PDA

View Full Version : PUCMM, UASD, and UNPHU

DrDiamond
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. The schools that I'm interested in are: PUCMM, UASD, and UNPHU. I have a BA from the US but I'd rather not mention it because my GPA is very low and anyway, I plan to do the pre-med requirements at the med schools (it looks like the 3 I'm interested in include pre-med in the program). Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

hipocratesmd
03-26-2011, 02:19 AM
I would say PUCMM, UNIBE or UCNE. Can't recommend UCE I have seen the place and a couple of friend that are there trying to transfer out. The university won't hand over the transcripts. Hope this helps by the way your GPA has to higher that 2.50 in some and in UNIBE above 3.00.

MommyPR
05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
As a mother with 2 students starting Med school in August 2011, we did A LOT of research and based on our info, PUCMM is the BEST option for many reasons: quality of university; very well accredited; timeframe of studies; location - excellent town; PRICE!!! considerable lower than many others; great personell always willing to answer yuor questions and assist in any way they can; cost of living is really low!!!

If you are a transfer student you must have your documents in before June 21, 2011 in order to start in August. If your starting from zero then the entrance exam is on June 16 and on July 18 for the August semester.

Good luck!!! And if you have any questions and I can help, be more than glad too!!!!

panol7
06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey MommyPR, I have rad some of your posts, can you help me with how the admission process goes, payments, documents to submit, and living arrangements for foreign students. I am Cuban and live in USA, if I go to PUCMM, I will have to go with husband and son. Since you have your children already in there, can you tell me if its hard to get admitted, I have GPA 3.5 and ans AS in Nursing. I have been trying to contact admissions office, but have been unable to get through. Thansk for all the help in advance. And hope to hear from you soon!!!

tartesos
06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
PUCMM is the best university for a foreign to go, but spanish is an issue( you must speak it or learn it). after that, you will get a great education, you will have no problems passing USMLE( look at all the graduates they have in USA) and the school will work with you for you transcripts and all.
i went to school in la UASD, im proud of my school and my education but i have to admit it is not foreing friendly( no discrimination or anything of the sort, but the only english youll practice will be in the language faculty if any lol), although its the cheapest one( 624 dollars per semester).
i have been to PUCMM and have a lot of friends( and co residents that are very good) that came from that university.

Trauma Doc
07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I know the classes at PUCMM and UASD are taught in Spanish. However, if you don't speak Spanish, does either school help you learn the language? Are there any special provisions for non-Spanish speaking students? After all you wouldn't want to go to a school and fail out because you don't understand the questions on the test!!

MommyPR
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Hey MommyPR, I have rad some of your posts, can you help me with how the admission process goes, payments, documents to submit, and living arrangements for foreign students. I am Cuban and live in USA, if I go to PUCMM, I will have to go with husband and son. Since you have your children already in there, can you tell me if its hard to get admitted, I have GPA 3.5 and ans AS in Nursing. I have been trying to contact admissions office, but have been unable to get through. Thansk for all the help in advance. And hope to hear from you soon!!!

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I have been somewhat kind of busy and have traveled to DR also.

The admission process in PUCMM is fairly simple. You can fill out the application online and then print out your confirmation - that way when you actually go to submit your other documents all they do is print out your application. You need to get all your college transcripts, not sure if you also have to include your high school transcripts and diploma, but I would get them just in case. These documents must be certified by your Board of Education and you must take them to your Department of State to have them certified as legal and official documents from your state (I guess each state has a differente process so you must verify what your state requires). You also need to do this process with your passsport and your birth certificate. You need a health certificate as well and two passport type photos.

Once you have all this, you must go to the Dominican Republic, first to Santo Domingo, the capital, were you must visit the Ministerior de Educacion and give them a copy of all your "legalized" high school credit transcripts and high school diploma. They will give you a confirmation of received documents which the PUCMM needs a copy also. Then you go to the MESCYT, which is like the board of education for colleges. Here you need to have the originals (keep a copy or two for your records) of all your "legalized" college transcripts and diploma. They charge you $250US for each credit transcript, meaning if you went to more than 1 college it will be more. The advantage of the MESCYT is that they actually deliver the finalized certified document to PUCMM. The documents from the Ministerio de Educacion you must pick them up yourself after about 30 days and take them to the PUCMM.

All other documents you take to the PUCMM. Since you are a transfer student (don't have a BA) I believe you must pay $400.00 which includes your transfer and the validation of up to 5 classes, each additional class is $700 PESOS.

