PDA

View Full Version : Canadian students without MCAT

A-Rogue
02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi All,

Saba doesn't require the MCAT for Canadian students. I have a 3.6 GPA at a top Canadian school, lots of life experience, EC's, research etc etc. I've been told at Ross I need a 19 or 20 on the MCAT for direct admission with my GPA. The thing is, I don't want to go to Ross. My organic chem class finishes mid June this year so I am applying for Jan 2012. In your opinion, with Jan being less competitive how would you gauge my chances?

Hope all is well for those of you on the island!

xraychump
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey A-rogue
I saw posted on an earlier thread that you were fromg kingston. I too am from kingston and looking to explore my studies abroad. Wondering if we could meet up sometime and cross ideas about our plans. Perhaps you could Pm me with yoru contact info? e-mail/phone nubmer since I can't pm because I am new to this thread. Thanks

soniaa
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
I suggest you take the MCAT, it will give you an opportunity to apply to the other Big 4 Schools

Pinetrees
02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
It is interesting that Canadian students are "highly encouraged" to take the MCAT but are not required to take it for admission to Saba. This does make bring up a question:

How important is it to consider the MCAT exam for admission to medical school? Given the fact that over the past decade a vast majority of students at Saba are Canadian due to lack of the school to obtain U.S. federal loans (has caused a huge decrease in U.S. applicants to this school). Now, if Canadians do not need to take the MCAT, why require the U.S. applicants to take the exam? The argument cannot be made that the MCAT is an important predictor of success in medical school, because the numbers clearly show that the majority of students are Canadian, do not have to submit an MCAT score and can still make it thru the curriculum.

Seems like a weird double standard. The only rationale behind this dichotomy seems to be that Saba in order to remain 50-state approved needs as one stipulation to demonstrate that their admissions criteria are consistent with U.S. medical schools (e.g. "we require MCAT of U.S. applicants).

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.