PDA

View Full Version : Mcat

Dr. Prince
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Does Mcat required or recommended for student applying at UNIBE?

Dr. Mixmasta
01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes Unibe is requiring the MCAT now

jods
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
when my friend called their adm office back in oct of 2010, they told him the MCAT was not req. He was also told that the school would not accept his transfer credits, i was under the impression from this website that your school did accept these credits

YooMD
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
what is the minimum MCAT score needed?

Dr. Mixmasta
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Well, they recently changed the curriculum and admissions criteria, now its called the International MD track. Its for foreign students that wish to practice in the US.

Score that u need to get in, i really dont know, the best thing that u can do is call and tell them where ur standing

YooMD
01-22-2011, 05:40 AM
I heard MCAT is not required for pre-med applicants

Alpha2g1
01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I just got off the the phone with admissions and for 2011 you will need to take the MCAT if you are planning to go directly into the medicine program. There is no minimum score required since they just implemented that requirement. Obviously the better you do on the MCAT the better you chances are to get into other med schools, in case you change your mind.

Also you need to have an overall GPA of 3.0 to get in directly into the medicine program, they won't separate just your science courses.

For example. My undergrad is in electrical engineering with a 2.8 GPA, but my sciences are 3.2 GPA. they will look at the 2.8 GPA.

One good thing is if you don't meet all the required stuff to get directly into the medicine program, you can get into the pre-med program (WHICH DOES NOT REQUIRE MCAT) to finish the pre-requisites, and therefore you won't have to re-apply to the medicine program, you will just continue onto it once all your pre-requisites are out of the way.
Call admissions or send them an email. They were friendly, and responded to all my questions.

Bree20
01-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I know you can get your financial from the US at UNIBE the fafsa and all of that.
my questios is: I am a US Citizen born in New York , I want to move to DR and go to UNIBE, if i do my Dominican citizenship, can I still get my US assitance while paying the prices a Dominican does?

Alpha2g1
01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
The only way to get the DR tuition rate is to do dual citizenship, and prove that you live in the DR, for X amount of time. Also you need to apply to the Spanish program to get the rate. As long as you are a US citizen you will qualify for FAFSA, and the loans. So most likely it can work out for you, but I would double check with Financial aid, and keep in mind that it takes time to get the DR citizenship.

YooMD
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
PXtheodre- hello? why are you such avid poster in this thread despite studying engin for undergrad? y did you change your career?

Alpha2g1
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
@YooMD

The reason I posted in this thread is because I'm planning on applying to UNIBE (US Schools way to expensive) to start the MD program, starting September 2011. I'm currently studying for the MCAT (it sucks). When I initially checked UNIBE the MCAT was not required, but when checking again this year, it is now required.

My undergrad is in Electrical Engineering. Medicine is something that I've been interested in doing for the past 3 years. My undergrad in EE I did because I love math, and science, and technology. So EE was a perfect fit for me. I have a great job, making good money which I love, but I've decided to change my career because, I want to help people, I love science, and intrigued by the human body and I feel that I can do more with an MD degree. I'm from Haiti, and that last earthquake made me realize how important an MD degree can be. I really wanted to go back and help there, but with the field I'm currently working in there's not much I could off done. So I want to get an MD degree, to hopefully make a difference (all that sappy stuff), and eventually travel around like a missionary offering aide where I can.....I think I'm gonna put some of this on my 'Why I want to be a doctor biography' :)

YooMD
01-29-2011, 12:48 AM
@YooMD

The reason I posted in this thread is because I'm planning on applying to UNIBE (US Schools way to expensive) to start the MD program, starting September 2011. I'm currently studying for the MCAT (it sucks). When I initially checked UNIBE the MCAT was not required, but when checking again this year, it is now required.

My undergrad is in Electrical Engineering. Medicine is something that I've been interested in doing for the past 3 years. My undergrad in EE I did because I love math, and science, and technology. So EE was a perfect fit for me. I have a great job, making good money which I love, but I've decided to change my career because, I want to help people, I love science, and intrigued by the human body and I feel that I can do more with an MD degree. I'm from Haiti, and that last earthquake made me realize how important an MD degree can be. I really wanted to go back and help there, but with the field I'm currently working in there's not much I could off done. So I want to get an MD degree, to hopefully make a difference (all that sappy stuff), and eventually travel around like a missionary offering aide where I can.....I think I'm gonna put some of this on my 'Why I want to be a doctor biography' :)

Inspiring story and I hope you accomplish your dream! I know the MCAT is fruastrating.... I just took the MCAT today... I think I bombed it today...I am applying pre-med program because they require medical term, anatomy, and physiology class to join MD program... are you in a similar situation?

Alpha2g1
01-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks YooMD.

Hopefully you didn't do as bad as you think you did on the MCAT. For UNIBE pre-med you don't need the MCAT to get into that program. I spoke to the admissions lady, she said if you don't have the 3.0 GPA, and all the pre-reqs you can apply for the pre-med without the MCAT to get in, and once you are in the pre-med you get automatically filtered into the Med program without reapplying or taking the MCAT, which is pretty sweet.

I got all my pre-meds out of the way already because I was going to apply to the US Schools, until I saw the tuition's :). I'm going to apply to UNIBE Med program, and hoping that I meet all the requirements for them, which would save me some time and money. Worst case scenario I will just go pre-med route and spend the extra year enjoying DR, and getting my Spanish up to Par. So, yah we are in somewhat similar situations.

Are you also applying for September 2011 as well?

delala
03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
PXTheodore, How are you? Im planning on applying for september 2001 or jan 2012. I have a bachelor in nursing, Im wondering if the classes at UNIBE are in English?

PS: Im from Haiti also

Alpha2g1
03-15-2011, 12:13 AM
@Delala

Yep the courses are in English. They also have them in Spanish as well.

Dr.Zoidberg
04-20-2011, 01:00 AM
mcat is recommended but not required

Alpha2g1
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
@Dr.Zoidberg
Is this something new? Also are you a student or staff member of UNIBE?

Molecule of Life
04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
C'mon people, we need better doctors out there!

www (dot) wikipremed (dot) com

egp5789
04-27-2011, 11:03 AM
mcat is recommended but not required
About a year ago when I first started inquiring about UNIBE, they said they would require the mcat towards the end of 2010. It looks like it is now required for the med program according to their website and everyone on here.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.