PDA

View Full Version : SABA or SGU Charter Foundation Program

mostinterestingMD
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi I am new to the website, but have read through many threads and forums about the big 4 schools. I just recently heard back thus far from all the schools. I was accepted into SABA for this january 2011 term and actually have only four days to send my deposit in. Just yesterday, I received an email saying SGU would like to interview me for the Charter Foundation Program. And if I come out of the program I would start in August 2011. SABA would without a doubt be the better fit for me as a student. That being said I have a few questions.

1. Is there an obvious choice as to which one i should pick?
2. What are the BIGGEST advantages choosing SGU and giving up guaranteed admission to SABA?
3. Does an interview mean I am likely to get in, assuming it goes well?
4. Is the SGU name alone reason enough to attend over SABA?

I need all the advice and help I can get, as I only have a few days to give SABA my deposit. Thanks a lot!

Dr House
11-13-2010, 05:05 PM
SABA would without a doubt be the better fit for me as a student.

I think you answered your question.

1. Is there an obvious choice as to which one i should pick?
2. What are the BIGGEST advantages choosing SGU and giving up guaranteed admission to SABA?
3. Does an interview mean I am likely to get in, assuming it goes well?

1. No but if you think Saba is a better fit and you've got the MD program go with that.
2. There are a few things that SGU has over SABA (read the forums) but you'll be paying extra for that.
3. Yes you will probably get in to foundations.
4. No. SGU is well known but again doesn't matter if SABA is a better fit.

mostinterestingMD
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the response! The small class sizes, less distractions, lower tuition of SABA all seem great and wonderful for me. But I am also thinking about placing for more competitive residencies, clinical placement, and overall reputation of SGU

rokshana
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
agree with house..couldn't have said it better!

the key is to go to the school that best suits you, because that will be the place that you have the potential to become the most competitive applicant for residency...sgu, auc, ross, and saba will be able to get you to that point...

and if you have a guarantee for an MD program and the other is not...you should go with the MD program.

mostinterestingMD
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. It definitely made the decision a bit easier. I'll be starting this January!

Trillium
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM

If you need Fed. loans, you won't get it at Saba. That would be a deal breaker for some.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.