PDA

View Full Version : Accepted for the May 2011 semester

model1988
10-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I just got accepted for the May 2011 semester. Anyone else entering or applying for the May start date?

I'm 22 I have B.A. in bio from Columbus State University and I reside in Georgia.

floridaMD
10-12-2010, 11:15 PM
hey, congrats on getting accepted. hoping to have my application totally completed by the end of this week. how long did it take for you to hear back about an interview?

model1988
10-13-2010, 08:18 AM
hey, congrats on getting accepted. hoping to have my application totally completed by the end of this week. how long did it take for you to hear back about an interview?

Thanks! Once I got all of my application materials in, I interviewed two weeks after that date. Then I received a call informing me that I was accepted 2 days after my interview. They will tell you that its going to take a while for your application to get reviewed since they are still in the process of reviewing Jan 2011 applicants but that is totally untrue. I think they say they just so we won't call and annoy admissions about our application status. Good luck.

shortee04
10-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey what kind of questions did they ask you in your interview?? Im about to do mine?? Is there any need for me to be nervous?

model1988
10-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey what kind of questions did they ask you in your interview?? Im about to do mine?? Is there any need for me to be nervous?

There is no need to be nervous. The interviewer will ask:
Did you know that there was a Jan semester? If so, why did you apply for May?
Why do you want to attend SMU?
How will you pay for your tuition?
If you do not have the $$$ would you do the MBA program or take advantage of the payment plan?
Questions will be asked about questionable things on your transcript or MCAT score.
Did you take a Kaplan MCAT prep course?
Have you been out of the country before?
Tell me about you last clinical shadowing experience?

My interview was basically a conversation. It lasted a little over thirty minutes. Just do not blow it and you'll be fine!

YSC
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi guys. What are you doing about payment?!!? What loans are you using. Do any of you know of non-certified student loans that get paid directly to the student!? I am suppose to start the Jan. 2011 term...I am having so much trouble finding non-certified student loans. Please help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

model1988
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi guys. What are you doing about payment?!!? What loans are you using. Do any of you know of non-certified student loans that get paid directly to the student!? I am suppose to start the Jan. 2011 term...I am having so much trouble finding non-certified student loans. Please help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Sorry, I do not know of any loan options. I hope that maybe SMU will have federal funding by the end of 2011.

Johnnytinx
10-27-2010, 08:55 PM
is the MCAT required for this school? I am taking it in January 29, 2011, would this be too late for admission to the May class?

model1988
10-27-2010, 10:00 PM
is the MCAT required for this school? I am taking it in January 29, 2011, would this be too late for admission to the May class?

Yes the MCAT is a requirement, and no it would not be too late for the May class. The admissions office advises an applicant to apply at least 4 months before the desired start date. Just make sure that you have everything else turned in, so that the only thing the school will be waiting for is your MCAT scores.

Johnnytinx
10-29-2010, 05:23 PM
model1988. i am from georgia also, graduated from Auburn University in Alabama though. Started at GPC, GSU

Where is the interview conducted? In states, on island, telephone?

model1988
10-31-2010, 11:46 AM
model1988. i am from georgia also, graduated from Auburn University in Alabama though. Started at GPC, GSU

Where is the interview conducted? In states, on island, telephone?

Oh wow! I actually graduated from Columbus State which is like 30 mins from Auburn. And I have many friends that attend GPC and GSU. The interview was conducted over the phone. It lasted for probably 30 minutes.

M.O.G.
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey Model..congratulations on your acceptance! I'm well aware that Davenport doesn't cover all expenses but what percentage (approximately) is covered? I know other factors come in to play as to total costs like how far away from campus you decide to reside etc & so amounts vary....but a ball park amount would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats once again!!!!

model1988
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you!!!!!

M.O.G.
01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the response...

ar284
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Hey guys! I got accepted for May 2011 semester as well!!

M.O.G.
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
M.O.G. got accepted! Now the paperwork voyage begins!

model1988
02-05-2011, 07:48 PM
M.O.G. got accepted! Now the paperwork voyage begins!

