PDA

View Full Version : Basic Science Curriculum

ds86
02-04-2011, 12:49 AM
How exactly is the basic science five semester setup. I noticed on their webpage they have updated things. They dont have neuro or path 1 listed. Are these still done? What exactly has changed with their curriculum and why did they decide to do it?

JohnI
02-04-2011, 09:02 AM
How exactly is the basic science five semester setup. I noticed on their webpage they have updated things. They dont have neuro or path 1 listed. Are these still done? What exactly has changed with their curriculum and why did they decide to do it?

There is only one reason why school changes curriculum -it is desperately trying to bring STEP 1 passing score up. New curriculum is similar to that of Saba and was approved last semester. I do not think it's going to change anything drastically - it's not a problem with curriculum, the question is who implements it???.
Here is link to article with passing rates up to 2007 Medical Education in the Caribbean: Variability in Medical S... : Academic Medicine (http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2008/10001/Medical_Education_in_the_Caribbean__Variability_in .9.aspx)
Little bit out of date but still you can see that SMU graduates' STEP 1 passing rate at that time was 33.4%. There is new one with analysis till 2009. As soon as I have it I'll post it.
http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/_layouts/oaks.journals/ImageView.aspx?k=academicmedicine:2009:10001:00005&i=TT1http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/_layouts/oaks.journals/ImageView.aspx?k=academicmedicine:2009:10001:00005&i=TT1

ds86
02-04-2011, 12:56 PM
So what exactly are the changes though? I noticed they took out certain classes. Are these now incorporated into other classes?

JohnI
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
So what exactly are the changes though? I noticed they took out certain classes. Are these now incorporated into other classes?

They just increased number of hours from 118 to 138. I am just wondering how long administration has known that curriculum was insufficient?

The dissenter
02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=JohnI;1348345]There is only one reason why school changes curriculum -it is desperately trying to bring STEP 1 passing score up. New curriculum is similar to that of Saba and was approved last semester. I do not think it's going to change anything drastically - it's not a problem with curriculum, the question is who implements it???.
Here is link to article with passing rates up to 2007
Little bit out of date but still you can see that SMU graduates' STEP 1 passing rate at that time was 33.4%. There is new one with analysis till 2009. As soon as I have it I'll post it.

They told us repeatedly that the passing percentage for step one in the USMLE is 90%! So what is the deal with the 33%?

azulpanther
02-04-2011, 10:43 PM
that was 4 yrs ago. The school has changed alot in those years. I dont think its 90% but it should be in the 80s

JohnI
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM
that was 4 yrs ago. The school has changed alot in those years. I dont think its 90% but it should be in the 80s

Why curriculum changes then???
In 80s??? LOL...

The Man
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
They think changing the curriculum will make a difference. The answer is NO.

The problem is not the curriculum or the students, the problem is the way that assesments, exams and teaching is carried out here.

If they really want the step scores to go up all they have to do is:

1. Stop lecturers from writing their own exams (Many of the lecturers here have no clue when it comes to writing exams that are relevant for the NBME and eventual Step 1)

Solution: All block exam questions should be from either Kaplan/USMLErx/First Aid etc (this will stop students from just cramming powerpoints)

2. No more basing exams off powerpoints (Not all of the lecturers here, but some, have their own agenda regarding what is and is not important for exams

Solution: Block exams should reflect what you would expect to find in Kaplan or First Aid (Nothing more than that)

3. Anything that you would'nt find in Kaplan or USMLEworld should not be taught or examined

The step scores are bad because students here just memorize without understanding, and this is because of the school policy of overloading students with unnecessary information that is not required at board level (apart from Pathology, Anatomy, Physiology and maybe Behavioral) they dont stick to what is required/high yield for the step.

I'll be finished soon but its a shame when you find yourself reading unnecessary info in powerpoints just so you can get through blocks when the basic info needed for the step is not even examined

shades mccool
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I believe the problem is the quality of the students. Some need to be in medical school, but the majority probably do not. The majority of the students that pass all their classes (the first time) pass Step 1. The students that struggle are the ones that have multiple retakes and limp in to take Step 1.

