PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian Medical Schools

sleenis
03-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Hi guys,

I am thinking of going to a university in Hungary this year. (Pecs or Semmelweis)

After reading many posts and forums, I think its fair to say that theoratical aspects in studying medicine at Hungarian universities is reasonable(first 3 years) but the actual clinical practice is poor.

So, I was wondering if it is possible to go do the clinical training elsewhere(from 4th year)?

If you can so, could you guys please tell me how and what is required and what would be helpful..etc?

Also lastly does anyone have a past entrance exam questions? I heard that entrance exams are ** but I just want to know the level etc.

Cheers people

medisfun
03-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Sleenis ,

I went to Hungary to see things directly . I stayed in Hungary for three days ,met some students and locals . The language is an astronomical task to begin with . Some locals are as nasty as you could never imagine .
I dont know where you are going to practice but think twice before committing your important part of life and huge amount of money to those universities .
I never forget one of the students at the university saying that she feels stomach sick all time in Hungary .I dont mean to scare you but I'm trying to draw a clear picture . If you want more information I'm here .

sleenis
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi medisfun

Thank you very much for you reply.

Which universities did you visit?

I heard many disgusting and nasty things about universities in Hungary on forums.

But a student I know who is in pecs university told me that the things arent so bad as one might think.

So could you please give me fair and straight views? It's not like I dont trust you but I just want to hear many different views from various people if you know what I mean before making any decisions. Can you tell me what it was like being there and tell me about your experience at Hungary?

Once again I really appreciate your answer to my post

medisfun
03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Hi again sleenis ,

You didn't tell me where will you be practising once you are done with your studies . It's very important fact .

sleenis
03-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey

Sorry about not specifying earlier but here is what I want to do after graduation

I am a non EU/US citizen but wanting to practise in US or EU countries.

Thank you again for replying.

medisfun
03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi sleenis ,

It's going to be climbing mountain Everest . They already have raised the hurdle to an unacceptable extend to their own citizens who are educated in different countries its even tougher for other citizens .

Having said that , it doesn't mean you should lose your hope and enthusiasm . Working hard is the main key to success .

Back to the main point I went to Szeged University . As I mentioned I stayed there for three days . The foreign student secretary office is located in the back yard of the university . The office is run by four or five Hungarian ladies . Just one can speak English and the rest just nod . But their eyes will tell you that they have plans for you !
I just want to quote here from one of the Japanese student's finding on regard to the behaviour of foreign students office , " If you are from developed country you are treated with envy and if you are from countries like India or African countries then if you complain about any distortion you wont be heard because they think if our system of education is bad why you are here ? "

An African students had a different story this time from one of the examiners . He had an exam and he was asked about vitamins and minerals deficiency affect on humans . I think he was trying to put everything in order and wanted to have a little time to bring up his answer at its best form . While doing this he was patronised by the examiner with these words : You should know this question better than anyone here because in Africa there is not enough food for the people anyway .

Out of the academic environment , I hired a cab to take me to the university from my hotel . I was in Tisza hotel and its a distance of five minutes from the university by walk ( I found that on the second day of my stay ) , but the cab driver drove for 40 minutes to take me to the university .

I don't know about Pecs because I didn't go there . I'm only speaking of experience . Review this thoroughly , get more references and know what kind of pond you want to swim in , SOME ARE TOO DEEP BUT LOOK TOO SHALLOW !

Good luck .

african_child
03-02-2011, 12:38 PM
" If you are from developed country you are treated with envy and if you are from countries like India or African countries then if you complain about any distortion you wont be heard because they think if our system of education is bad why you are here ? "

An African students had a different story this time from one of the examiners . He had an exam and he was asked about vitamins and minerals deficiency affect on humans . I think he was trying to put everything in order and wanted to have a little time to bring up his answer at its best form . While doing this he was patronised by the examiner with these words : You should know this question better than anyone here because in Africa there is not enough food for the people anyway .

Out of the academic environment , I hired a cab to take me to the university from my hotel . I was in Tisza hotel and its a distance of five minutes from the university by walk ( I found that on the second day of my stay ) , but the cab driver drove for 40 minutes to take me to the university .

I TOTALLY AGREE A ZILLION TIMES WITH THE ABOVE QUOTES, ESPECIALLY THOSE IN BOLD.
I support myself with this example. There was a time in internal medicine exams when when a professor openly abused me by saying that I had to know the neurological examination because my African country of origin is too poor for MRIs. Or the professors stare at us when they talk about starvation, HIV or malaria. Yes, there may not be open racism but if you're from the so-called Third-World countries, expect some racial slurs or innuendos and derogatory remarks here and there from the professors especially when you're alone together during oral exams.
The irony, however, is that the developed countries see no difference between Hungary and the so-called Third World countries.

sleenis
03-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Yikes, Hungary does sound pretty dodge!

From your experiences, it seems as though some Hungarian people are not educated well by having such skeptical views.

Thank you for your reply medisfun.

So now I'm wondering if those people are less existent in their capital city?(because more foreigners.. etc) or if its about the same situation as it seems in Szeged or Debrecen university?

So if you think Hungarian Unis are no go, which other university (thats annual fee is less than 15000euros) that would fit me? (maybe unis perhaps in Poland? if so could you please give me specific names?)

I really appreciate your advices medisfun!

medisfun
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey sleenis ,

My knowledge in this scope is as good as yours ! I wish I knew . You read hundred of different perception in this forum some of them helpful and some of them confusing . But the bottom line is that for most of these universities business comes first and providing a good education second .

They cant completely live up to your expectation .But you need to adopt and try to make most of it . That is a general advice . They want your money and its you to make your money and time worthwhile for yourself . Any where you go you will find a few bumps on the road .

If you want my honest advice study medicine in your homeland even if it means a couple of years of extra hard work or doing another degree ( relevant to medicine ) . I hope time is not against you on this dimension like myself .

Because you are not an EU citizen so having a qualification from Poland or Hungary doesn't give you hell of a lot of benefits . I hope you don't think that I'm trying to be nasty . My utter aim is to be realistic .

If you have money take a gap year and go for some intensive private tuitions and master your self in subjects like chemistry and biology , etc . You might then have a better chance or gushing confidence to face new challenges .

Good luck sleenis

lisabms
03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
so it means forget about university in hungary ???? Thanks

afternoon_tea
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I think the best approach is to work hard, focus, keep calm, then continue to work hard until you finish.

As a certain JFK once said - we choose to go to the moon and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

This is not an easy route. There are many challenges we need to face. But the successful end is definitely worth it.

cocuina
07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Hello!!
Does anyone have some information about 3rd year in Semmelweis??

Thank you!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.