Congratulations! So do you start in May? If so we must connect on fb, then at least I'll have one person that I know when I go to the island.

M.O.G.
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm not on Facebook...but yes I will be starting in may.I have an Idea though..I'll be at the airport with a placard that has "MODEL1988" written on it with a sharpie.

model1988
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not on Facebook...but yes I will be starting in may.I have an Idea though..I'll be at the airport with a placard that has "MODEL1988" written on it with a sharpie.

LOL whatever you do plz don't do that... I'd probably walk by it anyway w/o noticing. But I plan on arriving to the island on April 29, since we have to be there for orientation on May 1st.

M.O.G.
02-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Alright! So Its official...May '11! The journey continues. I'm on Facebook [Mog Mogul]..is there like an official FB "Entering May 2011" group?

cx0823
02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Alright! So Its official...May '11! The journey continues. I'm on Facebook [Mog Mogul]..is there like an official FB "Entering May 2011" group?

Congratulation, I will be seeing you on the island for the may 2011 semester too. Where are you from and how old are you?

doctaaa
02-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Accepted as well. Where is everyone living? RH or RS? and how many of you are doing the Davenport MBA? how difficult is it and how much do you expect it to interfere with your med school curriculum?

congrats to all accepted so far...see you all on the island!!

Khep
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on your acceptance! You will love the school. I love it here!

Silence367
03-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey guys! I recently got accepted to SMU also for May. Congrats to everyone. I'm looking forward starting school and meeting you all.

Silence367
03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Khep. How long have you been at SMU?

Silence367
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Doctaaa, I just got accepted to SMU for May. I'm going to be living in the RH. I don't want to, but I think I'm going to do the Davenport program. I have a friend at SMU, and she says that you only have to take one business class a semester. She says it can be kind of annoying, but it's worth the money.

model1988
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Accepted as well. Where is everyone living? RH or RS? and how many of you are doing the Davenport MBA? how difficult is it and how much do you expect it to interfere with your med school curriculum?

congrats to all accepted so far...see you all on the island!!

Hi, I will be living in RH probably for the 5 semesters that I'm on the island.

M.O.G.
03-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Doctaaa, I just got accepted to SMU for May. I'm going to be living in the RH. I don't want to, but I think I'm going to do the Davenport program. I have a friend at SMU, and she says that you only have to take one business class a semester. She says it can be kind of annoying, but it's worth the money.

yeah most med1 students end up in RH or RS...i looked at some pictures and the rooms look mad small. i understand im not going to SMU because of room space but having a roommate in such confined quarters will certainly require getting used to. But then again, it might not be that bad - might end up liking it and stay there for all 5 sems. Worst case scenario, it'll be only for 1 semester...which should me ample time to find alternative housing. Yea like model1988 pointed out, Davenport aint that bad but you'd have to follow your schedule to the teeth to balance things out..it'll definitely take a huge chuck out of your downtime but totally doable.

Silence367
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Model1988, you said you were in the Davenport program. I'm getting ready to sign up. Which MBA program is it exactly? Thanks

model1988
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
The program that I'm doing is the MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Management. Davenport University > Microsites > Davenport, Medical Schools Partnership (http://www.davenport.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=558)

Silence367
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info Model1988. I really appreciate it.

nitroking2001
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I was also accepted into the May 2011 semester. Looking forward to going...

Silence367
03-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Congrats on getting accepted Nitroking

Khep
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Khep. How long have you been at SMU?

This is my first semester, but I love it! If you come here willing to work, your profs are here to help. Also, the upper classmen are extremely helpful. However, don't listen to those who have repeated classes. There are a few who repeat a class and try to pretend to be T.A.'s.

It all depends on you. Go to class. Study. Meet with your professors. Ask questions. Get to know them and let them get to know you and it is all good. Did I mention that you need to study?

