PDA

View Full Version : # of Med Graduates from UNIBE

Medicine-Man
11-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know how many students have graduated from the UNIBE School of Medicine since it opened ?

How many Students in the English program ?
How many students from the Spanish program ?

MommyPR
01-13-2011, 03:19 AM
I have been reviewing these forums and blogs extensively and am really confused. I am a mother of an 18 and 19 yr old. students who will begin studies in DR in September. My 18 yr. old son will be entering 1st. year since he graduates highschool in May. My daughter on the other hand has about 42-43 credits from the University of PR in Mayaguez and a GPA of between 3.45-3.65. they are both fluent in english as well as spanish. They both want to, or at least until now are interested in Pediatrics, however my daughter also wishes to continue to neonatal.

Based on all this and considering the fact that they will definitely continue postgradaute studies in the USA, what recommendations can you give me regarding university choices? I went a couple of years ago to an open house in PR from the UCE adn I have received extensive information from UNIBE.... BUTTTTTTT upon reading all this I am very very confused..... please shed some light.

Thanks!!!!

Dr. Mixmasta
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Well ur kids are very young, and if they were my kids i would keep them in PR and try to get into a medical school overthere, cuz its a smoother route regarding matching and residency. Now, if they cant get in, DR would be the next choice. ;)
The school that is the closest to US standards is Unibe, but its the most expensive one. PUCCM and intec are also good schools, but if u visit each school u'll see the difference between Unibe and the rest.

My final advice would be (if u still decide to send them to DR), go overthere and visit the schools. Dont talk to the students, because some will say its a great school and other will say its the worse school ever. (That will just confuse u more).

To be honest, Unibe gives u the tools to become a doctor, its up to u if u use them or not, in a US medical school they push u to study otherwise ur out of the program.

Therefore, most students from unibe that are successful are the older ones, because they are more focused on what they want. Now, im not saying that young people cant do it, its just what i have seen when i was there.

MommyPR
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Dr. Mixmasta;1342417]Well ur kids are very young, and if they were my kids i would keep them in PR and try to get into a medical school overthere, cuz its a smoother route regarding matching and residency. Now, if they cant get in, DR would be the next choice. ;)
The school that is the closest to US standards is Unibe, but its the most expensive one. PUCCM and intec are also good schools, but if u visit each school u'll see the difference between Unibe and the rest.

My final advice would be (if u still decide to send them to DR), go overthere and visit the schools. Dont talk to the students, because some will say its a great school and other will say its the worse school ever. (That will just confuse u more).

To be honest, Unibe gives u the tools to become a doctor, its up to u if u use them or not, in a US medical school they push u to study otherwise ur out of the program.

Therefore, most students from unibe that are successful are the older ones, because they are more focused on what they want. Now, im not saying that young people cant do it, its just what i have seen when i was there.

Thank you so very much for your input I truly appreciate it. I am not too concerned with their age since they are both very mature and pretty focused on what they want. They both have had the advantages of partying, hanging out and all that, my husband and I decided to cut them some slack with this precisely because we knew they could not waste any time once they got into college going through the "party phase".

The main reason for attending the DR is precisely the time frame. In PR they would spend 4-5 years completing their BA and then get into med school for 4 more years and then continue their postgraduate, etc. By going to DR in 5yrs more or less they finish med school and can go directly to their post graduate which in their cases (until now) is Pediatrics which obviously they will study in the USA.

We do plan to visit next month, I have been on the phone constantly with UNIBE and have received their brochure (more like a book) for the english school of medicine program. We are somewhat familiar with DR and have a relative who is a judge in the capital so he should be able to shed some light on many things as well.

My main concern is regarding the USMLE 1&2 and how easy it will be to get into a university in the states as well as get the license to practice medicince in Puerto Rico. It's a huge step i know, but it's thei dream and as a mom I always taught my children that they could fly as high as they wanted to.... This is their time to soar and I must do all within my power to see them reach that goal.

Thanks a million and if you should have any recomendations for studying for the USMLE, i heard about Najeeb, kaplan, etc. please let me know as well as anything you believe might be useful.

God bless

Dr. Mixmasta
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Well I suggest them to do kaplan as they start med one and review the books over and over , its just repetition and when they're in the second year just do qbanks and alot of questions. In this way the can take step 1 after there second year and prepare for step 2 ck in the same manner and take it after they graduate and step cs pretty much u can prepare for it in a month , its just interaction with the patient (u get alot of that in DR), that month of preparation is just to be familiar with standardized pts.

MommyPR
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Once again, thanks a million for your advice. I truly value and appreciate it. Do you believe Kaplan is better than Najeebs? I've ehard so many good reviews on Najeebs. I read a post from CFF (titles a recommended plan for uce students facing the boards) and he speaks very well about Najeeb.

In fact I was so impressed with that thread and his advice in studying and getting your minds on things that I actually sat down both my kids individually and read and discussed the thread with them. Goes to show that there are a lot of great human beings, young people, willing to give their 2 cents and help others.

I am almost sure the kids will go to UNIBE and specifically in the English Program so I guess what remains is to actually visit the University and check out for apartments. Oh, I have another question regarding cel phones. Which is the best company considering the fact that it should have unlimited calls to Puerto Rico or at least unlimited calls to specific numbers in Puerto Rico. Also what about wi-fi? ooopps that 2 questions, LOL....

Anyway, once again thanks a million.

Dr. Mixmasta
01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
As I said Kaplan is the most complete, Najeeb is great, but his videos are lacking alot of sections (micro, patho, anat etc). And other review course are not bad, but kaplan is the most complete one, u can take anyone u want , they are not bad. But ive noticed that for unibe students the formula is kaplan and questions.

Moreover, why spend more money on other review courses when unibe includes kaplan in the tuition and u dont have to pay a dollar more.

Best cellphone, homephone and internet service is CLARO. Now, about calling to PR u can use magic jack or vonage. Dont worry too much about that bc there are alot of PR students there and ur kids can ask around probably will be directed into a good deal.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.