PDA

View Full Version : Information about aua vet program!

AUAVET
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
The following is a list of facts and opinions from an AUA vet student who wished to remain anonymous.

Any information that is believe to be incorrect, should be confirmed with the University or appropriate persons. It is advised to not accept any information through word of mouth or other means that cannot be later verified.

Anyone reading this is urged to find the truth for themselves. The following is a list of information that future students and affiliates of The American University Of Antigua College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences may wish to consider.

1) Members of AUA staff told students of SIGNED and completed contracts with various partner Universities. Only one contract with Virginia Tech was actually complete when students entered the University in September 2010.

The following is an email sent to AUA vet students Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Hello all. I hope your summer is off to a great start!!

Some important updatesabout AUA’s College of Veterinary Medicine: In addition to our partnership with Virginia Tech,we are in the final stages of our partnership agreement with University of Sydney, in Sydney Australia. This DVM program is not only AVMA accredited, it is very well respected all over the world. AUA students can study abroad in an AVMA accredited program, earn their DVM degree and come back to the U.S. to practice. Apart from the fact that University of Sydney is AVMAaccredited, it is also accredited by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in London which makes it possible for graduates to practice in the Commonwealth of England. Our partnership is equivalent in structure to our Virginia Tech agreement.

More good news! We are also in the advanced stages of establishing a clinical program with the Mississippi State University and with the University of Missouri. Universities are traditionally a bit slow in the finalizing these kinds of agreements but we have made excellent progress. With Mississippi, we have visited their campus and they have visited ours. The Dean the has given final approval and what we are processing now is the legal document in terms of agreement. We have established the date our first set of students will begin clinical instruction at University of Mississippi as July 2011. In the case of Missouri, our legal team has drafted the agreement and it is now being scrutinized by the legal team of Missouri.

We look forward to a great September term .If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us!

Kind regards,

A portion of another email sent Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Naturally everyone would like the chance to earn a seat in a US program and earn a U.S. DVM degree. However, for students not selected to transfer- a 5th semester of study is required in Antigua. From there, the final two years will involve clinical study at an AVMA accredited school. Those with whom we have clinical (NOT transfer) relationships in place. A student in this instance will earn an AUA DVM degree. Right now, clinical agreements are being finalized with the University of Missouri and Mississippi State. In five semesters from now, we know there will be others in place as well.

TO THIS DAY, THESE CONTRACTS ARE UNSIGNED AND UNCONFIRMED.

2) Upon arrival to Antigua, students entering AUA Vet school in September 2010 were told that upon completing education at AUA, they would have to wait 12 months before they could attend Virginia Tech.

3) The private loans provided by/through AUA are insufficient to support the fees of the Vet School.

4) The class schedule of students entering class of September 2010 was altered in September to remove classes due to a lack of professors.

5) AUA Vet School, lacks a full faculty. It is the understanding of most people at the University, that this is because AUA's New York Offices are unwilling or unable to provide proper funding to the Vet Program. Professors are borrowed from the medical school.

The following is an email sent by the Dean of the university on Thu 11/18/2010 4:30 AM in reference to course offerings for next semester.

TERM 1

ANATOMY 1-DR MCCLURE
PHYSIOLOGY 1- TBA BUT PROBABLY DR REESE
CELL BIOLOGY AND HISTOLOGY—DR SINGH
ANIMAL WELFARE—TBA
INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL MEDICINE—DR ROBBINS
FOOD AND NUTRITION—TBA
ELECTIVES—NONE TO BE OFFERED

TBA MEANS WE ARE SEEKING SUITABLE FACULTY

TERM 2
ANATOMY 2—DR MCCLURE
PHYSIOLOGY 2—TBA
BIOCHEMISTRY—MEDICAL FACULTY
INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL MEDICINE—DR LAKE OR ROBBINS
NEUROSCIENCE—DR MCCLURE
IMMUNOLOGY—DR SINCLAIR
ETHICS AND JURRISPRUDENCE—DENNIS
ELECTIVES—NONE

TERM3

MICROBIOLOGY—DR JAMES
PARASITOLOGY—DR SLOCOMBE
PATHOLOGY 1-ODUYE
VIROLOGY—DR JAMES
PHARMACOLOGY 1-TBA
DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING—DR RENDANO
ELECTIVES-NONE

TERM 4

PUBLIC HEALTH—TBA
PHARMACOLOGY 2-DR EYRE
PATHOLOGY 2-DR ODUYE
THERIOGENOLOGY—DR MAXWELL
FOOD PRODUCTION-TBA
CLINICAL PATHOLOGY—DR SEDDON
TOXICOLOGY—DR CASTEEL

6) The Veterinary facilities at AUA are severely lacking. Please research this or ask the university for pictures of the VET classrooms, laboratory, where specimens are stores, etc so you may see for yourself.

This has been list of some major issues which all vet students at AUA wish they had known before agreeing to attend the university.

Once again, you are free to make your own conclusions and investigate further.

VTECHvet2BE
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
AUAVET,
You are really making me a bit nervous with all this negative information about AUA; still I'm quiet grateful for your honesty. So how bad is it really? Does AUA truly have only the one secured (Vtech) contract? Which based on my research doesn't seem to be much of a contract since (Vtech) will have only a limited amount of seats available, no more than 4-6 per year for transferring student. My parents were suggested I visit the school before starting, they even offered to pay my air fare. Do you think that's a good idea? So I could see first hands exactly what I'm in for. Based on the info you stated, it would seem to me AUA straight up lied about everything except the cost to attend their school. Now you're saying not even the loan they offer through BOLM isn’t adequate to cover their tuition. This just doesn't sit well with me. I know all these "CARIBBEAN" schools are more concerned with their bottom line rather than their student’s welfare, but the very least they can do is be honest with current and future students. I mean if the majority of the students are like me, then it’s a life changing event to pack up and move to another country for a year and a half. It’s a hard sacrifice to make, so I would hope AUA show us the common decency to be forthcoming with the correct info about their school, be it NEGATIVE or POSITIVE. Please just give us the correct info so we can make an informed decision. Please AUA staff and officials I’m directly pleading with you, this our lives you're messing with, so please give us the true story and not just what you want us to here. Thanks for the info AUAVET and any other info you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.....GOOD LUCK TO YOU AUAVET!!! I truly hope things improve for you and all the other vet students at AUA.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.