It's not easy. A lot of work. But doable. Also, the Cayman Islands are nice, but you need to decide if you want to enjoy the island or get a medical degree. I stayed in my room and studied on the weekends. Some of my classmates went out every Friday night and got drunk. This week was the week where people had to drop a class. They are sweating it and I am not.

Also, remember what you are here for. Stay out of the drama. No gossip. I don't know what the gossip is in my class and don't care. If all goes well I will be doing rotations in September 2012. I will have limited contact with many of my classmates. So clearly what seems to be important and worth gossiping about in this very instant will likely mean nothing when we are doing our rotations. So don't let such nonsense distract you.

Also, if your family and friends at home are drama queens, you may want to limit contact. The nice thing about the island is that you can control who calls. I don't go on facebook a lot. I Skype my family every week or so. My friends no better than to call me with drama.

If you are doing Davenport, have a plan to balance your work. Davenport is not easy because it is very time consuming. I do all of my postings for the next week over the weekend and then fit in individual posts during breaks throughout the week. I also try to do a little research every day (30 minutes max) so that I can whip out my assignments on the weekend.

Sleep in important. No matter what, work it in. I didn't do this and wish I had. While I am no where near failing my course, I could have done a lot better, but sleep was an issue for me. All the more reason to stay out of the clubs, bars and gossip. You will need that time to sleep if you are truly studying. I only go out the weekend after block exams. This is once a month. The rest of the time, I am hitting the books hard. It seems to be working.

When exams are over, I tend to want to sleep, have dinner with friends or go to the beach. Others may want to go clubbing. That's fine. Just don't make clubbing an every Friday thing. In med school, there is no such thing as Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have studied on Friday nights before blocks. When there are not blocks, I try to take a little breather (i.e. relax, facebook, sleep) on Friday and Satuday. But I usually study on both days. Saturday is definitely a study day.

Your future is in your hands and you have all of the tools to help you. Doctor R, Doctor B, Doctor M are wonderful for anatomy. Stay in there faces and learn the material. They want to help you. Dr. O of Histology comes off as a hard ***, but in truth he is one of the most down earth people you will ever meet. He just doesn't have time for b.s. If you are a serious student, he will do all he can to help you. The other histology professor Dr. ***** is the same way. His tests are very difficult. I haven't figured them out yet. He is new to the University and a very nice and humble man. Get to know him also.

Hang with the winners.

Again, you can be successful if you want to be. It's in your hands.

Silence367
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Khep. Thanks for responding. What you said is 100% true. You hit it right on the head. Thanks for all the great info.

M.O.G.
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
This is my first semester, but I love it! If you come here willing to work, your profs are here to help. Also, the upper classmen are extremely helpful. However, don't listen to those who have repeated classes. There are a few who repeat a class and try to pretend to be T.A.'s.

It all depends on you. Go to class. Study. Meet with your professors. Ask questions. Get to know them and let them get to know you and it is all good. Did I mention that you need to study?

It's not easy. A lot of work. But doable. Also, the Cayman Islands are nice, but you need to decide if you want to enjoy the island or get a medical degree. I stayed in my room and studied on the weekends. Some of my classmates went out every Friday night and got drunk. This week was the week where people had to drop a class. They are sweating it and I am not.

Also, remember what you are here for. Stay out of the drama. No gossip. I don't know what the gossip is in my class and don't care. If all goes well I will be doing rotations in September 2012. I will have limited contact with many of my classmates. So clearly what seems to be important and worth gossiping about in this very instant will likely mean nothing when we are doing our rotations. So don't let such nonsense distract you.

Also, if your family and friends at home are drama queens, you may want to limit contact. The nice thing about the island is that you can control who calls. I don't go on facebook a lot. I Skype my family every week or so. My friends no better than to call me with drama.

If you are doing Davenport, have a plan to balance your work. Davenport is not easy because it is very time consuming. I do all of my postings for the next week over the weekend and then fit in individual posts during breaks throughout the week. I also try to do a little research every day (30 minutes max) so that I can whip out my assignments on the weekend.

