PDA

View Full Version : To All The Haters

blackangel10
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
I am going to try and keep this as professional as possible but if I fail in those efforts then I apologize in advance. While this post is for all audiences it is also for people like soniaa and Houmd :catfight:, who have made it their business to harass, insult, and undermine students and supporters of Atlantic Uni. School of Medicine.
My school is a new school and I am not ignorant of the possible challenges it might face. I do thank those that have highlighted these challenges. When I applied to this school, I was not misinformed about any state approval or lack thereof. I also did my homework and verified all the accreditation. They all checked out as stated on my school’s website. There are many Caribbean schools out there, some doing good and other not fairing too well. Some with tuition (and thus debt) higher than private US medical schools and some affordable for the average American. I found AUSOM to my liking based on the quality of teachers, infrastructure and affordability and intend to stick with it. Every medical school started from somewhere (Even the big 3 Caribbean med sch once had an opening day. I am sure people were not telling potential students for Florida Atlantic (FL) not to go there because the school just opened). http://www.valuemd.com/images/smilies/chillpill.gif At the end of the day, whether you go to Yale or the least medical school in the world, OR if the school is a day-old or 100 years old, it all boils down to results and scores (step 1, step 2 etc) and what you bring to the table compared to every other applicant nationally?

So what do you plan to bring? Great scores, good scores or mediocre scores? What else do you have? Do you have any publications? Have you done any research? What did they really write about you in that recommendation letter?
There are many docs (both in private practice and leading medical institutes) in US that have studied in little unknown medical schools in different parts of the world and yet are licensed to practice.

My class at AUSOM are a bunch of determined medical students, like some of you, that are ready to work hard . We are extremely happy with our school and quite pleased regardless of the length of time our school has been opened. Dr. Don, the 51yr old chiropractor, was thrilled and decided to share that with everyone on this forum. He misguidedly posted it on other schools’ forum. To which he apologized and even contacted a moderator to remove the duplicate posts. Regardless of whether you agree with his tactics and sentiments or not, I think we can all agree that his post was not meant to offend, hurt or debase anyone or any institute. Isn’t if unusual that you see a Caribbean medical student come to this forum to praise the school they attend? Unfortunately, it has been disheartening just reading posts from students outside of AUSOM or admin from other carib schools who are just bitter and trying to get into juvenile batter on “our school is better than yours” nonsense. Obliviously, some people cannot be happy that others love the school they attend. Or maybe they hope to make us as miserable as they are.

Soniaa http://www.valuemd.com/images/smilies/stirthepot.gif :nono: , if you are a student, try and show some respect for others. You do not have to agree with what everyone writes on this forum but you should learn to respect their opinion. All of your post on our school’s forum has been insulting, rude and shameful to say the least! You can correct but learn to be constructive in your criticism. Might I even suggest that you re-direct all that negative energy into biomedical research and a peer-reviewed publication in a medical journal (make sure to avoid plagiarism because most of your post on this forum is full of it) which might enhance your chances of obtaining a residency in the future. That is, if that’s your goal. On the other hand, if soniaa is an admin from another Caribbean medical school (some have speculated you might be), then you really should be ashamed of yourself. Can you possibly stoop any lower than this? It makes me wonder how you treat your own students…Frankly speaking, I do not care who you are but your posts says a lot about your character and level of maturity since you feel the need to tear others down just to make a point. Enough said.

AUSOM is new, it is still growing. The admin are nice and friendly, they listen to your input. The instructors are ready to help you anytime, even on weekends. Our lecture schedule gives us more time to study and assimilate what has been taught (but like any medical program, the study of medicine is still stressful). Fellow classmates have respect for each other, both in the classroom and outside. Everyone here looks out for the collective interest of others. Plus we are on the nice inexpensive island of St. Lucia.
And yes, we are happy we go to AUSOM.

If you want to become part of AUSOM then come to our open house on February 26th and 27th. We will welcome you with open arms and give you a tour.

NB: I would not be responding to any negative comments regarding this letter/ post.

houmd
02-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Good luck to you.

Most of us wouldn't ever be able to afford the heavy expenses at a place like SGU and so we settled for other adventures.

