PDA

View Full Version : AUA Ambassadors

MYAF
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
If you have any questions about the island, school campus, registration, classes, etc., please email us at aua.ambassadors gmail. We are a student organization that was created to assist incoming students and cultivate a positive student culture. We have members in AICASA, VET, & Med, and we would love to ease any concerns you might have!!!

Eucheira
03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi, I'm supposed to start AUA vet program Fall 2011. However, I'm highly hesitant whether it is worth to move to the island and start AUA. If it's guaranteed that I'll transfer to one of AVMA accredited veterinary schools after 1,5 years spending in AUA, I will have no doubt to start. When I visited AUA last summer, I got very disappointed due to the lack of information provided me by the administration. Nobody has given me a definite answers to my questions. In addition, there was inconsistency within the staff. I'm married with two kids, so this is a big life changing event for me, especially if there is no guarantee to obtain my DVM in 4-5 years. I hope that AUA help me to find a suitable accommodation, schools for my children and a guarantee to obtain my DVM within 4 years. Then I'm ready to move on, but I am not sure what to do at this moment.

futureDVM
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Please send me your questions and I will try to help you find the answers. I am a current Vet student and may be able to put some of your concerns to rest. If I don't have the answer, I will do my very best to find an answer for you. Please also read other posts by me on the other AUA vet school threads. Hopefully one of them will also help answer some of your questions.

Also, I apologize for not answering sooner. With classes going full swing right now and heading into finals, I do not check these forums often.

Eucheira
04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
It feels good that somebody replied me:-) One of my questions that i'm really looking for a definitive answer is the agreements with US vet schools for the clinical rotations. I want to make sure that I will transfer one of the US schools after 4 semesters studying in AUA. Virginia tech is accepting only 5-6 people/semester or year...what about the rest of AUA students?? I want to make sure that I will be back to US to earn my DVM at the end. Anyone knows an updated info and promising answer about this situation?

These 2 years studying in AUA is going to be very challenging for me both financially and morally, because I have a family with 2 little kids. These bring me a lot of responsibilities. I asked AUA help to find day cares and housing for me, but I got very disappointed. I don't know how things work in the island and it's very hard to arrange things from far distance since nothing works like in the US.

Anyone knows any safe and quality daycare and preschools in Antigua, I would greatly appreciate your help. Also affordable and safe apartments?

Look forward to hearing some replies!

dadams
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
As a faculty member with the College of Veterinary Medicine at the A.U.A., I can respond to a couple of your questions. The first question relates to signed agreements with veterinary colleges in the U.S. The Dean of our college died in office before finalizing a number of agreements with other schools. Our present Dean, Dr. Stanley Dennis, is negotiating with more than 10 AVMA accredited schools of Veterinary Medicne for clinical assignment of students. A number of these schools are in the U.S. and some are well established schools on other contenents. Our program of 5 semesters is one of universal preclinical study, one that will enable students to attend any of the schools with which we are in negotiation; these students will receive their degree from the institution to which they will transfer.
A second question pertains to day care, preschool, and housing. The response for housing would best be answered by an existing student of our college - so I will skip by this question. We do not receive many questions pertaining to day care and preschool, but I am told that there are excellent programs available, that some of the best have waiting lists. Perhaps the best way to answer this question would be for you to contact me directly by e-mail and I will then put you in contact with others who have experience with both day care and preschools on the island. Best wishes to you in your quest for a place to study veterinary medicine. Contact me directly by putting my name "dadams" with @
in front of "auavet.net"

tom22
08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
-------------------

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.