PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Applying to PUCCM August 2011

hipocratesmd
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Just Wondering if anyone is applying to PUCMM School of Medicine for August 2011...

Solo curioso si alguien estara aplicando para la PUCMM campus de Medicina para Agosto 2011...

cristipr
11-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Hola!!! Yo tambien estoy aplicando para Agosto del 2011!!

hipocratesmd
11-13-2010, 04:57 PM
super cool te envie un msg para comunicarnos...

papayamama
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Christi,

I am also applying. I am very much looking forward to it as well.

cristipr
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Great! Where are you from? Have you visited the campus?

hipocratesmd
11-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm from Puerto Rico and I have visited the campus it's beautiful and big...

cristipr
11-19-2010, 08:38 PM
That's so great to hear! I'm pretty sure that I might visit the campus in mid january i'm really excited, i'll let you guys know how everything goes.
Hipocratesmd did you get my email??

cristipr
11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
That's so great to hear! I'm pretty sure that I might visit the campus in mid january i'm really excited, i'll let you guys know how everything goes.

papayamama
11-19-2010, 10:35 PM
double post

papayamama
11-19-2010, 10:37 PM
I am dual citizen, Dominican-American.

I may be heading down sometime soon ( maybe within the next week or so).

I spoke to admissions representative over the phone. She was highly helpful and willing to answer all of my questions, in a professional manner. She also told me step by step what I need to do regarding admissions.

The only thing that I DID NOT like is that someone (not her) of PUCMM (actually in the medicine department) told me that they view the US MLE as a seperate entity and therefore offer little to no help to students. This woman stated that Santiago students would have to go to Santo Domingo (SD) for help, which is quite a negative. However, tomorrow I plan on speaking to the director regarding this issue.

The admissions representative stated that their professors are great. However, a large amount of passing depends on student initiative ( studying being an example, and contacting professors as needed). I asked about students who may need extra help. She said as long as the student reaches out, the professor will help. And that their staff is "Professional."

PUCMM is a large campus. They have plenty of services to students. They offer a variety of sports and are in the process of expanding.

Regarding medical clubs/associations- The Admissions rep. told me that they don't really have any specific clubs or organizations HOWEVER there is a program/some type of organization in which students who are interested receive invitations to attend certain medicine related events and even "give presentations."

Also, in God-forbidden situations, where a student may need help, there is a professional staff available which range from counselors to psychologists and there is a place where students needing immediate medical help can go to on campus.

Also, if you are Dominican ( you have citizenship or were born there) your your tuition will be substantially less. And if you are also American, you will have the option of receiving Federal Stafford loans to help you pay for all your expenses.

I would also like to note that PUCMM is the only university of the three that I have called that actually pick up their phones, answer professionally, and helped me. Universidad Cat. Nordestana did answer their phones and are professional when they deal with you, however, they started redirecting me to people of all sorts.

UASD, which was the one I actually wanted to go to because it is Oldest University in the Americas barely answered their phones, and when they did they redirected me to people that would either not answer or just did not know how to answer my questions.

In a university, administration is a hugely important aspect. Being there for your students when they need help is very important. Being of support and making sure their needs are being met is HUGE. Medical school can be very demanding, why not have advocates on your side rather than an administration that is going to oppose you?

I will write another post on how my conversation goes tomorrow with the directora.

Sincerely,

J

hipocratesmd
11-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Very Good post Papayama what happens with UCNE is that if you are a foreign student the process is handled by an Office in Bayamon Puerto Rico. And like I talked to you in a different post you have to study with Kaplan or some other program for the USMLE's and ask for the professors for help if you do not understand something but basically it's all on the student...

hipocratesmd
11-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Yes I just read it sorry I already answer it...

papayamama
11-20-2010, 01:43 AM
double post

papayamama
11-20-2010, 01:54 AM
double post

papayamama
11-20-2010, 02:20 AM
double post

papayamama
11-20-2010, 02:32 AM
In terms of ethical aspects, I also like that the Dominican Republic, unlike the United States, DOES NOT allow the killing animals in order for students to learn about internal functions. Being a peace and animal rights advocate, that is huge for me.