Sleep in important. No matter what, work it in. I didn't do this and wish I had. While I am no where near failing my course, I could have done a lot better, but sleep was an issue for me. All the more reason to stay out of the clubs, bars and gossip. You will need that time to sleep if you are truly studying. I only go out the weekend after block exams. This is once a month. The rest of the time, I am hitting the books hard. It seems to be working.

When exams are over, I tend to want to sleep, have dinner with friends or go to the beach. Others may want to go clubbing. That's fine. Just don't make clubbing an every Friday thing. In med school, there is no such thing as Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have studied on Friday nights before blocks. When there are not blocks, I try to take a little breather (i.e. relax, facebook, sleep) on Friday and Satuday. But I usually study on both days. Saturday is definitely a study day.

Your future is in your hands and you have all of the tools to help you. Doctor Rao, Bolgova, Mavrych are wonderful for anatomy. Stay in there faces and learn the material. They want to help you. Dr. Ochoa of Histology comes off as a hard ***, but in truth he is one of the most down earth people you will ever meet. He just doesn't have time for b.s. If you are a serious student, he will do all he can to help you. The other histology professor Dr. ***** is the same way. His tests are very difficult. I haven't figured them out yet. He is new to the University and a very nice and humble man. Get to know him also.

Hang with the winners.

Thanks so much for an insightful post. You're well grounded & got your head straight - Recipe for success in School. Keep it up. I hope to meet up with ya in May..

Silence367
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Khep, you're like a motivational speaker. They should have you give this speech to every incoming class!

JohnI
03-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I just got accepted for the May 2011 semester. Anyone else entering or applying for the May start date?

I'm 22 I have B.A. in bio from Columbus State University and I reside in Georgia.

Just to remind that you have 50/50 chances to make it...

Ari MD
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi my name is Ariane,

I've just been accepted for the may 2011. Im 30 years old and I have a B.S in Biology.

Silence367
03-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Khep. Were you able to apply for a Grad plus loan in addition to the initial approximate $9,000 you get for Davenport? The funding options are kind of confusing. Thanks in advance for advice.

JohnI
03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Doctor Rao, Bolgova, Mavrych are wonderful for anatomy. Stay in there faces and learn the material. They want to help you.

No they do not. What they really want is to get the shelf exam scores up and receive bonus from the school. Why do you think anatomy shelf board score is improved? Very simple explanation - school lets faculty to look at the shelf board exam...It by the way violates NBME rules...

model1988
03-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Just to remind that you have 50/50 chances to make it...

You don't know me... so don't even try me like that.... b/c you are wrong! I have a 100% chance of making it! I could go on and on trying to explain myself to you... but clearly it won't be worth my time. But just know that you do not determine my future, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.

M.O.G.
03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Whoa!!!...JohnI..not cool bro..Not cool

JohnI
03-06-2011, 06:59 AM
You don't know me... so don't even try me like that.... b/c you are wrong! I have a 100% chance of making it! I could go on and on trying to explain myself to you... but clearly it won't be worth my time. But just know that you do not determine my future, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.

You chose user name for a reason... Of course I do not determine your future I just predict it based on known facts... Mail me in 2 years...

Khep
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
For the person that asked about getting the PLUS loan, yes you can get it for approximately another $3,000. Call Davenport financial aid and discuss the details.

As for JohnI, addressing you is exactly the kind of nonsense I don't need. So consider this my only response to you. I spoke about my experiences with the anatomy and histology departments. If you had a different experience that is unfortunate. Many of my fellow classmates share the view that the professors are helpful. Perhaps you were one of those who couldn't stay focused? Considering that may be the case, I will not be responding to you further, because I am staying focused.

I rarely come to this site. I came here for some information from the classifieds and stumbled upon this thread out of curiousity. Prior to that the only time I was here was before I started my first semester. If you new students have questions, it would be better to PM me.

Ari MD
03-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Ive been communicating with the rep from Davenport. Im still working on what Im going to do as far as loans.

