PDA

View Full Version : Charles Uni, application for medicine(for JP)

LOVINGJPUK
12-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Hello. Im thinking to apply for charles uni, school of medicine. I have graduated from university of durham(major: medical related subject) and also have work experience for more than 3 yrs in Japan. I have done A-levels in UK as well. My questions are the followings:

1. Do you think i have to take an entrance exams? Even if I obtained credits from medical subjects in british uni and took maths , further maths, physics, chemistry in A-Levels?

2. I actually wanted to condcut medical practice in Japan but japanese medical university is way too hard to get in. (it is almost as hard as uk...) I don` know how long it will take for me to pass entrance exam in japan so I decided to try charles uni. Do you think I will be able to practice as a doctro in uk after graduation? btw..I was holding permanet visa in uk (dunno if its still effective though....i bet it is invalid ...since i was away from uk for 5yrs already).

3. Ministry of health, labor and walfare in JP sucks a lot...They don`t allow any applicants from MD degree holders from over seas to take national exam to become a doctor in JP...well they do... but chances are realy low....they r extreamly strict especially for E-EU graduates. So, basicly this will be kinda suicide mission if I can`t work in UK after graduation. I am wondering .... what do JP graduates will do after their graduation? do you know any JP associates in your uni? plz let me know what they r doing after graduation.

shrey
12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes, you'll have to take the entrance exams despite having completed A-level maths, physics and chemistry. Biology is another subject that's tested.

You may practice in the UK depending on the work scenario for med graduates who are non-EU citizens (you'll have to start off by taking the PLAB exam.)

I've heard of a few Japanese students studying here but I've never met them. Sorry.

LOVINGJPUK
01-01-2011, 11:03 AM
wow thank you very much for your prompt response. Your answer is very helpful to consider my application.
Firstly, I was very dissapointed that I have to take entrance exam...because I completely forgot about A-Levels although I got quite good results at the time.
Secondly, I didn`t know that I would need to take PLAB exam. PLAB exam sounds really tough and even if you pass the exam, position for non-EU doctors seems to be very competitive.
Lastly, if you have chance to meet them pleaese ask them to write their circumstances on this thread >.<

New questions are the followings:

1. Is PLAB exam hard? as hard as USMEL? (BTW ...japanese national exam is almost impossible to pass..they impose us pre-national exam for candidates who have graduated outside JP and noone has passed the exam past 10 years)
2. Is there any institution that gives me accredited degree which allows you to work as a doctor without any further exams?(for JP)
3. Im so worried that I get stuck and become jobless after graduation...PLease give me advise...I really need to earn money right after graduation cuz my family is not rich at all.

shrey
01-01-2011, 03:56 PM
1) Yes the PLAB is hard but not as hard as the USMLE.
2) Unfortunately, such institutions don't exist. At the end of the day, you do have to undergo further training in order to be able to practice in the country.
3) I think the best step is to try again in Japan and if not, you could look into the European schools. If you're willing to learn another language (French, Spanish, Italian), then there are many opportunities of getting employed in Western Europe (as long as you pass the required exams in those respective languages.)

LOVINGJPUK
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
thank you very much for ur kind reply. I will consider about application more carefully.

P.S. admissions office in charles university do not reply to me at all .... i am wondering why...:confused:

shrey
01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
I think the best way to get across to them is to get in touch with the administrator dealing with 1st year students and the best way is by calling her. You could email them but I don't they replied previously to your mail as they might have been on a vacation.

LOVINGJPUK
01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I have received reply from Admission Office yesterday. The person who was in charge of admission was on holiday as you expected.

I am not sure if I take exam this year or not but...what kind of preparation do you recommend to do? like I said before...I totally forgot about A-Levels...I am sure I will get the knowledge back if I make a quick revision for all the required subjects. But I have thrown away all the textbook and past papers ages ago. If you have any textbook for revision and training papers (past papers etc...) which u can recommned...something i can buy from amazon etc...And for oral questions...what was it like?

I appreciate if you answer to above question.

shrey
01-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I think the only books I could recommend are the A-level books since you've already gone through them once...so perhaps you could try to get hold of them from a friend or something?

LOVINGJPUK
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
:p Thank you~. I will purhase A-Level books from amazon.

I don`t know how competitive is it to get into charles uni 1st faculity but I will probably try entrance exam. In case I choose med school in E-Euro, I would definetly choose working in UK while I prepare for JP national exam.

1. Assuming that I pass PLAB exam in UK, is it hard for foreigner (JP) to get a job in UK?

2. will you get paid in training years after graduation.

3. How long do you normally spend time for preparing PLAB exam after graduation? How long does it take to pass the exam?

4. If you rank institutions, what will it be like? Give me TOP 5 institutions other than british uni or any institutions which cost high rate of tuition fees. (If you want to work in uk after graduation)

Im so sorry to keep on asking...:(

LOVINGJPUK
01-13-2011, 02:21 AM
OK...I have investigated further regarding the difficulties to get a job in UK. As far as I read the following thread, it seems to be almost impossible to work as a doctor in UK for japanese candidate if I graduate EE uni, including Charles.