MedMan87
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I believe the problem is the quality of the students. Some need to be in medical school, but the majority probably do not. The majority of the students that pass all their classes (the first time) pass Step 1. The students that struggle are the ones that have multiple retakes and limp in to take Step 1.

Being a current student I'm going to agree with this point, the curriculum is hit and miss we have good and bad teachers. There is a fairly good mix, I'd definitely say that quality of students as a major major impact on step1 pass score and shouldn't reflect on the schools ability to train students.

doctaaa
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Being a current student I'm going to agree with this point, the curriculum is hit and miss we have good and bad teachers. There is a fairly good mix, I'd definitely say that quality of students as a major major impact on step1 pass score and shouldn't reflect on the schools ability to train students.

MedMan...besides the increase in hours from 118 to 138, what's the current curriculum like?
Is the curriculum on their website up to date? (can't post links but go to their website then /med_curriculum_basic-science-curriculum.shtml)

Any advice from current students is most welcome. Also, do you know anything about the 5th semester/Step 1 prep? Is Kaplan still doing it?

The Man
02-21-2011, 06:36 PM
MedMan...besides the increase in hours from 118 to 138, what's the current curriculum like?
Is the curriculum on their website up to date? (can't post links but go to their website then /med_curriculum_basic-science-curriculum.shtml)

Any advice from current students is most welcome. Also, do you know anything about the 5th semester/Step 1 prep? Is Kaplan still doing it?

I'm a current student and my advice for you is do NOT come here (you'll be making a big mistake) try AUA if you have a chance. The current changes that have been made to the curriculum by our dean should put you off coming here. As of right now SMU has the highest credit load per semester than any caribbean school (including the big 4) you literally have no time to study here (it was not like this a semester or two ago).

I'll be taking the step soon and they've been messing with the credit hours. Literally they force you to be in class all day and you have no time to rest or study. This is not the case in ANY other caribbean school. (SGU, AUC, Ross included)
They're trying so hard to be like SABA which has a stupidly high attrition rate. If you're coming here good luck. It was easier for us in the upper semesters but those coming in are going to find it extra hard.

Btw if you read my other posts in the forum you'll see that there are other more important reasons to not come here

JohnI
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm a current student and my advice for you is do NOT come here (you'll be making a big mistake) try AUA if you have a chance. The current changes that have been made to the curriculum by our dean should put you off coming here. As of right now SMU has the highest credit load per semester than any caribbean school (including the big 4) you literally have no time to study here (it was not like this a semester or two ago).

I'll be taking the step soon and they've been messing with the credit hours. Literally they force you to be in class all day and you have no time to rest or study. This is not the case in ANY other caribbean school. (SGU, AUC, Ross included)
They're trying so hard to be like SABA which has a stupidly high attrition rate. If you're coming here good luck. It was easier for us in the upper semesters but those coming in are going to find it extra hard.

Btw if you read my other posts in the forum you'll see that there are other more important reasons to not come here

That what I was trying to tell all the time... Find another place... School wants to compensate faculty's poor teaching skills and knowledge with increased number of hours as if it's going to help to improve faculty...
This is common problem for Carib medical school to hire poorly prepared faculties from 3rd world. Especially in case of SMU where the dean has nothing to do with medicine, does not understand and does not know how to prepare medical doctors, and abuses his power to invite even more unqualified "friends and family."... Administration could have appointed vet doctor as a dean and achieve better results.. Basic med science approaches for animals and humans are pretty much the same....:-D
There is on top of all problems so called corporate greed. Owners are trying to squeeze as much as it humanly possible sacrificing on teaching quality. Who would want to count cents they pay to live on one of most expensive Caribbean islands, only faculties employed at present by SMU. No American faculty would work for this salary...
Have you see last pearl on SMUs webpage??? The dean is asking for fund raiser to help child of one of the staff members... How dare these people to ask for money students and faculty if school on Basic Science alone earns about 15 million dollars per year???? Could not spare few G to help??? Shame, Shame, Shame!!!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.