cristipr
11-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for your reply papayamama!!
Please let me know how your conversation goes.
Thanks Hipocratesmd i'll get back to you.

cristipr
11-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Hipocratesmd i can't find your email :-s

papayamama
11-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi

What year/ status are you entering as? Premed or Med, Post-Bac, Post-High School? Transfer?

hipocratesmd
11-20-2010, 06:44 PM
MedStudent

cristipr
11-21-2010, 01:25 AM
I'll be entering as a med student.

hipocratesmd
11-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Cristi I will send you the documents otra vez...! Because I have them. And Im curious Cristi what made you decide on PUCMM instead of Unibe, Intec or UCNE?

cristipr
11-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks so much i really appreciate all your help.
I haven't considered Unibe because of the fact that it's not approved in all 50 states. I really don't know yet where i'll be practicing medicine in the future and I don't want to go to a school that is not on the California list of approved medical schools. I have close family and relatives in San Francisco and I would like to be able to have the option to practice in that particular city and state. Apart from this, the tuition is higher at Unibe and that's another determining factor in my case. I have good friends that are current students at Unibe and they are very happy and satisfied with the education that they are receiving however because of the above mentioned reasons i don't think the school is right for me. In terms of UCNE i have looked up some information on the school but have yet to attend an orientation seminar. One drawback that I consider this school has is the location. However i'll state a more profound opinion after I attend the orientation seminar and know more about the school. I am still considering Intec but i haven't had the opportunity to talk to anyone who is a current/graduate student from this university but i'm traveling to santo domingo early 2011 so i'll keep you posted. The some of the reasons why I currently prefer Pucmm are the following: 50 states approval + Puerto Rico, I know some classmates who are studying there and are very satisfied and happy with their education, tuition is affordable, clinical rotations in the us and pr, location and a very strong academic curriculum.

cristipr
11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Why did you decide on PUCMM?

cristipr
11-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Why did you decide on PUCMM?

hipocratesmd
11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Well simple really Unibe is beautiful and good but the cost does not justify anything. UCE well lets not go into that Let just say NO. Intec I just said no because of lack of information and un-inviting administration. UCNE I still have it in my list...! And PUCMM is on my list up till Now. I think its PUCMM but I could go to UCNE because of other factors. Still analizing some outside factors of UCNE like the international students affairs is in Puerto Rico that for me is a bonus! They are even more helpful than PUCMM and the city San Francisco de Macoris has a lower crime rate than Santiago. because of size and geographic location and other factors. Soo I'm 60% PUCMM. 40%UCNE. Till now this could change when I plug in the other factors!

papayamama
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Update-

Called back regarding help with setting up a US MLE help and they seem to view it as a matter that when the time arrives, then we will get there. Totally forgot to get a number of US including PR (Pre)Med students and overrall medical students. Unless someone wants to volunteer to call, I'll be calling again next week( it's free for me, so no worries, just a matter of time) I was interested in seeing just how much help they would give me in starting an offical US MLE prep course/prep site so that if we are interested in taking one, we don't have to travel all the way to SD. Regarding the rotations- the rotations are four in total, lasting three months each( bad connection at this point in the call, but I am pretty sure that is the number I heard)only ONE rotation outside of the DR is allowed. And that the rotation with Creighton lasts two months, not three. But mostly, students compete for rotation with St. Barnabas in the Bronx ( which is kind of a surprise for me because St. Barnabas doesn't have very good ratings AT ALL) but anyway... hope this helps.

cristipr
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Papayamama please keep me posted!!!!

F R O G G E R
02-23-2012, 12:33 AM
PUCCM provide federal loan? If you enter as a med student, how many years will take to finish? do they required to pass USMLE after science cycle?

josh18
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
FROGGER, PUCMM status is something to worry about, they lost their federal loans, administration didn't say too much... So we are very concern about our future in this institution... They said that starting on August Usmle will be required before rotations but who knows...

Jami
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Do they require mcat.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.