

That is NOT true that the top candidates coming to Israel choose TAU or BGU. I personally got into both TAU and Technion and chose Technion over TAU. There are also a handful of students in my class that also got into both TAU and Technion and they chose Technion.

crazyrinat
03-15-2011, 08:59 AM
maplesyrup Canadian:
Why would [I]anyone[I] choose to not go to a proven place with proven matches to go to a place with a proven disaster list as well as complaints about it going years back?
That is so disingenuous. I know of 2 students at the Technion who tried to transfer to Sackler, and one who tried stateside. I doubt there ever has been anything opposite.
This is a warning to any prospective student - look at what this person is saying and how little sense it makes.

Tyler Durden
03-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Is it true that not so long ago, students in the program brought their concerns to Prof S-h-a-l*ev, the head of the program until recently, and he sent out an email to the entire class saying, "If you don't like it go home."?

murbrow
03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
To the person posting as Tyler Durden/crazyrinat/IamDawkins,

It is against the rules of this forum to post under multiple usernames. It was because of these actions that this forum was closed around this time last year also.

I hear that you were recently expelled from the school (probably because you spent all your time on the whistle-blower site and on these forums and not enough time on your studies). Well now that you'll have a lot more free time on your hands, maybe you can find yourself a new hobby instead of trying to scare prospective students away from a program that was obviously too much for you.

By the way, does it sting to know that you were expelled from a program that's so bad that even those who actually graduate don't match??:D

crazyrinat
03-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Uhhh - I DO NOT have multiple usernames. The fact that you continue to harp on that is even more telling. Secondly, I am in the program and can guarantee you I have better board scores and grades than you have. Thirdly, I don't run the site you talk about - it has been up for over a year. Fourthly, I am not scaring anyone away. The record of the program does that itself and the complete absence of logic by people such as yourself do that well enough.

Maybe you are like the other people, saying things like - "It's wonderful here! I mean, no one matches but there are wonderful research opportunities and no other medical school has research!"

IamDawkins
03-15-2011, 05:38 PM
To correct the record:
I do recall an American graduate of the Touro/Technion program who is currently a research professor at Johns Hopkins. He does not see patients and is a laboratory scientist. He came to speak at the Technion about his research with some insulin device. I am sure he would be willing to take qualified students from the Technion for a research project. Inquire from within.

StudentinProgram
03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Maybe that is the mysterious "Hopkins" affiliation that no one seems to be able to answer?

crazyrinat
03-15-2011, 07:34 PM

IamDawkins
03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
@crazyrinat -- Please remove your aforementioned post with the secretary's picture. You know I agree with your general premise, but this recent post is taking things too far.

murbrow
03-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Talking to yourself again, Dawkins/crazyrinat? ....what a nutcase.

IamDawkins
03-16-2011, 04:47 AM
You are SO SO WRONG. It is just getting sad. Good luck finding a residency.

StudentinProgram
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
A few months ago, it turned out that the Dean of Technion Medical School, Eliezer Sh-a;;lev wasn't complying with US Dept of Education regulations. He sent out an email on August 9, 2010 which in part said the following (notice the HILARIOUS spelling errors):

"I fear that failure to comply with the requirements will result in loss of the edibility granted to our school by the US department of education. In addition, it will lead the school to enforce limitation and restraints on the students (such as non submission of MSPES's to ERAS, and other academic restraints)."

Also Notice the threats because of HIS inadequacy.

OMGClayAiken
03-22-2011, 01:06 AM
that sucks

StudentinProgram
03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
So - there was a "panel" of a few medical students a couple weeks back to advise 3rd years on applying to different fields. Funny thing is, 2 of the students on the "panel" didn't even match into the fields they were "representing"!!! One student failed to match into surgery and another didn't match into ER. From what I have heard, only 8 people, out of a class of 30 were able to enter the match.
One student didn't match, 3 others didn't match in what they wanted to go into (2 failed to get into ER, one failed to get into surgery).

Horrible - worse than any Caribbean school.

medical student12
02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Horrible technion news

skymall
04-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Medical student 12,
The Technion medical school is a wonderful program.
Notice how the user who has been posting all the above negativity about the Technion has now been banned. He is a bipolar kid who was thrown out of Emory medical school (Google it) then changed his name and forged documents to get into the Technion from which he was subsequently expelled. He has been working very hard to discredit what is an amazing medical program. All the above usernames which are now banned belong to that one individual. He posts absolute lies all over the internet. The 4th year students actually just matched wonderfully and the full match list can be found at the school's official website: American Medical School Program (http://teams.technion.ac.il/)
Check it out for yourself and feel free to message me privately if you would like to speak to me or other students who are actually in the program.
-Mack

Shmuelbejelo
05-03-2012, 08:25 PM
"skymall" above is an embittered first year student at the horrible medical program listed above. He is just upset because the Technion has already received emails from many residency program directors that they will not consider their students. He is lashing out like a fish out of water because he was naive and his excruciating ignorance landed him at such an unaccredited program.

If you do look at the match list- it reads like an epic failure. 60% of grads over the last three years have failed to obtain a residency. If you do speak to any current students, you will hear two opinions: 1) the school is wonderful and great and there are no problems and 2) stay as far away from this hellhole as possible and avoid such a sinking vessel of sorrow.

Guess who is telling the truth?

Hint: Read the articles about all the Technion TeAMs problems in The Chronicle of Higher Education (http://www.*************.com), Inside Higher Education, MacLeans (Canada), Ha'aretz, etc.

Trust the legitimate exposŤs, not some current shill for a third toilet program. Most students there have not even managed to get into a single DO or Caribbean program and now they fear going down with a sinking ship and some, like the charlatan above -are trying to con others to make the same awful mistake.

medimedistudent
04-27-2013, 04:01 PM
that is crazy and scandalous! I had no idea about any of this. why do people still apply to the program?! desperation?

Tricuspid
06-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Honestly i don't know, but if it were me any sort of bad news like this would cause me to steer clear. hundreds of thousands of dollars, and years of time are no joke to play around with.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.