Students just need to know the caveats before entering on such an expensive journey. Unfortunately whenever a school opens up out of nowhere like this it has been the tendency for things to just go wrong without the students realizing it. I don't like seeing students get taken advantage of and I don't like seeing things happen like what happened at St. Martinus, St. Christophers, St. Theresas etc where students genuinely thought everything was perfect but that so many things were happening behind the scenes that terrible things happened all at once. This is exactly what I think of everytime that I hear of a new school popping up out of nowhere. I think of a new "business" opening up trying to get money from students.

The vast reality of the matter is that these schools are in fact businesses and nothing else. While each school has different varieties of professors (mine has a few amazing ones and a few not so great ones just like everywhere else) it ultimately comes down to the business aspect. When you have a school that opens up out of nowhere you don't have a reputable standing of the administration. The teachers may be great, the students may be great, but the fact of the matter is you have to ask yourself "How confident am I that this school will be standing and financially stable over the next 20yrs?" If you aren't extremely confident then you shouldn't be there, because it wouldn't be the first time that investors screwed over students to give up on the school/business to make sure they didn't go bankrupt.

This is my only warning to students.

I apologize if my previous comments seemed a bit harsh and outspoken but the true underlying message is above. Although I do still attest to the false advertisement I was witness to previously. This may or may not have been an isolated incident which is why I had to speak about that as well.

To everyone though, good luck, study hard, and remember that the best way to build your reputation (as a school) is through yourselves, but until this school has been open for at least a decade, don't expect a lot of stability or lack of hiccups along the way. Even the best new school will experience hiccups at the students' expense, and that is something that you should be expecting.

GADoctor
02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
You need "haters" to balance the blatant promotion of the school. There are often statements about these schools that are not necessarily incorrect, but are seriously misleading. The other worry is that many students don't understand what they are getting into before hand, and they fall for the hype. I can say this, because it happened to me. I then started all over again at one of the Big 4.

By the way, comparing this school to Florida Atlantic is not even remotely reasonable.
With that being said, I understand your position and respect it, but I do not necessarily agree with it. You need two sides of a story to know what is really going on.

cutelilMD
02-19-2011, 01:13 AM
to all you supporters
I'm glad that you guys have found your dream school, but all your posts are very generic, advertisement like, and extremely bias. I'm not here to be disrespectful, but do you realize how many students come here to read this? do you guys realize that misinforming a student could cost them their future as a physician. I have to admit that I accidentally misinformed a student in the past, and have tried my best to find this student to stop him from going to a school, unfortunately i was too late and all I can do is hope for the best. I think that it be best if you guys provide information that includes both the pros and the cons. It would also be helpful to provide information like how the class was taught, is it based on curves or not, how do you study for exams, what is the campus like, how is the facility and the labs, is there any dress codes, etc.. Basically, useful things that students can use to factor into their decisions. Post like "transferring to AUSOM is the best choice ever, the professors were all so helpful, and all the students are so determined," sounds like you are hypnotizing students to go there. All the readers here are adults, let them decide if they want to go to this school or not.

To all you haters
Comments like "don't go to this school because it's so new, and it will wreck your future," is so lame. How about searching for the real dirt and hidden issues about this school and post it on this forum so we can all read and discuss. Being Bias and going back and forth with the supporters are not going to help anyone, if you want to bring down this school, then find some real evidence that supports all your theories. About six months ago, I had my heart set on one school, but because some intelligent individual post real evidence and problems about that one school, he end up saving my career as a physician.

Both supporters and haters, you guys are here in this forum not to diss each other but to help people like me to embark in this wonderful journey.

axiomofchoice
02-19-2011, 04:09 AM
The advice not to go to a new school is objective. Generally the rule is: do your own research. If the school is 1 year old, there is no research to be done, just promises to trust or not trust, peoples opinions to believe or not believe, and worst of all, the hyping and sugar coating by people financially involved.

Regardless of where you go, you will see a lot of people's future get wrecked on this "wonderful journey"

swimchick
02-19-2011, 11:09 AM
merging thread b/c of duplicate topic

rokshana
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Comments like "don't go to this school because it's so new, and it will wreck your future," is so lame. .

actually its not so lame...just the fact that the school is new IS a point in the cons column (and IMHO) a pretty big one at that...being new put the school at a disadvantage for many reasons...any charter class is going to be a guinea pig class...there WILL be glitches, nothing will be consistant (what is there to compare with?) its the 1st time for everyone, incliding the professors, administraters, etc...questions in ones mind should ..how well does this prepare me for the steps? how much supprot will there be for me if i am struggling? how much more will my ability to do well on the steps be based on ME finding the info...yes the SCORE one gets in the steps is more the responsiblity of the student, but some schools make it easier and others make it harder...a new school is going to have it a little harder...

