PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone to Ross Vet and transferred to SGU or vice versa?

strawberriemllk
12-19-2010, 03:58 AM
So I been accepted into both vet programs at Ross and SGU. I have read things about Ross that has made me very worried:

1. Crime, Robberies and safety.
2. Professors who can't speak english well and you have to teach yourself.
3. Once the school gets your money they don't care about you.

But a major positive for Ross is the federal funding with lower interest rates.
But I am wondering if the higher interest rates through private loans for SGU is worth it?

I have messaged alumni from Ross on FaceBook and received no responses.

So my question is that are there any students who attended Ross and left because they found SGU to be better? OR if any SGU students left to go to Ross?

sisyphus
12-19-2010, 10:09 AM
So I been accepted into both vet programs at Ross and SGU. I have read things about Ross that has made me very worried:

1. Crime, Robberies and safety.
2. Professors who can't speak english well and you have to teach yourself.
3. Once the school gets your money they don't care about you.

But a major positive for Ross is the federal funding with lower interest rates.
But I am wondering if the higher interest rates through private loans for SGU is worth it?

I have messaged alumni from Ross on FaceBook and received no responses.

So my question is that are there any students who attended Ross and left because they found SGU to be better? OR if any SGU students left to go to Ross?

I don't know if I can really answer your question completely but I knew several people who came to SGU after failing out at Ross. Of course, this wasn't technically a transfer, though, and they had to start over. At least one person that I know of then failed out of SGU and ended up going to SMU.

I would think it pretty rare for a person to transfer from one Carib school to another.

Several students I know of transferred from SGU to schools in the US, though. I know this happens at Ross too.

strawberriemllk
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Do you think they failed because they were not motivated enough or do you think it is because of the program was not a good fit for them? Did they not receive enough support from the school? Is the quality of the program poor?

I would think that if it was your dream to be a vet that you would be motivated in the program and not fail. So is it the quality of the program or is it the fact that Ross' Program is just faster pace making it more difficult?

sisyphus
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Do you think they failed because they were not motivated enough or do you think it is because of the program was not a good fit for them?

I don't know. Likely a combination of both. The majority of persons I know who started over at SGU (from Ross) did fine (as far as I know...I am pretty sure they graduated, at least).

Did they not receive enough support from the school? Is the quality of the program poor?

I have no idea what kind of support structure Ross has. I have spoken with people who loved Ross and people, especially those who failed out, who had nothing good to say.

I didn't need to seek out much support from SGU but from what I saw I thought it was pretty good. There were quite a few SGU sponsored/paid study groups and other support resources. I actually tutored quite a bit, both privately and through sponsored SGU activities.

I would think that if it was your dream to be a vet that you would be motivated in the program and not fail. So is it the quality of the program or is it the fact that Ross' Program is just faster pace making it more difficult?

I agree but I don't know it's that simple. I have do doubt that many/most of the people with academic problems were motivated. They were mainly just unable to cope with the academic rigor and needed help with study skills or test taking skills etc. Vet med is an ocean of information that comes at us through the straw of our tiny human brains.

I don't know that between Ross, SGU, and SMU (don't know anything about AUA and have never met anyone from there) that the programs are necessarily better or worse quality. There are differences, though, and certainly some students will do better in one compared to the other.

I did like SGU...except for the student loan debt.

Vet2Be
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Can someone please elaborate on this? I have read numerous times that once accepted to Ross and on the island that you are "on your own". What does this mean?? Is there no support at all there? When 1st termers get to the island, are they left to find the University on their own or does Ross send reps to the airport? What are classes like? Not load wise because it is Vet school, but are classes lecture based, PBL?? Not sure what "on your own" pertains to. And how many students actually fail classes and need to repeat the entire semester?? I would love to hear from students that actually LOVE Ross!

Thanks!

sisyphus
12-20-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think any current students from Ross post here. There must be other places or forums that are more active.

Maybe THIS forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=163) I just googled...but there must be something better.

strawberriemllk
12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
sisyphus,

Why did you pick SGU? What are some of the positives and (if any) negatives you had at SGU?

sisyphus
12-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Why did you pick SGU?

To be honest, I can't remember how I first came across SGU. I did know that Ross existed but I applied to SGU first and got in. Never pursued it any further than that. I had applied for 2 years to US schools with no luck and was so ready to start anywhere that I never really did much research into Carib schools and never looked back once accepted.

I am also a little older than the typical vet student and didn't feel like it was worth banging my head against US schools any longer.

What are some of the positives and (if any) negatives you had at SGU?

I am trying to think of some good points for you. While there I certainly had times where I was upset with this or that and wondered if SGU was really doing their job to prepare us. Then when I got to my clinical year I discovered that many of the students from that US school sometimes had the same concerns about their own school.

There were times when I didn't feel as if things were organized well and sometimes the facilities were "discouraging." I remember a leaky roof for a good part of the semester in a lecture hall. One thing I can think of is that once the whole island ran out of propofol...once for tramadol too, I think. I only remember it being for a week or two, though. It can also be more difficult to avail yourself of a variety of experiences, too. By this I mean that in the US you can expose yourself to a huge variety of research opportunities, national meetings (i.e. AVMA etc), a larger variety of school sponsored clubs (which do exist at SGU but when I was there not as many as I found were available in the US). In my opinion this can expose you to a whole variety of opportunities within vet med and might make you better, or consider a different path you hadn't thought of before. Luckily, at SGU you have the summer off and you can use this time to make up for some of these things. Also, depending on which school you go to for clinicals you can use rotations to visit other schools or participate in more unique opportunities...I used 2 rotations to participate in research.

SGU mainly focuses on the core stuff, like that which will help to assure you pass the NAVLE. From what I've seen, but not necessarily witnessed, SGU seems to have added some of these aspects. SGU also seems to be pushing concurrent masters degrees in MPH and I think an MBA too.

Many students had serious problems with various stuff at SGU, or with Grenada. As I look back I really only remember the positives and am pretty happy with my education. I really loved Grenada and just came to accept what many perceived as negatives. There were 1 or 2 people in my class who were the victims of crime. One with a stolen laptop out of her house and one who was mugged. Not that it is justifiable, but the person who was mugged had it happen at 2 or 3 in the morning outside a bar. I never had a problem or felt threatened but I kept some level of cautiousness ... especially while out partying. I am almost sure there were many others who were victims in other classes or from the med school. Not violent crimes that I remember, but be careful, especially if you're female.

I've typed all this and am still not sure if I've answered your questions or not. Also this being in the Ross forum...it might be out of place.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.