PDA

View Full Version : Greenbook clinicals

tobadoc
10-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Heyy guys, i jus spoke with the concerned authority of AAIMS, seems like they provide all core rotations, greenbook.! :D

dr.kidd
10-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Did you ask whether AAIMS has a direct affiliation contracts with these hospitals ? Some states may require this for licensure purposes.

I am all about new schools making the difference. But would be a little sckeptical until I have all the evidence to think otherwise. The school website does not have much information on administration or clinical sites. Maybe they are working on putting together the information for public eyes.

Either ways it is too early to tell.

tobadoc
10-17-2010, 01:42 PM
oh yeah dr.kidd. He said he cant giv out the names of the hospitals. But they hav DIRECT AFFILIATION it seems. yeah i even read that somewhere in valuemd that its imp.

cutelilMD
10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
New Jersey what???

New Jersey is hella strict when it comes to rotations and residency. How did a new school get that?

fenrirto
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
it's the first time in which I here about such a thing !!

tobadoc
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I think, this is new and this school maybe different from all other caribbean schools.

houmd
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
New Jersey what???

New Jersey is hella strict when it comes to rotations and residency. How did a new school get that?

As the law stands no IMGs from schools not currently grandfathered into the previous law will be allowed to complete ANY clinical rotations in New Jersey.

They are probably referring to using a third party company to set up rotations which is either based out of NJ or has rotations in NJ but wont be able to dispense them to this school.

tobadoc
10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
:confused:

Oh.................

MD2014
10-26-2010, 10:58 PM
:confused:

Oh.................

Hey tobadoc, your signature says you're 18. based on that I would like to offer you some advice. That is all this is, its just advice from someone expereinced along these lines.

1. Finish Unndergrad. A ** or BA degree is a good thing to have
2. Exhaust all US med school options (if you are a US citizen). It is worth every minute of studying to get into one of these institutions. There are a number of reasons why this is so, but just do a quick search on here and you'll find the answer. Main reason is that the compettion for residency is really cutthroat. Having a foreign MD (from a brand new school at that) WILL make your life that much harder. It is better to suffer through the headaches now rather than later.
3. Do not forget DO programs.
4. Go through the US cycle a minimum of 2 times before considering a foreign school.
5. If need be, look only at established foreign schools with a proven track record. SGU tops the list. AUC I hear is pretty good too. You can also try you're luck with Ross and Saba. All however, require a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation.
6. Always look at the loan options. Most students need loans, and many foreign schools only have private loans with a really high interest rate.

That is the advice I can give you. You can chose to take it or leave, just decide wisely and really take the time to think this through. At 18, you are still young and have much to learn about these matters.

I wish you the best,

MD2014

tobadoc
10-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Heyy ..thnx for this GREAT Advice...you're right..i understand.! Well m actually not a US citizen..m from India...Also technically m not a high school graduate.! I finished my high school last year and then i did one year of dentistry (its a undergrad here) ata Harvard Assoc. Univ...durin this tyme i representd my college for various national seminars and did paper presentation on Cranial nerves at a Dental council of India's diamond jubilee celebrations. I also did dissected brain out of cadavers (as dental students v study Head and neck part of anat here) many tymes.(As population is soo high in india, v hav lik 100's of cadavers in a kilometer long anat lab)..!..Also unlike US, the Indian high school covers a whole LOTT of bio,phy,chem n stuff.(my cousin finishd his high school in US, so got to knw =) - no offence). I applied for SGU's **/MD program...they accepted my into the final term of pre med. but the moneyyy is tooo much for mee. i mean if its 300k for u guys, for indians its lik 700 or 800k. We're all not rich. =)

Based on this i thought i could manage at a med school. you thnk m wrong?!...I mean i could REALLYY use some helpp out here.

MD2014
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Heyy ..thnx for this GREAT Advice...you're right..i understand.! Well m actually not a US citizen..m from India...Also technically m not a high school graduate.! I finished my high school last year and then i did one year of dentistry (its a undergrad here) ata Harvard Assoc. Univ...durin this tyme i representd my college for various national seminars and did paper presentation on Cranial nerves at a Dental council of India's diamond jubilee celebrations. I also did dissected brain out of cadavers (as dental students v study Head and neck part of anat here) many tymes.(As population is soo high in india, v hav lik 100's of cadavers in a kilometer long anat lab)..!..Also unlike US, the Indian high school covers a whole LOTT of bio,phy,chem n stuff.(my cousin finishd his high school in US, so got to knw =) - no offence). I applied for SGU's **/MD program...they accepted my into the final term of pre med. but the moneyyy is tooo much for mee. i mean if its 300k for u guys, for indians its lik 700 or 800k. We're all not rich. =)

Based on this i thought i could manage at a med school. you thnk m wrong?!...I mean i could REALLYY use some helpp out here.

