PDA

View Full Version : Problem at SMU?

MissMD2011
01-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey everyone, I am planning on applying for Med and I would just like an honest opinion from students currently attending this university about the pros/cons of this school.
Like if students are having difficulties, are the proffs approachable with a kind and sincere attitude?
and Apart from the big guns (SABA, ROSS, AUC, St. George) how would you rate this school?

If you were to do it all over again, would you still choose SMU??

any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!! :)

Dr Rich
01-09-2011, 10:41 PM
In one word? No. The school has some good things, some basic science professors are too good and you can learn a lot, but overall there is something rotten in the blatant pro-Indian discrimination, and then you go for your clinicals and need to wait for Green Rotations. Finally you can start to move on, but I don't think many schools have the same struggle after being so many years in the market. At least I am not like those poor saps that have to deal with Davenport... I left before :rolleyes:

M.O.G.
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Davenport? What's that?

kishkash186
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Dr Rich, would you care to explain your racist remarks??

Why do you keep posting on a forum to just vent your spleen?? You transferred a while back and should be busy with your step 2 no?

If anyone chooses to find all of Dr Rich's posts there is a clear pattern of hatred and just downright nastyness focused towards the school which quite frankly getting a little boring.

Dr Rich
01-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Racist remarks? You got it wrong: The racism is practiced against other races, not the Indians. Don't tell me you never noticed it! :rolleyes:

kishkash186
01-13-2011, 01:56 AM
No I didn't notice hence I asked for the explanation.

You might think I'm the only one who doesn't have a problem with sum and had a decent score on the Step but I just want to negate all of Dr Rich's negative and spiteful comments which quite frankly won't be the best qualities to bring to your future career.

candlelights
01-13-2011, 07:45 AM
if you've been dismissed from SGU after a year...and transfer to SMU..is it worth it? or will there be just a new set of problems to deal with..and perhaps I should just apply to DO schools back home and start from scratch.

Are there any students at SMU who have been dismissed from the big 4..and do they think they have made the right decision in transferring?

any input will be appreciated...right now i'm just in a world of confusion about what to do. I know I want to be a doctor and have the potential.

I had a 28R on the MCATs, 3.4c GPA and 3.2 s

I was kicked out of SGU because I didn't meet their 2.5 GPA requirement...

Burt simpson
01-13-2011, 04:30 PM
if you've been dismissed from SGU after a year...and transfer to SMU..is it worth it? or will there be just a new set of problems to deal with..and perhaps I should just apply to DO schools back home and start from scratch.

Are there any students at SMU who have been dismissed from the big 4..and do they think they have made the right decision in transferring?

any input will be appreciated...right now i'm just in a world of confusion about what to do. I know I want to be a doctor and have the potential.

I had a 28R on the MCATs, 3.4c GPA and 3.2 s

I was kicked out of SGU because I didn't meet their 2.5 GPA requirement...

What makes you thing that you will do better at a DO school when you had academic problems at a offshore school?

candlelights
01-14-2011, 05:02 AM
i had academic problems due to unnecessary things that could have been avoided.....like miskeying on a 14credit course exam and the school policy is that they shred the exams soon after. Tried appealing for one more chance..but I give up. Not to bash on any caribbean school, it was my choice to go there in the first place...but they simply don't even reply to your emails or calls when the student needs the deans and advisors to be the most supportive. Actually drove 5+ hrs to their bayshore office...the dean refuses to speak with students.......so I definitely made a wrong choice in trusting my future in their hands...but at the end of the day, it was my choice.

now, need to move on to better things hopefully. I have the credentials to get into a DO school because they look at the undergrad GPA and MCAT score as a cutoff......even if they do look at sgu, i never failed any course so I don't know I'm guessing since back in the stats its P/F, I'll be okay.

Honestly, just looking into the options right now...I'm confused as hell. Definitely didn't expect to be dismissed over a miskey on the exam and not be given another chance.

EQUALITY
01-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes it must feel like a punch in the gut getting dismissed, but at least you have the MCAT, and premedical courses under your belt. You have gone through the adversity at SGU. By the way it is quite difficult to live on that island and attend medical school.
At the end of the day if you do well in your new medical school especially step 1 and 2 CK. You will be fine. SMU is a very good school. It is on a great and Modern Island. it's ownership has a lot of resources that others don't. It is a sister school with Saba, and MUA. It is fully approved for licensure and clinical rotations in New York State and Florida. In fact AUC being around for so many years only received New York Approval I believe about 8 months prior to SMU when at that time smu was only around for 7 years and auc over 25 years. Now SMU is 14 years established, and has a Vet. School that is phenomenal.
The school housing is excellent. The campus is modern complex. Don't give up on your dream.
By the way SMU i believe is the only one or one of the few that has a contract with the world renowned MOUNT SINAI MEDICAL SCHOOL IN NYC . where you can do all your fourth year electives if approved. See the graduates of SMU and where they are doing residency getting better by the year.

candlelights
01-15-2011, 07:22 AM
@EQAULITY

Thanks for understanding. While I do hear the living conditions at the Cayman islands are in par with back home, I actually loved Grenada too. Yes, at times it was boring and nothing to do but when do you actually get time to enjoy the place in med school anyway.