Silence367
03-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Hey Khep, thanks for all the great info. You're the best.

ucf2smu
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi all you guys starting May 2011 class! Congratulations and good luck with your first semester. Just know that if you need any help about the island or the cost of living or classes themselves, please ask your Junior members or higher that have positive and truthful things to say about SMU. Every school has flaws and so does our school. But we have major positive attributes as well so be wary of responses unless they can point you to a reliable source. I'm starting my last semester in May and look forward to seeing all you guys here on Grand Cayman! Good luck once more and welcome to Med School!

Silence367
03-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome ucf2smu

SMORGY
03-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Your future is in your hands and you have all of the tools to help you. Doctor R, Doctor B, Doctor M are wonderful for anatomy. Stay in there faces and learn the material. They want to help you. Dr. O of Histology comes off as a hard ***, but in truth he is one of the most down earth people you will ever meet. He just doesn't have time for b.s. If you are a serious student, he will do all he can to help you. The other histology professor Dr. ***** is the same way. His tests are very difficult. I haven't figured them out yet. He is new to the University and a very nice and humble man. Get to know him also.

Hang with the winners.

This is my first semester also, I do think what most of the things you said on here are correct but I also know a lot of people that went out on Friday nights that are doing really well, so you don't have to bash other people to make your self feel better :crazy: I also love your comment about "Hang with the winners" lol what a joke!! What makes you a winner?? Don't gossip lol your the one talking pooh pooh about your classmates!! Don't be mad because people don't like you, stick with your group of 4 friends and keep talking pooh pooh about other people and to all May 2011 people you have to worry about 2 things, 1- SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP and 2- STUDY, STUDY for 3-4 hours everyday after class to do well here at SMU. We have MANDATORY class from 8-4 everyday, then you are expected to study for another 4 hours after school and get 8 hours of sleep, so if you could do these 2 things you will do great, it doesn't matter if you go out on Friday nights but try to go to the open labs for anatomy on Saturday mornings at 9am. The best advice i can give you is after you read this go open your anatomy brs book and learn upper limb. If you don't have your books already then go online look up upper limb and learn everything!!!! If you noticed Khep didn't offer his or her notes lol well if you want a head start just PM me

Khep
03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
First, I didn't pooh, pooh my classmates. Also, if you read my post, I said: "Others may want to go clubbing. That's fine. Just don't make clubbing an every Friday thing." Did you not read that?

Most of the successful people in our class didn't make clubbing an every Friday thing. So get a grip.

Also, the advice I gave was the same advice given by some of the students in our SDP. Nothing special. Only someone lacking common sense would argue otherwise.

M.O.G.
03-29-2011, 01:54 PM
This is my first semester also, I do think what most of the things you said on here are correct but I also know a lot of people that went out on Friday nights that are doing really well, so you don't have to bash other people to make your self feel better :crazy: I also love your comment about "Hang with the winners" lol what a joke!! What makes you a winner?? Don't gossip lol your the one talking pooh pooh about your classmates!! Don't be mad because people don't like you, stick with your group of 4 friends and keep talking pooh pooh about other people and to all May 2011 people you have to worry about 2 things, 1- SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP and 2- STUDY, STUDY for 3-4 hours everyday after class to do well here at SMU. We have MANDATORY class from 8-4 everyday, then you are expected to study for another 4 hours after school and get 8 hours of sleep, so if you could do these 2 things you will do great, it doesn't matter if you go out on Friday nights but try to go to the open labs for anatomy on Saturday mornings at 9am. The best advice i can give you is after you read this go open your anatomy brs book and learn upper limb. If you don't have your books already then go online look up upper limb and learn everything!!!! If you noticed Khep didn't offer his or her notes lol well if you want a head start just PM me

Hey SMORGY...I agree with you because you make valid points and you keep it real. However, your approach could have been modified a little. It would seem that you are the one doing the bashing. I recommend that you....

SMORGY
03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
First, I didn't pooh, pooh my classmates. Also, if you read my post, I said: "Others may want to go clubbing. That's fine. Just don't make clubbing an every Friday thing." Did you not read that?