then there are the clinical yrs...there is NO info on the quality, and the quanitity of the clinical spots...more established schools are already going to have established clinical spots and you will have a better chance of getting all acgme rotations

and a new school will NOT have graduates...people can be a resource to the student to getting a residency spot and have exposed residency programs to the quality of the students that come from that school...many places that take IMGs do so because they have had graduates of that school in their programs....a new unproven school will not have this advantage...

and in terms of licensure, there are going to be states that you will not (nor EVER) be eligible to be licensed in...some states have a requirement that the school be established for 10, 15 yrs, have a graduated class, minimum time to be considered for approval...all of which a new school will not be able to do...

new and unproven IS a valid knock, just on the point OF being new and unproven.

yes, someone will say that oh, the established schools were new at one point...and at THAT time, they too would not be recommended...back in the day when sgu, auc, ross were new the more established schools were the schools in the DR and UAG...at that time those would have been the schools to consider....and maybe in 20-30 yrs, this school could be the same, but right, now...it has NO history, NO track record, NO reputation...it IS a big risk....if you choose to take it, so be it...but take it KNOWING the issues and the implications of going to a new school.

AUSOM Official
02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=rokshana;1352439]actually its not so lame...just the fact that the school is new IS a point in the cons column (and IMHO) a pretty big one at that...being new put the school at a disadvantage for many reasons...any charter class is going to be a guinea pig class...there WILL be glitches, nothing will be consistant (what is there to compare with?) its the 1st time for everyone, incliding the professors, administraters, etc...questions in ones mind should ..how well does this prepare me for the steps? how much supprot will there be for me if i am struggling? how much more will my ability to do well on the steps be based on ME finding the info...yes the SCORE one gets in the steps is more the responsiblity of the student, but some schools make it easier and others make it harder...a new school is going to have it a little harder...

While this statement would normally have some truth to it I will explain why AUSOM has a distinct advantage. Our Board of Directors have been in the field of educating U.S. Medical Students, Foreign Medical Students, Residents, and fellows at U.S. teaching hospitals for close to 100yrs collectively. Just one of our BOD's has been the President, CEO, and Chief Medical Officer for a chain of Catholic hospitals for 40yrs. His experience includes running the CSA for the ECFMG, writing questions for the USMLE step 1 exam, and he is currently under contract to write questions for the USMLE step 2 exam. He also has some 400 residents currently in his training programs. Sorry I should also mention that he is a Dean of Clinical Medicine and Professor of Medicine at a US Medical School. We also have another BOD that is an Associate Dean of Clinical Medicine and Professor of Medicine at another (different) US Medical School. He has almost 25 yrs of experience training students to fellows and has 150 residents currently in his program. So, what I'm saying here is that while AUSOM is a relatively new medical school the experience and expertise behind this program is well beyond that of most Caribbean Medical schools. It is through this experience that AUSOM students will benefit academically, the BOD's also have extensive professional relationships in the US that have allowed us to establish a clinical network for our clinical science program. While most new schools would have it a little harder our Board of Directors through their experience and professional relationships have allowed us to establish what will be recognized in the future as one of the more reputable respected Caribbean Medical Education programs.

rokshana
02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
While this statement would normally have some truth to it I will explain why AUSOM has a distinct advantage. Our Board of Directors have been in the field of educating U.S. Medical Students, Foreign Medical Students, Residents, and fellows at U.S. teaching hospitals for close to 100yrs collectively. Just one of our BOD's has been the President, CEO, and Chief Medical Officer for a chain of Catholic hospitals for 40yrs. His experience includes running the CSA for the ECFMG, writing questions for the USMLE step 1 exam, and he is currently under contract to write questions for the USMLE step 2 exam. He also has some 400 residents currently in his training programs. Sorry I should also mention that he is a Dean of Clinical Medicine and Professor of Medicine at a US Medical School. We also have another BOD that is an Associate Dean of Clinical Medicine and Professor of Medicine at another (different) US Medical School. He has almost 25 yrs of experience training students to fellows and has 150 residents currently in his program. So, what I'm saying here is that while AUSOM is a relatively new medical school the experience and expertise behind this program is well beyond that of most Caribbean Medical schools. It is through this experience that AUSOM students will benefit academically, the BOD's also have extensive professional relationships in the US that have allowed us to establish a clinical network for our clinical science program. While most new schools would have it a little harder our Board of Directors through their experience and professional relationships have allowed us to establish what will be recognized in the future as one of the more reputable respected Caribbean Medical Education programs.