I'm more concerned about the value of my education...and reading the Cali report from few years ago, I'm worried. Are you a student at SMU? How are the clinical years for you guys..do have good hospitals with ACGME approved rotations? Are there plenty for all the students..or will there be long waiting periods in btw? Thanks for your input.

EQUALITY
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
True, the california report does exist. But please keep in mind that the report was issued early 2005, and the team visit from california concluded in 2004. It is now 2011, and the school changed ownership, took over the whole safehave building complex in grand cayman, opened two beautiful housing residences, closed down the maine campus so that it could focus and put all it's resources into the main campus in GRAND CAYMAN in the British West Indies. Less than a 50 minute airplane ride from Miami. Since then like stated before the school opened a Vet. school that has become the #1 choice for people in the US that want to become vet's but can't gain admission to a us school. This helps the medical school as well. yes acgme spots are available, can't promise there will not be waits. Consider that ross, sgu have sooooooo many students that between all the schools it is competitive know. But please don't listen to myself or anyone on this board about clinical spota call the school directly speak with the clinical department. Also keep in mind that island has two very modern hospitals one that is government owned and the other that is private.
I would not be shocked if you see the school apply very shortly for california approval again. The school has made great strides in the last 7 years since that report was made. The rules have changed as well mcats are a requirement now. can't graduate without passing step 2. Also people should keep in mind that the cayman islands is a strict island under british rule and will not allow students on the island that would pose a problem. With that said look forward to you becoming an smu alumn.
Just my opinion but i would clearly pick st. matthews over AUC in st. marrten for the following reasons. The island has a high crime rate, the owners of the school recently started an osteopathic school in colorado which means that is where there main resources will probably be going. In the long run although AUC has california and texas approval smu will be more stable.

GuitarHeroMD
01-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Hey everyone, I am planning on applying for Med and I would just like an honest opinion from students currently attending this university about the pros/cons of this school.
Like if students are having difficulties, are the proffs approachable with a kind and sincere attitude?
and Apart from the big guns (SABA, ROSS, AUC, St. George) how would you rate this school?

If you were to do it all over again, would you still choose SMU??

At this moment I am a PGY-1 in Internal Medicine, so SMU got me where I needed to be. Not to mention I got to live on an awesome island for basic sciences ;)

EQUALITY
01-18-2011, 08:22 PM
It does get you where you want. As long as you do well on steps, and perform well during clinicals smu will get you there. program directors rarely pay any mind to the foriegn school, they klump them together. if i tell you how many times people think st. matthews is st. georges, and with all the different foreign schools st. georges, st. eustatius, ross, hope, guadulaja, AUA, AUC, st. james, spartan, saba, mua, then mua in belize. it is sooooooooooooooo confusing to the program directors, they look at scores and letters, but mostly scores. In fact i know some program directors who will not take a osteopathic graduate, but will any foreign school.
However be aware that it is sooooooooooooo hard to get a residency in anything. there are people with high 80's that can't get internal medicine or family practice at all. These are first time takers.

GuitarHeroMD
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
It does get you where you want. As long as you do well on steps, and perform well during clinicals smu will get you there. program directors rarely pay any mind to the foriegn school, they klump them together. if i tell you how many times people think st. matthews is st. georges, and with all the different foreign schools st. georges, st. eustatius, ross, hope, guadulaja, AUA, AUC, st. james, spartan, saba, mua, then mua in belize. it is sooooooooooooooo confusing to the program directors, they look at scores and letters, but mostly scores. In fact i know some program directors who will not take a osteopathic graduate, but will any foreign school.
However be aware that it is sooooooooooooo hard to get a residency in anything. there are people with high 80's that can't get internal medicine or family practice at all. These are first time takers.

Year by year it becomes less and less likely to get into any sort of residency as an IMG without good scores (on first attempt). I know people facing the reality of >200K debt with nothing to show for it....very scary and very real.

Be prepared to study, study, study...

JohnI
02-02-2011, 06:01 AM
... but overall there is something rotten in the blatant pro-Indian discrimination, .... :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree.. I've seen it myself... it's not only towards students (indian faculty treat better indian students) but also towards the rest of faculties..

soniaa
02-02-2011, 05:10 PM
come on people study dont point fingers

M.O.G.
02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
come on people study dont point fingers

I agree with Sonia!..I mean I'm not @ SMU yet so I can't really say anything but everyone can agree that when you put in hardwork & your best for that matter at anything under any circumstance, you'll get results regardless of your environment. "These Things" don't only happen in schools (If infact they do @ SMU) but everywhere and yet people do what they have to do to succeed which in this case would be to study their butts off!!!