Most of the successful people in our class didn't make clubbing an every Friday thing. So get a grip.

Also, the advice I gave was the same advice given by some of the students in our SDP. Nothing special. Only someone lacking common sense would argue otherwise.

If by 'winners' you mean the people who did not need to drop then consider that 90% of our class went out almost every Friday night and out of them ONLY 10% are struggling. It all comes down to sleep and studying after class! If you can get 16 hours of studying on the weekend and 4 hours everyday after class then you are set!! Winning does come down to time management, and if you can work going out every weekend into your study schedule then you're really a winner. Study Hard Party Hard! We still love you Khep :D Good luck on Block 3!!

Khep
03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
If by 'winners' you mean the people who did not need to drop then consider that 90% of our class went out almost every Friday night and out of them ONLY 10% are struggling. It all comes down to sleep and studying after class! If you can get 16 hours of studying on the weekend and 4 hours everyday after class then you are set!! Winning does come down to time management, and if you can work going out every weekend into your study schedule then you're really a winner. Study Hard Party Hard! We still love you Khep :D Good luck on Block 3!!

Smorgy:

What don't you get about the words, "every Friday"? Yes, there is the odd ball who can party "every Friday" and do well. If you are that person, congratulations. However, the majority of our class did not do this. There are simply some weekends where you are going to have to stay home or in the library to study. Also, more than 10 percent of our class dropped Histo.

Have you not heard anyone say that hanging out with successful people (the winners) makes you more likely to be successful (or a winner)? That is not limited to people in your class either. There are upper classmen who are quite successful, who I hang with when I have an opportunity. I pick their brains as much as possible. Too bad you take such umbrage to that suggestion.

I guess, according to you, when upper classmen made the same comments to us, you must of thought they were bashing their classmates too. Do you not remember the guy, who said that he studied all of the time? He said, if someone didn't tell him he was on an island, he wouldn't really know the difference? Or what about the upper classman who said that the time going to the clubs and bars can often be better used for sleep? These two upper classman also spoke in general about their classmates who didn't heed such advice. I guess they were bashing these classmates too?

That said, I am going to follow my own advice. This nonsense is not going to help me (or you for that matter, but it's your choice if you want to continue) on our Block 3 exams. I don't have time to deal with someone who clearly has a personal beef, but is too cowardly to bring to my face. Instead, they choose to hide in a message board.

Good luck with your Block 3 Exams and Shelf.

SMORGY
03-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Smorgy:

What don't you get about the words, "every Friday"? Yes, there is the odd ball who can party "every Friday" and do well. If you are that person, congratulations. However, the majority of our class did not do this. There are simply some weekends where you are going to have to stay home or in the library to study. Also, more than 10 percent of our class dropped Histo.

Have you not heard anyone say that hanging out with successful people (the winners) makes you more likely to be successful (or a winner)? That is not limited to people in your class either. There are upper classmen who are quite successful, who I hang with when I have an opportunity. I pick their brains as much as possible. Too bad you take such umbrage to that suggestion.

I guess, according to you, when upper classmen made the same comments to us, you must of thought they were bashing their classmates too. Do you not remember the guy, who said that he studied all of the time? He said, if someone didn't tell him he was on an island, he wouldn't really know the difference? Or what about the upper classman who said that the time going to the clubs and bars can often be better used for sleep? These two upper classman also spoke in general about their classmates who didn't heed such advice. I guess they were bashing these classmates too?

That said, I am going to follow my own advice. This nonsense is not going to help me (or you for that matter, but it's your choice if you want to continue) on our Block 3 exams. I don't have time to deal with someone who clearly has a personal beef, but is too cowardly to bring to my face. Instead, they choose to hide in a message board.

Good luck with your Block 3 Exams and Shelf.

Who the hell you calling a coward? What personal beef? I have no idea who you are!! Tell me who you are and I will come up embarrass your ugly mug!!

