PDA

View Full Version : is studyin at first faculty prestigious?

tobadoc
11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Heyy guyss..I'm plannin to apply to charles first faculty 2011 MD batch..! Is studyin there considered more prestiious or its jus like any other university?!

chardoc
11-21-2010, 10:33 AM
define what u mean by "prestigious"...

tobadoc
11-21-2010, 11:09 AM
i mean high status...! ..

shrey
11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
High status? I'm not sure what you exactly mean by that but it is considered to be quite a reputed university in Europe. And yes, it is one of the prestigious universities in Central Europe with a great tradition of research and innovation (a history of the people who've studied there should convince you!)

But it's not really that easy to make it through the long, frustrating 6 years of torture (well actually the clinical years do get a lot better, but they're also quite demanding.)
While many can get in, very few actually end up graduating at the end of the program. So if you have the determination to work hard and dedication to what you're studying, I'm sure can do well.

chardoc
11-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Shrey explained you very well the situation at Charles..
I have only to add that u shouldnt decide where to go because a university is prestigious or not...
The only right criteria is to know what the university has to offer u,how demanding it is,how determined you are to study medicine,and how the life of the city ,u are gonna live, is.
If the "money" matter isnt a matter for you of course..

bitebullet1
11-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Shrey explained you very well the situation at Charles..
I have only to add that u shouldnt decide where to go because a university is prestigious or not...
The only right criteria is to know what the university has to offer u,how demanding it is,how determined you are to study medicine,and how the life of the city ,u are gonna live, is.
If the "money" matter isnt a matter for you of course..

Out of interest guys,
What would be yer opinion on polish med schools like Jag for example,whose dropout rate is very low compared to Charles?Do ye know any students of the 6 year programmes and how intense do they say it was??
Also,what about hungary?Is it rated at the same difficulty level as Charles and would ye feel that the profs in Prague require too much detail to be learned from students??
Just curious
Thanks

alfildor
11-28-2010, 07:02 AM
im in 5th year , and i promise you that you will have earn your stay here in the first fac. anyways i appreciate the rigorous demand of knowledge required by profs.

bitebullet1
11-30-2010, 06:12 AM
im in 5th year , and i promise you that you will have earn your stay here in the first fac. anyways i appreciate the rigorous demand of knowledge required by profs.

And are u happy u made the decision to go to prague?A friend of a friend did a year in prague and then transferred to a uk med school.He used to laugh at how easy the uk was in comparison

tobadoc
11-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Thnx for the info guyss.! m sure i could handle the first faculty, i finished half of my dentistry right now..so i am sure, pre-clinicals will not b a problem for me..! =)

chardoc
11-30-2010, 07:51 AM
And are u happy u made the decision to go to prague?A friend of a friend did a year in prague and then transferred to a uk med school.He used to laugh at how easy the uk was in comparison

Haha i have a very close friend who failed the 1st year(both anatomy and histology) and went to a medical college in London..
I was really surprised when he was telling me that the UK system is far better,more fair,and easier than the 1st faculty's one.

bitebullet1
11-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Haha i have a very close friend who failed the 1st year(both anatomy and histology) and went to a medical college in London..
I was really surprised when he was telling me that the UK system is far better,more fair,and easier than the 1st faculty's one.

From what i hear,poland is also pretty fair by comparison.I think the hassle of work experience,volunteering,ukcat exam,personal statement etc might be worth the hassle for uk schools then,rather than taking the easier entrance into east europe.Think ill start preparing my application for uk schools v soon:p

sharpieaccent
11-30-2010, 09:03 AM
interesting

shrey
12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
The profs. at the first fac are quite tough and do tend to obsess about minute details. I believe the university follows a more theoretical take on medicine during the pre-clinical years (and to a great extent even in the clinical years) but it does do a good job integrating the practical side of medicine in the last 2 years.

But to get there, it's a loooooooooong rude that ain't gonna be that easy. So think hard before you apply here and most of all BE PREPARED!

bitebullet1
12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
The profs. at the first fac are quite tough and do tend to obsess about minute details. I believe the university follows a more theoretical take on medicine during the pre-clinical years (and to a great extent even in the clinical years) but it does do a good job integrating the practical side of medicine in the last 2 years.

But to get there, it's a loooooooooong rude that ain't gonna be that easy. So think hard before you apply here and most of all BE PREPARED!

Thanks shrey,i sincerely appreciate the input u have/are making to valuemd and to prospective students.
May i ask why the dropout is apparently lower in places like hradec kravole and pilsen??
Thanks again

shrey
12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it's because fewer students apply there and they don't have as many subjects as us. Also the fact that the First Fac started in 1300's is quite a prestige factor.

bitebullet1
12-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I think it's because fewer students apply there and they don't have as many subjects as us. Also the fact that the First Fac started in 1300's is quite a prestige factor.

And shrey,what is the dropout rate in hradec kravole/pilsen like on average compared to Charles faculties in prague??Like,how many students end up failing/leaving

Im not looking for the easy route but i just dont wnt to waste 13k of my parents money .
Cheers

shrey
12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I believe the dropout rate is quite low in those two faculties. The only faculties with high drop out rates are the ones in Prague (and there are 3 of them.) I don't know the exact statistics but I do have friends who've graduated from the HK faculty and they told me that it was not as intense as the First Fac.

descartes
12-05-2010, 07:04 AM
sorry.. May i know how can i prepare for the entrance exam? Having no ideas..

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.