PDA

View Full Version : More practical exams not just PD

The Man
12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anyone else think that more time should be given to PD/practicals during basic sciences. To me it just seems that many have theoretical knowledge and not enough on the practical side ie checking someones pulse, blood pressure, locating supeficial structures etc.

I think it should be given more credit hours and maybe first aid should be taught along with it. It should be a prereq for everything

Medicine has to be engaging it should not just start in 5th semester

azulpanther
12-13-2010, 05:46 PM
And most def cater PD for the CS. US med students and the top 3 caribbean schools provide their students with extensive resources to pass this exam.

LifeMD10
12-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I was talking about this with another student this semester. They have PD every semester yet they only have practicals starting from 3rd semester. I think they should have practicals starting from PD 1 and they should focus more on the actual patient interaction as opposed to powerpoints. It'll only make us that much more comfortable when we start rotating IMO.

Banker794
12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
You will have plenty of patient interaction in clinical years and residency. Focus now on learning the basics, you don't know how important it is to have a strong medical foundation. As painful as this may sound- Keep reading!

The Man
12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I guess your right

LifeMD10
12-26-2010, 08:46 PM
As painful as this may sound- Keep reading!

Haha quite painful! From the two PDs Ive experienced so far, it just feels like I tend to understand better what Im reading when I actually have the opportunity of doing the tests. Since most of what we are reading in PD is specifically how to interact with the patient, it just seems more beneficial to have more physical interaction.

Banker794, in your experience how helpful were the practicals in PD for when you starting rotating?

Banker794
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Found the practicals to be quite helpful early on in 3rd yr. However nothing takes the place of repition and of course experience.

Focus on acquired skills that can follow you throughout life: suturing, auscultation of murmurs, blood drawing etc.

Good luck!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.