Sebastien Guilbard
03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Dear Accepted Students.

Congrats on your admissions in St Matthew's.
Please refer to our website for information on Campus housing:
www.residencies.ky (http://www.residencies.ky)

See you soon in Cayman,

MiracleDoc
04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello all,
Accepted for May 2011 , From toronto, canada....graduated from university of Toronto....

Ari MD
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Hello Im Ari,

I also start May 2011,Im from New Orleans,LA. I graduated from Southern University Of New Orleans...

model1988
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Hello Im Ari,

I also start May 2011,Im from New Orleans,LA. I graduated from Southern University Of New Orleans...

Oh wow! My cousin just start law school last August at Southern University.

azulpanther
04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
lets get this thread back on track. This thread is about the may 2011 accepted class. Lets keep all posts relevant to the thread title. Any deviations could lead to receiving infractions.

A quick reminding, names are not allowed on valuemd. You may only use initials.

Ari MD
04-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh wow! My cousin just start law school last August at Southern University.

Cool,thats Southern University in Baton Rouge. I actually went there after I was displaced for hurricane katrina. My sorority sister just recently graduated from Southern University in Baton Rouge.

medstud13
04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I just finished my 4th semester here at SMU. The only advice that I have for you is don't listen to anybody except your teachers. Do not forget this advice. Do not ignore this advice. If you know why you are here, to become a doctor and nothing else, then you are in for a truly remarkable journey. If you listen to your teachers and no one else then you will work hard when it is time to work and feel a sense of true accomplishment after each exam. When it's time to play, this island is a blast! No matter what you like to do with your free time there is something here for everybody. You will have opportunities to make great new acquaintances, just remember they are not your new BFF. Many people here, and everywhere else for that matter, are just plain broken. You will here many negative things from those that can't hack it, don't let them bring you down to there level. As I have discovered, even T.A.'s and Student Govt. reps that seem legit turn out to be the most broken of all. Listen only to your teachers (their accents are not that bad) and you will have the best chance of succeeding here. Listen to anybody else, and you are rolling the dice. After a few semesters, those students that succeed begin to separate themselves from the heard and you will have a better idea of who is who but even then what your teachers tell you trumps everything else. We have a student in my class that fooled everyone for 4 semesters, he was a T.A. and a student govt. rep that turned out to be pure poison (there are other Valuemd threads dedicated to this so I will not elaborate further). This has been a fun and amazing experience for me and I hope that it will be for you too. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to steer you straight, but always remember Rule #1 - Listen to your teachers and no one else.

model1988
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I just finished my 4th semester here at SMU. The only advice that I have for you is don't listen to anybody except your teachers. Do not forget this advice. Do not ignore this advice. If you know why you are here, to become a doctor and nothing else, then you are in for a truly remarkable journey. If you listen to your teachers and no one else then you will work hard when it is time to work and feel a sense of true accomplishment after each exam. When it's time to play, this island is a blast! No matter what you like to do with your free time there is something here for everybody. You will have opportunities to make great new acquaintances, just remember they are not your new BFF. Many people here, and everywhere else for that matter, are just plain broken. You will here many negative things from those that can't hack it, don't let them bring you down to there level. As I have discovered, even T.A.'s and Student Govt. reps that seem legit turn out to be the most broken of all. Listen only to your teachers (their accents are not that bad) and you will have the best chance of succeeding here. Listen to anybody else, and you are rolling the dice. After a few semesters, those students that succeed begin to separate themselves from the heard and you will have a better idea of who is who but even then what your teachers tell you trumps everything else. We have a student in my class that fooled everyone for 4 semesters, he was a T.A. and a student govt. rep that turned out to be pure poison (there are other Valuemd threads dedicated to this so I will not elaborate further). This has been a fun and amazing experience for me and I hope that it will be for you too. Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to steer you straight, but always remember Rule #1 - Listen to your teachers and no one else.

