PDA

View Full Version : Running on Saba

maladdy85
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the situation for a runner at Saba? Is it safe/feasible to run on the single road or should I expect to be stuck using a treadmill for the next 2 years?

axiomofchoice
12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
If you can handle the hills, the road is fine for running. Many students run.

darkmansaad
12-20-2010, 01:49 AM
When I was on the island I used to run from the top of Hells Gate to the bench in St Johns and back...amazing workout. You get ripped up. Plus if you run shirtless you can improve your odds of drunken island goggle mistakes on Swinging Doors open mic night

devildoc8404
12-20-2010, 03:08 AM
What happens if you run shirtless and you wear the Zoolander headband? ;)

When I was on the island I used to run from the top of Hells Gate to the bench in St Johns and back...amazing workout. You get ripped up. Plus if you run shirtless you can improve your odds of drunken island goggle mistakes on Swinging Doors open mic night

GADoctor
12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Definitely a good place to run except for the hills. They can be tough. I usually run from windward to hells gate and back. The bottom is not the best place to run in my opinion, although i guess you could just circle it a couple of times. I did that in 1st semester.

smartnrdsrule
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
did you guys honestly actually have time to work-out? I have totally lost my routine between the trips between cities and so im hoping to start my full regime again when i get to saba...

darkmansaad
12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
if you dont have time to workout you will become fat. if that is an acceptable scenario then i have nothing more to say to you.

smartnrdsrule
12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
oh no no, i'm one of those guys with the fast metabolism so i actually work-out to put on muscle mass but don't have much fat to burn-off sooooo i guess being skinny also isn't the most acceptable of scenarios so i suppose i will be finding the time..

maladdy85
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
and I am a girl, so running shirtless around Saba is not going to be an option for me. But thank you for the rest of the running info.

sgMD
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
and I am a girl, so running shirtless around Saba is not going to be an option for me. But thank you for the rest of the running info.

you cant be shirtless on saba regardless of your gender!

Dr Coconut
12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
First semester I used to run on the road out towards the beach / Well's Bay. It's about as flat as you can find on the island, is in the shade, and is not very busy. The rest of the semesters I'd either run from the Bottom to Windwardside at the end of the day (punishing run) or run in the morning from Windward to St John's, back to Upper Hell's Gate, and then back to Windward. Lots of hills regardless of the direction but you get used to them.

Saba has a triathlon in December every year that is quite unique. St Maarten and Nevis also have triathlons that are a little more traditional. There used to be a few from Saba that went to these and was fun to go / race with them.

darkmansaad
12-22-2010, 12:05 AM
you cant be shirtless on saba regardless of your gender!

you know what...technically running shirtless is not allowed. But I did it every semesters and never got stopped. I think having abs had a lot to do it. Seriously.

krust3
12-30-2010, 09:23 PM
i was a pretty avid runner while there. loved it. you'll adapt to the hills and running back in the states will never be the same. the treadmills in the gym are nice, but you're missing out if you're using them.

don't limit yourself to the road either. some of the best training is on the trails.

when i lived in Matthews:
i used to run the "Ladder", which was good for a quick workout. also ran down to Wells bay and back, which took about a semester to condition myself for. most often i'd run up to windward or up to the church in Upper Hell's and back.

when i lived in Upper Hell's:
i used to run from the church to the bench in St John's and back, often times with Darkmansaad. i have not idea what any of these distances were, but this run was about 32 minutes if we were hustlin. a great trail run starts near English Quarter and leads toward Booby Hill down to Spring bay then Cove bay and up to the airport, from there take the switchback up the road back to Upper Hell's- grrreat downhill and punishing climb back up. Also you can head up from the church to where the Sandy Cruz trail head starts, take that to Northcoast trail and take that down to where it dead ends @ the Villa Gatehouse. Finally, i often took the trails home from class back to upper hell's.

you should definitely participate in the Saba triathlon and Saba Day cross island race. our student team won the triathlon while we were there and even set a course record, actually won the cross island race too!

as far as shirtless running, i was "pulled over" on more than one occasion by the cops and reminded of the apparent local laws regarding this.

God i miss that lil island.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.