and i appreciate that and it may be what allows your school to succeed and become a strong school...the same claim is made by UHMS...after all no one can say that the Ross family doesn't know a thing or two about running not only medical education but off shore medical education at that....but it still doesn't make UHMS the same as Ross....

same can be said of Trinity...the people running that school, heck the campus itself! are all previous sgu...again doesn't give them the same crediablity as sgu....harsh but true.

its good that you are starting out with a strong foundation, but you are still new and unproven and that is something prospectives need to know...the good schools realize this (again UHMS is a good example) and know its something they can't rush....others (please refer to the CMU forum) are shady from the get go...

you have a poster who is representing this school on other fora who states your school is able to do their 5th semester in NJ and >12 weeks of clinicals in NYS....either he has misunderstood or is getting false information....hopefully it is the former, since I know that neither are possible (per the respective states' laws)...you are the school official and should deseminate correct info, even if the answer is i dunno...the official on the UHMS board is a good example...IMHO he well represents his school yet doesn't hype things up as an advertiser for the school.

medic300107
02-19-2011, 06:01 PM
and i appreciate that and it may be what allows your school to succeed and become a strong school...the same claim is made by UHMS...after all no one can say that the Ross family doesn't know a thing or two about running not only medical education but off shore medical education at that....but it still doesn't make UHMS the same as Ross....

same can be said of Trinity...the people running that school, heck the campus itself! are all previous sgu...again doesn't give them the same crediablity as sgu....harsh but true.

its good that you are starting out with a strong foundation, but you are still new and unproven and that is something prospectives need to know...the good schools realize this (again UHMS is a good example) and know its something they can't rush....others (please refer to the CMU forum) are shady from the get go...

you have a poster who is representing this school on other fora who states your school is able to do their 5th semester in NJ and >12 weeks of clinicals in NYS....either he has misunderstood or is getting false information....hopefully it is the former, since I know that neither are possible (per the respective states' laws)...you are the school official and should deseminate correct info, even if the answer is i dunno...the official on the UHMS board is a good example...IMHO he well represents his school yet doesn't hype things up as an advertiser for the school.

same poster said AUSOM administration informed them they would be doing 4th semester of basic sciences in Baltimore. Also a BOD is not day to day operations, they are designed for the future of a school. While important, the President, Dean, and Professors are what really make a school run and the education what it will be. Lastly, while very nice credentials those BOD members sound like they are so busy how much time are they really devoting to AUSOM? Lastly, you haven't listed one specific rotation at a specific hospital that you have secured as of yet. Something prospective students need to know about is if you haven't actually secured them yet. Deals in the works don't count.

MedMD
02-20-2011, 04:09 PM
to all you supporters
I'm glad that you guys have found your dream school, but all your posts are very generic, advertisement like, and extremely bias. I'm not here to be disrespectful, but do you realize how many students come here to read this? do you guys realize that misinforming a student could cost them their future as a physician. I have to admit that I accidentally misinformed a student in the past, and have tried my best to find this student to stop him from going to a school, unfortunately i was too late and all I can do is hope for the best. I think that it be best if you guys provide information that includes both the pros and the cons. It would also be helpful to provide information like how the class was taught, is it based on curves or not, how do you study for exams, what is the campus like, how is the facility and the labs, is there any dress codes, etc.. Basically, useful things that students can use to factor into their decisions. Post like "transferring to AUSOM is the best choice ever, the professors were all so helpful, and all the students are so determined," sounds like you are hypnotizing students to go there. All the readers here are adults, let them decide if they want to go to this school or not.

This is a good post. THat is exactly what these guys/girls should be doing. They should tell everyone how many students are in each semester (I'm assuming very very little based on how hard they r trying to recruit), they should provide information on the hospitals that are directly affiliated with the school, how many states can you apply for residency (and where do you do your clinicals), who writes the exams, the campus condition, internet, so on..)

Instead you see statements like these:

1) come don't miss this opportunity, don't miss out
2) teachers are good and helpful
3) every post they write, they say, go to the website join us, hurry/ and then one of them posts on diff school forums about how he is happy..