Listen to this guy! He's telling the truth. And, I say that because I have a friend who starts his last semester at SMU this summer and he gave me the same advice. Which was "listen to your professors, if they tell you to study something then study what they tell you. nothing more and nothing less. And if they tell you to do something, then do it and you will succeed."

ssaj86
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey guys.. I was accepted for the May semester. Do we have a facebook group yet?

spoc
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Looking for a female roommate to share a room with another female student!! It is a 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment with full kitchen, living room, dining room and in unit laundry at Cayman Falls. Also, there is a pool and gym in the apartment complex. The rent is $550 CI (cable included in price) plus utilities (water, internet, electricity) which is around $150 CI. The apartment building is right next to SMU, a 2 min walk. A 5 min walk to the bank, grocery stores and restaurants. Ideal apartment location for a student. Very convenient. Saves money on transportation. Please message for more details!!!

raducf
05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
i was thinking about applying for january 2012. my pre req classes gpa is about a 2.8 and im taking my mcat in august. i have been working this past year as an anesthesia tech for the cardiac/transplant OR. How are my chances ?

Ari MD
05-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Welcome to St.Matthews,you have a great chance of getting in.

raducf
05-24-2011, 06:49 PM
really? how do you like it there?

X-smu.student
06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Please reconsider another medical school. Do not go to SMU. Speaking from past experiences smu is way too expensive if you add the cost of living, food, and traveling. AUA, SGU, and Ross have student loans. Please do not go to smu if you have to take davenport for funds.

EQUALITY
06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
St. matthews university is a fine educational institution that encompasses a medical school and vet school. It is approaching 14 years of prosperity. It is on a modern island. Not a third world island like grenada or dominica, and is closer to the states and SAFER than AUC. yes the other schools has federal loans, but they don't cover the full cost, and to be blunt other than rooss the other two schools are more competitive to obtain admission to than smu.

SMU tutition is lower than other schools, and the island is no more expensive than NYC, Los angeles, Dallas,Houston, or any major us city, because it offers all first world amenities, and that is why most parents are happy to send their children to smu. for years st. george had a parents group and still does that is worried about water shortages, violence, electricity outages, etc. it is a rough life going to grenada or dominica, and it is not necessary anylonger for one to suffer to get a medical education.

EQUALITY
06-26-2011, 07:19 PM
and the school is one of the few offshore schools that has ny approval, and florida approval. Keep in mind that the american university of antigua does not even have florida approval

medstud13
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Who are you Equality, a paid cheerleader?
Blatant lie #1: "a fine educational institution that encompasses a medical school and vet school. It is approaching 14 years of prosperity." What about the lies about pass rates and the several years it was closed when the owner stole all the money and the school had to leave Belize? If it's so great why is the last incoming class only 38 students?
Blatant lie #2: "the island is no more expensive than NYC, Los angeles, Dallas,Houston, or any major us city, because it offers all first world amenities" You obviously are smoking something or you pay way to much to live in any major city. This island is really expensive to begin with and a US$1 is only worth 82 cents here.

Please don't post such absurdities. I am in my 5th semester @ SMU and, honestly, I just hope the doors stay open long enough for me to finish.

medstud13
06-26-2011, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=EQUALITY;1388213]and the school is one of the few offshore schools that has ny approval, and florida approval. Keep in mind that the american university of antigua does not even have florida approval[/QUOTE
AUA just had California visit and will likely have 50 state approval by the end of the year. AUA is expecting 300 freshman this fall. Get your facts straight, people read this site for advice, not twisting of the facts.

vmd345
06-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with you completely medstud13 AUA would be a better choice. Cayman island is way too expensive considering there is no loans. I am currently a 4th semester student transferring out to AUA.

Angel-MD
08-05-2011, 12:03 PM
??????????????????????????????

RodeoSpinGirl
08-09-2011, 08:24 PM
DON'T DO IT! I just found out today that Georgia is now calling into question the accreditation of SMU and is currently not accepting any applicants for ANY residency. So if you plan on going back home... DITCH THIS RIDICULOUS SCHOOL!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.