JohnI
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Year by year it becomes less and less likely to get into any sort of residency as an IMG without good scores (on first attempt). I know people facing the reality of >200K debt with nothing to show for it....very scary and very real.

Be prepared to study, study, study...

First ask yourself are you ready to spend pile of money paying tuition to SMU and live on absolutely ridiculously expensive island if you have very good chance to face this situation??- Investigators want to know if the quality of offshore medical schools justifies the cost - St. Petersburg Times (http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/medicine/article1061189.ece)

The dissenter
02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
;1347938]First ask yourself are you ready to spend pile of money paying tuition to SMU and live on absolutely ridiculously expensive island if you have very good chance to face this situation??- QUOTE]

Wow (reply to the link about ROSS) if all this is about Ross then what is the reality of SMU as an institution, faculty, and students???

I am off the hook and for me SMU is history! I guess any student who want to come to SMU needs to look at the quality of faculty and where they were trained and licensed and how many of them passed the USMLE. This will garantee faculty will help students passing their boards other than giving the students the shelf exam answers in advance and fool them after they take it that they did very well on it! The corruption among the dominant faculty must be stopped!

GuitarHeroMD
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
First ask yourself are you ready to spend pile of money paying tuition to SMU and live on absolutely ridiculously expensive island if you have very good chance to face this situation??- Investigators want to know if the quality of offshore medical schools justifies the cost - St. Petersburg Times (http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/medicine/article1061189.ece)

I just read the article and I highly recommend every prospective/current student to read it. As it holds very true to all Caribbean medical schools.

JohnI
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
hey everyone, i am planning on applying for med and i would just like an honest opinion from students currently attending this university about the pros/cons of this school.
And apart from the big guns (saba, ross, auc, st. George) how would you rate this school?

if you were to do it all over again, would you still choose smu??

no!!! Never

russut
02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
you people are awful. its what you make of it. i started may 2006 graduated dec 2009. yes do the math, that is less than 4 years. go where you feel comfortable, study hard and you will get to the finish line. i did, so can you. dont waste your time listening to all this nonsense on message boards.

JohnI
02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
you people are awful. its what you make of it. i started may 2006 graduated dec 2009. yes do the math, that is less than 4 years. go where you feel comfortable, study hard and you will get to the finish line. i did, so can you. dont waste your time listening to all this nonsense on message boards.

That's exactly very good point. You do not have to pay fortune and get result you want. Choose your school wisely, do not fall for cheap advertising comparing SMU with American schools.

eineej
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Did anyone receive the scholarship offer by SMU? Any suggestions on funding?

msabri
11-18-2011, 02:45 AM
The obvious:
what is a good choice for medical school?
1, US med school.
2. DO school
3. Big 3 Caribbean & Saba
4. St. Matthew

If 1-3 doesn't accept you means you can not be a Doctor? NO
St. Matthew is not perfect. but gives you the chance.
100s maybe thousands of St. Matthew graduates are working in US.
My wife was not accepted to Saba or Ross or AUC but we knew she can become a physician so we chose SMU.
She got her 10th interview yesterday.
SMU accepts you and gives you what you need to get a residency back in USA.
Can school do more? Yes
Does SMU strech the truth? sometimes like any other for profit business!
Does SMU work? absolutely
Does SMU makes you a Doctor? NO you make yourself a doctor SMU gives you the chance

docblin
11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
GREAT POST! And true.

NelumG
11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
i had academic problems due to unnecessary things that could have been avoided.....like miskeying on a 14credit course exam and the school policy is that they shred the exams soon after. Tried appealing for one more chance..but I give up. Not to bash on any caribbean school, it was my choice to go there in the first place...but they simply don't even reply to your emails or calls when the student needs the deans and advisors to be the most supportive. Actually drove 5+ hrs to their bayshore office...the dean refuses to speak with students.......so I definitely made a wrong choice in trusting my future in their hands...but at the end of the day, it was my choice.

now, need to move on to better things hopefully. I have the credentials to get into a DO school because they look at the undergrad GPA and MCAT score as a cutoff......even if they do look at sgu, i never failed any course so I don't know I'm guessing since back in the stats its P/F, I'll be okay.

Honestly, just looking into the options right now...I'm confused as hell. Definitely didn't expect to be dismissed over a miskey on the exam and not be given another chance.

Why don't you apply to AUA or DO school . AUA has Cali approval while SMU is disapproved by California. If I were you I would apply to AUA.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.