Managing at a med school and getting into a residency are 2 completley seperate things. I would recommend you finish your high school and finish the requirements for a US school. If that is too much, aim for SGU, AUC or Ross (KNOW the advantages/disadvantages of each). Saba is good too from what I hear. I would recommend to stay away from "All American Institute". It is way to new and has no history in the states. Residency directors will shy away from you if you attended a foreign school that no one has heard of. The 4 schools i mentioned has a reputation, and they alone are the schools that are the best in the caribbeans. But like I said you are very young. Don't limit yourself by attending some of these money making machines in the islands.

DrDshah
10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Hello MD2014,

Thank you for all your inputs. I have been following details for various Caribbean schools and plan to apply for May 2011 sessions to various schools.

During my research and discussions with my seniors who have already got into MD programs in US from various offshore med schools, they pointed out that it is not necessary that a school that was established few years back is better than a new one. They even name couple of schools that started before 2004 are de-listed by state of California and hence by other states that follow the same list. Actually they advised me to apply for a new school since it does not has a bad name at least and being new they will ensure that the initial student batches are really successful as they want to establish themselves. Also I was asked to ensure that school is CAAM-HP certified.

While still there is some time for me to apply to various schools, I just thought of adding the inputs that I have received from my seniors. Hope this helps everyone applying for Jan 2011 semester. Good luck guys

MD2014
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Hello MD2014,

Thank you for all your inputs. I have been following details for various Caribbean schools and plan to apply for May 2011 sessions to various schools.

During my research and discussions with my seniors who have already got into MD programs in US from various offshore med schools, they pointed out that it is not necessary that a school that was established few years back is better than a new one. They even name couple of schools that started before 2004 are de-listed by state of California and hence by other states that follow the same list. Actually they advised me to apply for a new school since it does not has a bad name at least and being new they will ensure that the initial student batches are really successful as they want to establish themselves. Also I was asked to ensure that school is CAAM-HP certified.

While still there is some time for me to apply to various schools, I just thought of adding the inputs that I have received from my seniors. Hope this helps everyone applying for Jan 2011 semester. Good luck guys

Hi

With all due respect to your MD "seniors", you really ought to look at this from a PD's point of view. If the school has absolutley no record of producing grads, why would a residency program want to risk 40K into that resident? It comes down to this: Student A from School Unknown. School unknown opened up in 2010. Student B from School B. School B opened up in 2000, with a history of successful grads. It is logically more probable to select student B. I am not saying that getting into a program is impossible from School unknown, it is alot harder. And being a foreign grad, things are already tough and getting tougher. Why risk adding in an unknown school to the mix?

Also, there is a difference between schools that opened up in 2004 and those that opened up in 2010. 6 years difference.

Try to make the best decision. Just because these schools are easier to get into does not mean that they will get you to where you need to be. There are schools that will get you where you need to be in the Caribbean. Do some research on these forums.

My rankings are as follows (in order):

1. SGU
2. AUC
3. Ross (albeit clinical issues)
4. SABA
5. MUA (no 50 states, but history of grads. Opened in 1998).
6. AUA (albeit severe clinical issues, from what I hear. Opened in 2004).
7. SMU (DISAPPROVED in cali. )

All of the others should not even be considered at this point. The US is opening up roughly 16 new medical schools in the next 4 years and the established ones are increasing enrollment. Do a wikipedia search if you do not believe me.

Best of luck to everyone,

MD2014

Dr House
10-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi

With all due respect to your MD "seniors", you really ought to look at this from a PD's point of view. If the school has absolutley no record of producing grads, why would a residency program want to risk 40K into that resident? It comes down to this: Student A from School Unknown. School unknown opened up in 2010. Student B from School B. School B opened up in 2000, with a history of successful grads. It is logically more probable to select student B. I am not saying that getting into a program is impossible from School unknown, it is alot harder. And being a foreign grad, things are already tough and getting tougher. Why risk adding in an unknown school to the mix?

Good statement. Another thing to look at is why a US PD would take an indian graduate from a foreign school in the Caribbean (or any other) when its hard enough for US citizens and Canadians to get these spots. And its only getting harder. Just keep that in mind.

crazydr
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
dr. house your points are valid. But I also heard PD's also give importance to USMLE scores, LOR, personality and not just school student graduated. two of my cousins who graduated from other Caribbean school (not from the above list) got into residency and are now practicing. i still have time to decide will see how this school will progress.:cool:

DrDshah
10-31-2010, 11:46 AM
i am with you crazydr. I cannot afford the fee for top schools being not elegible for federal loans offered by those schools:faint:. i am searching schools that have CAAM approval and seems like AAIMS is one of it. i am applying for may. let c...:roll:

Dr House
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
I meant citizenship as the big factor, not the school's name or reputation. Residency spots are limited and it's getting more competitive for even grads from US/Can. So why would PDs take an indian over someone who is a citizen..

allsaintstudent
11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
i think hes a troll for the school anyway :l

tobadoc
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the advice..!!! I appreciate it..Anyway, even though i thought of joinin AAIMS, I didnt...! .. Mayb v shd give it sometyme for this school..!

