PDA

View Full Version : Positive SMU News!

Banker794
10-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Well first let me start off by saying nearly everyone that I was friendly with in my class matched (08') into one of their top 3 choices.

Secondly, nearly everyone I have been in touch with have not felt in any way slighted b/c they graduated from SMU or the Carribbean.

Finally, (again attesting to the friends I have spoken with) whomever applied for a fellowship- was accepted into one!

Please share any other positive news (old and current students)

plasmodium14
10-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Going into practice with another doc this JULY !!!Had no problems during residency- was very well prepared by SMU for steps and residency

MD999
10-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I got offered for next year a staff physician position, with a GREAT salary and awesome call schedule, moving expenses, loan repayment, etc.... in INDIANA.

The contract was almost signed until their lawyer got a letter from the Indiana Medical Board telling them that SMU is NOT APPROVED in INDIANA and I could not get a license to practice.

Great, thanks SMU for trying SO HARD at getting your students (or clients) a solid career (sarcastic). They have millions of dollars and have pretty darn good attorneys, why not put them to use for your students in landing these lost states? Or would that eat up too much of your profit margin?

We can't get licensed in at least ten states or 20% of the country.

Honestly, lets just make this thread a "Did you have a problem getting a job because of SMU thread"

topoisomerase
10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Indiana uses the California regulations so that is why you were out of luck. Do not apply to states that use the California list.

tampanian
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I got offered for next year a staff physician position, with a GREAT salary and awesome call schedule, moving expenses, loan repayment, etc.... in INDIANA.

The contract was almost signed until their lawyer got a letter from the Indiana Medical Board telling them that SMU is NOT APPROVED in INDIANA and I could not get a license to practice.

Great, thanks SMU for trying SO HARD at getting your students (or clients) a solid career (sarcastic). They have millions of dollars and have pretty darn good attorneys, why not put them to use for your students in landing these lost states? Or would that eat up too much of your profit margin?

Honestly, lets just make this thread a "Did you have a problem getting a job because of SMU thread"
2 things:

first, I agree that smu could be much more proactive than they have been in the past regarding state approval. for example, they went to the indiana board to ďaskĒ for reconsideration of smuís status only to be rather concisely told by the board that things would stay the way they are (according to the minutes). what smu should consider doing is what aua did in mississippiÖstick the board members names on a lawsuit and see just how committed they are to that stance. the mississippi members state that the suit (that has since been dropped as I understand) had nothing to do with their idea to abandon the list, but I think otherwise as the last thing those members want is to have to have their individual names plastered on a lawsuit, regardless of how strong it is against them. one significant downside however that smu has to contend with that other schools such as aua do not is that smu was disapproved by cali, something that any board can easily point to as a reason to disapprove, and although that one day may not hold up as strongly, today itís doing a pretty good job thwarting schools like smu from making stronger plays for state approvals. not being disapproved means that aua can say theyíve never been assessed for quality and hence the true quality of their program is unknown, just as many of the other foreign schools that have graduates practicing there. thatís leverage that smu doesnít have.

second, i realize that this is very disappointing to you, as it is to all of us, but please donít act as if this is in any way a surprise. that decision by Indiana was initially made way back in 2002 and has been brought up on these forums many, many times over the years. weíve all known about that for a looong time. iím not exactly sure what you were thinking having papers drawn up and being so close to signing without first considering if it was one of the handful of states that was almost certainly going to give you problems. the only real suggestion i can make is for you to become licensed in another state, practice a few years, become (if you arenít already) board certified, and then make a play for Indiana if thatís what you really want. yes, there are some states that are going to outright deny you then too, but itís a big country and by then youíre bound to find something even better elsewhere.

Trillium
10-29-2010, 07:14 AM

Did you honestly not know that as a graduate from SMU, you weren't eligible in some states? Potential Carib students should make sure to research schools, they are not the same. There are only a handful that have 50 state approval: SGU, Ross, AUC and SABA.

Is it really 20%, or just Cali states?

devildoc8404
10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
While I sympathize with this situation (losing out on a great gig in Indiana), it does strike me as strange that this wasn't something that was understood and dealt with long before a lawyer became involved. Indiana is out for grads of non-CA-approved schools, (including my own, which is not SMU), and that can't come as a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention to this rather important detail.

There has been some fluctuation in the list of states that follow the CA list, and some states are more flexible for later licensing than others, even if they follow the CA list initially. Others (like Indiana, apparently) are not. The take home lesson here, of course, is to your homework in advance, and avoid this sad situation! That goes for grads of any school that is not on the CA-approved list, not just SMU.

I don't know that the current number is 20%, but it's probably around that number (+/- 10 states?).

FWIW, I certainly hope that md999 finds another position that is even better than the one s/he lost in Indiana. Good luck!

sotto87
11-01-2010, 08:04 AM
great info thanks everyone!:)

Banker794
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
A former SMU student- just got word she was accepted into Heme/Onc Fellowship in a university program in NYC

MD999
11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Regarding Indiana, for some reason I thought it was a state that required "ten years of operation of the medical school" for the students to become eligible for licensure. This was what the Clinical Dean in 2006 told us at the time. I think he said Kansas was too. Anyways, SMU should be actively lobbying these "lost states" and if it means litigation, then they should do it too. They have the money and the students should be demanding it.So Banker you can post "good news" about SMU grads, which there is a lot of undoubtedly. But I think a concerted focus on pressuring the school to help us secure our future employment odds would be better at this time.

Junito
12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
w
Regarding Indiana, for some reason I thought it was a state that required "ten years of operation of the medical school" for the students to become eligible for licensure. This was what the Clinical Dean in 2006 told us at the time. I think he said Kansas was too. Anyways, SMU should be actively lobbying these "lost states" and if it means litigation, then they should do it too. They have the money and the students should be demanding it.So Banker you can post "good news" about SMU grads, which there is a lot of undoubtedly. But I think a concerted focus on pressuring the school to help us secure our future employment odds would be better at this time.

SMU was placed in the disapproved list by Indiana before the Cali visit. This was due to the issue that arose in Belize. Then the school, or better yet a grad from the school tried to lobby the Indiana med board to reconsider their decision...they did, they started to follow the California list.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.