Where to find the thread:"Working in the UK after med school in Europe" in MAIN EUROPIAN MEDICAL SCHOOL

It looks like polish university seems to be the safest in order to work in UK/USA. However, there is no garantee on that....Studying in EE-Medical way too risky...for foreigners like JP or non EU students. I try to look for more info about polish uni.

I am still preparing for JP med school along with the investigation as for EE med school. But...As I said before, I need a second option because JP national med school is as hard as uk or usa med school.

Someone help me ~~~~ which EE med school is the best option to choose if I want to work in UK, JP or USA?

My priority 1. JP 2. UK 3.USA

shrey
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I really wouldn't know about Japan but if the UK/US, then look into the schools in Czech Republic, Poland or Hungary. Many schools in these countries have a very good reputation.

LOVINGJPUK
01-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Charles Uni seems to be very good uni. It has got quite good reputation among the world too. Until I read the thread I thought Charles Uni will be my 1st choice in EE med school. Somehow I could not link the thread so i will just copy and paste for you. please check the followings:

The following groups of doctors are able to apply:
All UK medical graduates are required to undertake a 2 year foundation programme and therefore should apply through this process.
EEA graduates from the following countries, which have an undergraduate medical education system similar to the UK, can apply for provisional registration: Austria, Czech Republic*, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland
*Some graduates only see below. Please note, this is a recent change in guidance.
International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
These doctors must hold PLAB2. A small proportion of PLAB2 doctors will have been informed by the GMC that, when registered, they will have to work under limited registration in PRHO or Foundation Year 1 posts. These are the only holders of PLAB2 who would be eligible to apply under this scheme. Confirmation of the GMC guidance can be obtained by emailing the GMC The following groups of doctors are NOT eligible to apply:

1. EEA graduates with degrees from the following countries, which have a system where the PRHO/F1 year equivalent forms part of the undergraduate medical course are therefore not eligible for provisional registration*: Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Netherlands, Slovak Republic, Spain. *these EEA countries would normally include the equivalent of an intern or PRHO year in their undergraduate course, and their graduates would therefore not be eligible. However, there may be exceptions, and applicants required to hold limited registration and to work in a PRHO/F1 post are advised to contact the GMC to confirm their status. Doctors holding full or provisional registration are not required to confirm their status with the GMC.
International Medical Graduates (IMGs): The majority of PLAB2 holders have already undertaken a PRHO/intern equivalent year in their own country and would not be eligible for Foundation Year 1, or 2 year Foundation Programmes.
OK...as long as I read the above info, I don`t think charles uni would be good choice if u r thinking to work in uk. if you want to work in usa charles is okay...My gussing is that it will be almost impossible to work in UK if you don`t proceed FY1 and FY2 in UK and make connection with hospitals and doctors etc...ofcourse you are able to apply for FY2 if u graduate charles or other EE med school but FY2 position is really limited and you are not able to get the possition.

However, if you graduate polish Uni, you have a chance to apply for FY1 and better chance to work in UK later on. polish uni is also good for targeting USA. UJ in poland has good reputation among the world like charles...( I checked world university ranking)

I don`t think Hungary Uni will be a good choice in any way....

SO... do you still recommend Uni in Czech Republic and Hangary.

shrey
01-15-2011, 06:57 AM
Unfortunately going to Poland doesn't make it any easier. If you're ultimate goal is to go UK, then you need contacts to get into the system.

LOVINGJPUK
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Yea...as long as we graduate medical school in EE, it won`t make much difference. But I still think being able to do F1 and F2 in UK makes a lot difference in terms of competition among EE graduates.

The GMC are in the process of changing medical postgraduate training in the UK. New UK graduates will now have to complete a two year foundation program that replaces the PRHO year and the first year as an SHO.

The Foundation programs are ONLY open to those with provisional registration with the GMC. This means if your medical course included an internship then you are NOT eligible to apply.

Increasingly NHS employers will want to see completion of FY1/2 before hiring. Therefore, someone who has done an 'internship' as part of the degree is going to be at a disadvantage unless they can demonstrate that the training really was equivalent to Foundation.

The polish University I am interested in also provides opportunitry in residency placement in brigton hospital in uk as well as several hospitals from calfornia (USA).

http://www.medschool.cm-uj.krakow.pl/data/download/Graduates2009.pdf

However it is still hard for MD holders from outside UK to get a job in UK unless you have a connection as you say. So I may take as alternative option to appy japanese hospital in UK if I do`t get a position in british hospitals.
London Iryo Centre home page - about us (http://www.iryo.com/e/eindex.html)

Jay Mann
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi there I am currently studying medicine in Eastern Europe and would recommend you use Minaret Student Agency, they can help with many things from admissions, to flats, help with arrival at airport etc.

Dinarkhail
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM
I am currently applying to Charles Medical Faculty and was wondering if anyone knew of any grants/financial support available to UK residents?

shrey
05-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm afraid your only option is to look for private loans.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.