PDA

View Full Version : Semmelweis Tuition Increases

Panda
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

The reason I had chosen to apply for a Hungarian med school was because it seemed to be affordable. I had seen on the site a few months back that the tuition was around 10k. Now that I check I noticed that tuition is 8200 per semester which works out to around 16k a year. Why has tuition gone up so much?

Should I still consider Hungarian Med school at 16k for 6 years + living costs or
should I look into Caribbean Med Schools at 20k for 4 years + living costs

Perhaps the Hungarian Med schools in the end are more affordable as living costs are less?

waltfw
02-05-2011, 04:56 AM
You could try Poland. Living costs will be more, but tuition is less (12k in Poznan)

brusmani
02-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Do You have a degree already???
Honestly...If You have a degree,don't wast your time.If You choose to go to a caribbean med school,You'll be studying for 4 years,relevant subjects.In Hungary or any other eastern.european medical schools,and sometimes even western med schools(Italy,Spain ie),You'll be studying rubbish as well,Physics,Biophysics,maths,Chemistry,etc...Also ,You'll have to learn a slavic language(or finno-Ugaric in this case)...
It's all about where You want to practice and how keen you are on learning a "useless" language(useless because You're not gonna practice there,You'll graduate and go away).
If You want to work in the EU someday,then it's interesting to study physics,maths,latin,biophysics,etc...even if You get angry and don't understand why you're studying all this crap,because You'll have a EU degree which is recognized in the 30 countries,but if You want to practice in America,then...You should go to a caribbean med school.it's quicker,only relevant subjects and they prepare you for the USMLEs,whereas in Europe You have to prepare by yourself.
As for living costs,Budapest is quite expensive compared to other eastern european cities(Prague,Krakow,etc...)Indeed,Poland is cheaper and the Poznan uni is better.
I don't know about living costs in the caribbean though...

Panda
02-05-2011, 11:05 PM
thanks for the replies guys, yeah i was definitely considering Caribbean since I will be done faster, but most of the schools are quite expensive, especially the most recognized ones. Living costs are around 30k for the 4 years. I was considering Poland as well but need to write the MCAT soon as they require Canadians to take that now.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.