PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances

UIC
12-01-2010, 04:59 PM
3.15 cgpa
2.8 sgpa

21mcat

what are my chances to get in for Fall semster?

diabeticmedic
12-02-2010, 08:07 AM
To get into SMU- 100%
Given the current state of affairs at SMU and with your numbers (which are pretty decent for the Caribb) I would first try St. George's, Ross, and AUC. The MCAT is a little low but your overall GPA is probably on the higher end of the spectrum. Around a 21 is not rare in the Caribb.

SMU currently has no loans and is not approved in many states. SGU, Ross, and AUC are approved in all 50 and you can get title IV government loans. This is not a joke; go ahead and apply to SMU and I guarantee they will tell you you're in during a phone interview. Going to one of the other schools will be a better option in the long run. Nothing personal against SMU but these are the facts. No one will tell you any different and they're wrong if they do. Good luck!

deepk
12-02-2010, 08:48 AM
agreed 100%

Dr House
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
You won't get into SGU with that but maybe you have a shot at the others.

diabeticmedic
12-03-2010, 08:00 AM
You won't get into SGU with that but maybe you have a shot at the others.

Very true, House, I almost edited my post yesterday but the application is worth a shot (or perhaps an MCAT retake?).

To UIC-like House said, SGU probably won't admit you. Their admissions criteria is nearly as strict as a US MD school and I would say on par with DO schools. You're not guaranteed to Ross or AUC either (as they are pretty selective also) but it is worth a shot as I think you have a chance and they will make your life easier in the future (getting loans, ease of setting up clinical rotations, better known with more residents taken by more programs in the US). Try for them first. If you don't get into SGU/Ross/AUC, it's either an MCAT retake, MERP, or SMU (if I were you I would go with MERP; pre-med program with Ross in Miami where you get into Ross if you pass).

All that said, if you go with SMU, not a terrible choice. The basic sciences prepare you well for Step 1 and the prof's are great. Again, good luck!

Dr House
12-03-2010, 08:45 AM
An MCAT retake and applying to Ross/AUC would be the best move. I would recommend those over any of the lower medical schools.

phatman1591
12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey guys!
I am a prospective student looking to attend medical school for May 2011 semester.
I got accepted to St James SOM for May, but am also looking to apply to St. matthews.
What do you guys think my chances are at ST. matthews?
GPA: 2.5
Have taken anatomy, physiology, micro, cell bio, genetics
Got B's in all courses.
Also a 17 on MCAT.
I know kind of low scores.
Do you guys think st matthews is better than ST.James?
any kind of input would be nice.
Thanks guys!

LifeMD10
12-30-2010, 11:47 PM
To the OP, you can get into a DO school with those stats. Did you try applying to any?

LifeMD10
12-30-2010, 11:49 PM
phatman .. I'd apply to SMU, you will probably get in given the fact that many are shying away cuz of the no loan situation.

jackets5
12-30-2010, 11:51 PM
To the OP, you can get into a DO school with those stats. Did you try applying to any?

you cannot get into a DO school with a 3.1 and 21. Your making it seem like the OP has a good shot at a DO. His chances would be slim at best for getting into a DO with those scores. There are DO schools that have similar admission stats to some US MD schools ie. Western, PCOM, NYCOM to name a few.

Dr2016
12-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey guys!
I am a prospective student looking to attend medical school for May 2011 semester.
I got accepted to St James SOM for May, but am also looking to apply to St. matthews.
What do you guys think my chances are at ST. matthews?
GPA: 2.5
Have taken anatomy, physiology, micro, cell bio, genetics
Got B's in all courses.
Also a 17 on MCAT.
I know kind of low scores.
Do you guys think st matthews is better than ST.James?
any kind of input would be nice.
Thanks guys!

Phatman1591, what were your reasons for applying to SJSM initially?

LifeMD10
12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
you cannot get into a DO school with a 3.1 and 21. Your making it seem like the OP has a good shot at a DO. His chances would be slim at best for getting into a DO with those scores. There are DO schools that have similar admission stats to some US MD schools ie. Western, PCOM, NYCOM to name a few.

I dont disagree that there are DO schools that have US MD-like admission requirements. That being said, I know three people personally that got into DO with similar stats. One with a lower MCAT score than the poster. The only caveat being that all three were accepted to in-state DO schools. If the poster has a DO school in-state, I would definitely advise for him/her to apply there.

I would exhaust all options to stay on the mainland, no matter how slim it may look before deciding to go the caribbean route.

Wikichow
01-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Cum GPA: 2.87
Sci GPA: 2.93
MCAT 24

For September 2011 or January 2012?

phatman1591
01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Phatman1591, what were your reasons for applying to SJSM initially?

I applied to SJSM because first it was much cheaper and second i have a lot of friends who are either going there right now or will be in the next few semesters. But at the end of the day, its the results that matter and i just want a good education. Is st matthews considered "better" than SJSM?
idk guys so just wondering
thanks!

DouglusMcDougal
01-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Hello this is a biology student from Montclair State University New Jersey United States. I have a question well researched as to what the answer may be, but will ask for something more specific to me. I wish to enter into a good medical school any where in the world, and would like to know my chances of getting in possibly to the so called big 4 in the caribbean. I'am a senior with 5 courses left to take which can raise my gpa, I have 2 years of volunteer experience and participation in various school clubs. I have not taken the MCAT yet but I'am taking the kaplan prep course from may to august, and will be taking it in august. My science gpa is 2.694 and my cumulative gpa is a 3.065. What are my chances for admission at accredited schools any where in the world preferably the supposed Big 4?

azulpanther
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Hello this is a biology student from Montclair State University New Jersey United States. I have a question well researched as to what the answer may be, but will ask for something more specific to me. I wish to enter into a good medical school any where in the world, and would like to know my chances of getting in possibly to the so called big 4 in the caribbean. I'am a senior with 5 courses left to take which can raise my gpa, I have 2 years of volunteer experience and participation in various school clubs. I have not taken the MCAT yet but I'am taking the kaplan prep course from may to august, and will be taking it in august. My science gpa is 2.694 and my cumulative gpa is a 3.065. What are my chances for admission at accredited schools any where in the world preferably the supposed Big 4?

I believe that only ross would offer you a position into their MERP program. Basically you take some courses in miami florida, if you do well you are offered a seat in their medical school.

Sorry to say but none of the other big 4 will offer you a seat.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.