I totally agree with the citizenship thng...!!

soniaa
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I meant citizenship as the big factor, not the school's name or reputation. Residency spots are limited and it's getting more competitive for even grads from US/Can. So why would PDs take an indian over someone who is a citizen..

because the indian is dancer queeen

winged_scapula
07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
:cool: :cool:

carib_student
08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Where can get the so called "Green book"?

Maldos
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey tobadoc, your signature says you're 18. based on that I would like to offer you some advice. That is all this is, its just advice from someone expereinced along these lines.

1. Finish Unndergrad. A ** or BA degree is a good thing to have
2. Exhaust all US med school options (if you are a US citizen). It is worth every minute of studying to get into one of these institutions. There are a number of reasons why this is so, but just do a quick search on here and you'll find the answer. Main reason is that the compettion for residency is really cutthroat. Having a foreign MD (from a brand new school at that) WILL make your life that much harder. It is better to suffer through the headaches now rather than later.
3. Do not forget DO programs.
4. Go through the US cycle a minimum of 2 times before considering a foreign school.
5. If need be, look only at established foreign schools with a proven track record. SGU tops the list. AUC I hear is pretty good too. You can also try you're luck with Ross and Saba. All however, require a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation.
6. Always look at the loan options. Most students need loans, and many foreign schools only have private loans with a really high interest rate.

That is the advice I can give you. You can chose to take it or leave, just decide wisely and really take the time to think this through. At 18, you are still young and have much to learn about these matters.

I wish you the best,

MD2014

I stumbled upon this site after a friend stated he is currently in medical school taking courses online, of course I was skeptical. I have been practicing medicine in California for almost 25 years, and I have seen a lot of changes. I also was an FMG from Guadalajara, and can tell you it's not an easy path.

The advice MD2014 gives above is very valid and worthy of strong consideration, there is just no easy way. Bottom line, attend U.S if possible, if not pick a school with a good reputation and excellent track record for entering back.

DMMD

Returning resident
02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
the executive or associated dean or whoever she is, i am told said that GAMES is de best school in de whirl

i heard that the top brass at GAMES who were all edjicated or worked at uwi at some time are all bad mouting uwi, despite the fact that uwi has been around since 1948 and these dreamers barely last out a year

they hemraging money real bad i hear they have an army of occupation cause the top brass does tink big....but they cant deliver
......they can only dream big but i hear that they dont have a clue about running a bar even if you give them all the drinks

far less run a medical school

students leaving too for all kinds of reasons

one female left because the associated dean or whoever she is, i am told threatened to kick her out of school because of her choice of boyfriend and because she went to his room

the story goes like this
GAMES employs a sort of jack of all trades called various names by students, admin or what ever. this chap was interested in the young student and she rejected his advance by telling him NEVER never. he thought that she said never and called his name which is close enough to never so he started in his capacity as warden to police the area and snope around and report the girl for visiting her boyfriends yard. he even called the chaps former boyfriend and had security to open the gate with the hope that the ex would have caught the student in sweet boy room so as to call a fracas

the word on the street from thru the campus gate was that the associated dean was very nasty to this girl who comes from a big up local famlee who left the school and returned over seas to finish her first degree

the boyfriend is still at school but is hated by the associated dean and other big ups at the school cause they cant answer any of his questions like where are they going to have clinicals

i real dissapointed with GAMES cause as a returning resident of black river i was hoping to send my girls there to study........had to send them to town to uwi. will cost me more money but better for them. i have been finding out all dat i can about this fake school; and will share my findings on this place and other related blogs whenever i can

mbbsguyana
02-20-2012, 05:58 AM
i understand.! Well m actually not a US citizen..m from India...Also technically m not a high school graduate.! I finished my high school last year and then i did one year of dentistry (its a undergrad here) ata Harvard Assoc. Univ...durin this tyme i representd my college for various national seminars and did paper presentation on Cranial nerves at a Dental council of India's diamond jubilee celebrations.

mbbsguyana
02-20-2012, 06:02 AM
your signature says you're 18. based on that I would like to offer you some advice. That is all this is, its just advice from someone expereinced along these lines.

Returning resident
02-26-2012, 08:12 PM
last janry a so called medical school started in Jamaica called AAIMS [GAMES} with only six students a strange curriculum and no idea where the students would do their clinicals
this school is run by a set of women with ego problems who nothing about medicine oh yea they have a figure head dean to rubber stamp things he never knows nothing about whats going on always have to seek info from the women in charge

this janry another medical school started in another island with more students with a recognizable curriculum and a definite statement about clinicals

which school you think students chose to go to?

of the first two batches of students registered with GAMES 3 of 11 students left before completing 1.5 semesters that is 27 % or 1/3 rd of students who enroll at GAMES dont make it pass the first term if they get so far

i wonder why

even there teacher say GAMES IS WORSE THAN WINDSOR AND THAT AAIMS=GAMES IS POOH POOH

elmwood park
03-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Dont go to Loretto Hospital. It is not in Greenbook and rotations are horrible.

elmwood park
03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
do not go to Loretto Hospital, chicago. It is a sham

elmwood park
03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Do Not do rotations at Loretto Hospital Chicago. BEWARE. waste of time and money.

Abigail1509
07-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.