PDA

View Full Version : Texas! - Can we do rotations or practice?

MD121
10-20-2010, 01:46 AM
I was wondering if rotations are available in Texas and what hurdles an IAU grad would face if any to practice in Texas in a NON VA hospital?

cutelilMD
10-22-2010, 01:34 AM
I don't think there are any rotations in texas right now, but that could change in the future. However if you speak to the hospitals in Texas you might be able to do elective rotations, which is less than 12 weeks, but it depends on the hopital.

Texas is case by case, so that means you have to get license in another state and then apply for Texas license. If they approve you, you will be able to practice in texas.

This goes for all the other states that follows the cali list: Nevada, oregon, arkansas, etc...
apply for license in states that allow IAU, then apply for the rejected states, and if approve you be able to practice there. This is why we are able to get license in 49 states.

As for Cali, you can only work in a VA hospital :). Therefore, we can practice in 50 states

that is what the administrator told me, i hope this helps!!!

MD121
10-22-2010, 02:08 AM
I don't think there are any rotations in texas right now, but that could change in the future. However if you speak to the hospitals in Texas you might be able to do elective rotations, which is less than 12 weeks, but it depends on the hopital.

Texas is case by case, so that means you have to get license in another state and then apply for Texas license. If they approve you, you will be able to practice in texas.

This goes for all the other states that follows the cali list: Nevada, oregon, arkansas, etc...
apply for license in states that allow IAU, then apply for the rejected states, and if approve you be able to practice there. This is why we are able to get license in 49 states.

As for Cali, you can only work in a VA hospital :). Therefore, we can practice in 50 states

that is what the administrator told me, i hope this helps!!!

Thank you SO much for the clarification... I finally understand how the calii law works now. But, I'll mention... and don't quote me on this... and I'm sure someone will further clarify, but I think Arkansas recently trashed the calii list thereby making it a FMG friendly state.

Hope this helps.

dr.kidd
10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
As far as my limited knowledge goes, you can do core or elective rotations in Texas only if you are registered as a "visiting student" with a Texas Medical School.

Texas does not restrict post graduate training (residency) based on what medical school you attended for your MD.

After completing residency, you can apply for physician licensure in Texas. You must however establish that your MD course work is of "substantial equivalence" to that of a Texas Medical School. You must also complete all core rotations in green book hospitals in order to satisfy this requirement.

You do not have to prove substantial equivalence if you satisfy one of the two conditions below:

1. Board Certification in your area of practice.
2. Licensed by another state medical board in the US.

For further clarification, I would suggest contacting the TMB

Texas Medical Board
P.O. Box 2018
Austin, TX 78768-2018
(512) 305-7010/Fax: (512) 305-7008
Disciplinary Hotline (800) 248-4062
Consumer Complaint Hotline (800) 201-9353
www.tmb.state.tx.us (http://www.tmb.state.tx.us)

crazydr
10-31-2010, 09:33 AM
From little research I have done so far, agree with dr. Kidd regarding TX..

DNApolymerase
10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
What about elective rotations. Should they also be completed in green book hospital in other to meet the requirement for license in Texas?

MD121
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM
What about elective rotations. Should they also be completed in green book hospital in other to meet the requirement for license in Texas?

I don't understand why someone would not want to do a "greenbook" rotation... regardless of core or elective.

Can you explain to me what "greenbook" means? I don't think there really is a clear definition. But, from what I know... I think your attending has to have an affiliation to and be on clinical staff of a teaching hospital?

IAU Admissions
11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
For licensure in Texas all core and elective rotations must be green. Or you should be board certified.

The term "Greenbook" refers to clinical rotations that have an ACGME approved residency program in that rotation.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.