If you notice these 3 things, no solid information about the school, Just advertisement. I'm not being disrespectful, i'm just telling you how it looks like to students that don't attend this school. Solid info is what helps a school out, not just "best choice" here and "happy" there, that is just an opinion.

Tiger26
05-01-2011, 08:10 AM
As a student of AUSOM I have posted on another thread on the AUSOM forum about hospitals and an another student on another thread has posted exactly how MD5 works at AUSOM.. If you have questions email me at my yahoo email: tiger2689

medic300107
05-01-2011, 09:45 AM
As a student of AUSOM I have posted on another thread on the AUSOM forum about hospitals and an another student on another thread has posted exactly how MD5 works at AUSOM.. If you have questions email me at my yahoo email: tiger2689

reiterating my previous posts, specifically name 1 hospital AUSOM is affiliated with.

Tiger26
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital is the MD5 hospital affiliate..

axiomofchoice
05-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Too bad you're not allowed to rotate in NJ.

Tiger26
05-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes I know we can't do rotations there. I just was telling him a hospital that AUSOM is affiliated with.. In another thread I have listed some states where they do have rotations..

medic300107
05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes I know we can't do rotations there. I just was telling him a hospital that AUSOM is affiliated with.. In another thread I have listed some states where they do have rotations..

Confused, how is the MD 5 there? No one but Ross and SGU can even have an affiliation with a Jersey hospital. It is illegal. You did list states, please list 1 specific verifiable hospital that I can call and ask.

hopefuldoc74
05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
In my opinion, the best advertising will be practicing doctors. It may be too early to tell but if the school keeps chugging along and produces grads who get licensed that will speak volumes.

medic300107
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
copy of the email i sent to RWJUH -

"I was told you are an affiliate with Atlantic University School of Medicine for their MD5 semester. I was thinking of applying and wanted to know because I thought only Ross and SGU could have affiliations in NJ. Thank you."

Tiger it's not that I don't believe you, I don't believe anyone. Until there is 1 verifiable rotation I will continue to warn people that this school has not yet secured rotations, and if they have are already being shady about it. PM me a site, I promise not to share it with anyone, and I go to Ross, I have no dog in this hunt. My only goal here is to find out if this school is legit or not for future students who might make this their school decision.

rokshana
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital is the MD5 hospital affiliate..

pure and simple...not possible...no foreign school is allowed to do clinical rotations in the state of NJ, other than those that have been granfathered in...to my knowledge, that includes only Ross, UAG, and SGU.

if your MD5 is a clinical term, then simply, your students canNOT rotate in NJ legally...if MD5 is a PRE clinical term , then it doesn't make a difference if the school is "affliated" with RWJ UH....you aren't doing rotations there, mybe sitting in classes...

medic300107
05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
pure and simple...not possible...no foreign school is allowed to do clinical rotations in the state of NJ, other than those that have been granfathered in...to my knowledge, that includes only Ross, UAG, and SGU.

if your MD5 is a clinical term, then simply, your students canNOT rotate in NJ legally...if MD5 is a PRE clinical term , then it doesn't make a difference if the school is "affliated" with RWJ UH....you aren't doing rotations there, mybe sitting in classes...

Rok,

If it isn't a clinical term wouldn't it be considered Basic Sciences, and in that case not LCME approved thus not able to be licensed later anyway? Either way something doesn't add up.

cutelilMD
05-04-2011, 11:05 PM

I smell third party rotation, that's a no bueno

rokshana
05-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Rok,

If it isn't a clinical term wouldn't it be considered Basic Sciences, and in that case not LCME approved thus not able to be licensed later anyway? Either way something doesn't add up.

since it seems to be newsworthy when a caribbean school becomes affliated with UMDNJ

UMDNJ and Grenada medical school move to head off physician shortage projected for N.J. | Healthquest | NewJerseyNewsroom.com -- Your State. Your News. (http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/healthquest/umdnj-and-grenada-medical-school-move-to-head-off-physician-shortage-projected-for-nj)

i seriously doubt this school has one with them....but LCME would have nothing to do with this...many states (NJ beong one of them) requires foreign med schools to do basics at the home institution so doing basics science in the US can make the student ineligible for licensure and as has been stated before, only SGU, Ross and UAG are able to send students to NJ for clinical rotations.

soniaa
05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Does this school even have one clinical site, Greenbook rotations ??

Tiger26
06-25-2011, 12:59 PM
They have students in greenbook rotations right now.. call the school they will let you know what states they have greenbook rotations..

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.