Since you are a college transfer you do not need to take an admission test, you will however have to take an english test to determine your proficiency and they will convalidate up to 7 of the 9 levels of english they offer.

Like I mentioned it is a fairly easy process. It took me much more time and effort to get all my documents in order and "legalized" in PR than the actual process in PUCMM.

You must check the calendar to see the cut off dates fore ach semester as well as the test days so you can plan your trip around them.

Also you need to have all your FAFSA documents and studen loan documents filled out and have a copy of your income tax forms. I recommend you visit the economic aid dept. in PUCMM when you go the first time and they will review what you have and let you know what your missing.

Regarding apartments I found the best area was Reparto Imperial, it's located just outside the gate of PUCMM that's wihtin the pool area. Apartments are comfortable, well kept and maintained, it's a very short walking distance to PUCMM and prices range between $300-$400US including maintenance. PUCMM will provide you with a list of apartments available for rent as well as a map of the area which really helps.

For me as a parent, I feel I have taken the best decision for my children. When you first walk in PUCMM you get this feeling of security of a certain peace. I am sure it has it's problems as all colleges and universities do, but up to this moment, everything I have experienced has been positive.

I've also had a very good experience with the phones, every time I've called I've been able to speak to someone and they all have been extremely helpful.

Hope this answers your questions, if you need anything else, let me know.

Take care, God bless and lots of luck !!!!

Ivelisse

Trauma Doc
07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
MommyPR, do you know the answer to this question?

I know the classes at PUCMM and UASD are taught in Spanish. However, if you don't speak Spanish, does either school help you learn the language? Are there any special provisions for non-Spanish speaking students? After all you wouldn't want to go to a school and fail out because you don't understand the questions on the test!!

Thank you for your help

Trauma Doc

labacna
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
PUCMM its the best than other universities

hipocratesmd
09-22-2011, 08:49 PM
PUCMM its the best than other universities

That's an opinion I will grant that its one of the best but saying its the best! Is a matter of personal choice... Because I could say Johns Hopkins is the best and someone would say No Harvard or Penn or Yale etc etc... soo MY OPINION is that is a very GOOD University in the DR. Have a lovely evening!

washa
02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Do you want to learn? UASD, UNPHU and PUCMM ( In SAntiago). UASD it's very hard, no special treatment, you really learn a lot, GPA is not going to matter, what does matter is your availability to learn and know that you are gonna be in a worldwide recognize University in wich you are gonna be able to practice which ever state you choose in the future, you'll learn a lot, you will graduate being a real MD,very good program. UNIBE, super easy, they get essays for final exam, teachers accomodate your needs ( $$$), you won't learn until you start studying for the boards, you won't be able to practice in a couple states ( California, for ex, but there's a couple more). UNPHU excellent university, very good program, but hard as well, GPA may matter, you have to give your all because at the end when you start doing the rotation these students and UASD students are the only one working very hard at the hospitals, you'll learn a lot.
For me honestly, UNPHU is the best and PUCMM if you decide to do it in Santiago ( another city). UASD And UNPHU are in the capital. UNIBE no way, i won't even say anything about it. Everybody has their own opinion and everything depends on how you want become an MD, and why. : )

washa
02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Another thing, If you want to study in the capital UNPHU, but if you are thinking of studying in Santiago ( 2 hours from the capital ) PUCMM. In my opinion also look for school recognize in all states in US, some of them are not. BUt you will know these when you pass your boards and star applying for residency and you don't get accept it In different programs because of where you graduated. Always ask the medical school that question. I know UASD it's recognized worldwide.

hipocratesmd
02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. The schools that I'm interested in are: PUCMM, UASD, and UNPHU. I have a BA from the US but I'd rather not mention it because my GPA is very low and anyway, I plan to do the pre-med requirements at the med schools (it looks like the 3 I'm interested in include pre-med in the program). Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

UASD everything is true BUT ( NO STUDENT LOANS), PUCMM ( LOST STUDENT LOANS) and its by semester not trimester. ( more time)

victor next MD
05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
UASD is cheapest school .but it ok

JP21
05-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Hi All
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. I'm interested to PUCMM and I want to start in January 2013. I'm 29 year old and I don't speak spanish but a few English, sometimes I think I'm too old for Medical school. cause it take too long 5.5 so I will have almost 36. But despite everything I don't want abandon my DREAMS. Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

JP

|

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.