PDA

View Full Version : Charles U. Medical Graduates in US

nillyaway
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I've tried to find some info on how successful Charles grads were able to match into US residency but couldn't really find any info. Does anybody know of a way to find out? Since Charles U. cater to European students rather than North American students in regard to studying for USMLE.

shrey
09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, there is no way to find out that sort of info. as the university doesn't keep record of where it's graduates are working. And yes, Charles Uni. mainly caters to students from European countries as well as other countries (Asian, African, South American etc.)

One does have to study for MLEs by him-/her-self and that takes a lot of personal effort and commitment. Perhaps attending a Caribbean school or Sackler School of Medicine in Israel or Weil Cornell School (somewhere in the Middle East) would be better choices.

pruritis_ani
10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I graduated Charles (first faculty), completed my residency in Virginia (ob/gyn, pre match offer, had about 15 interviews in good ob/gyn programs) and am now working and fully licensed in California.

Loved Prague, would do it all again if I could. Did I have extra stress? Yep. Was it difficult? Yep. Risky? Yep. But, it worked out perfectly for me.

Now, would I recommend it? Not if you can get into a US M.D or D.O school. Not if you are not prepared for the reality that you may get a primary care residency, or even not get a residency. But, if you are a go getter, and do well in classes and the USMLEs, are anal retentive and pay attention to all details, you will prob at least get a FP residency somewhere, and there is a fair possibility that you could achieve your dreams.

Good luck

amal93
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Sorry,i just have a question.does every student need to do the MCAT or tests similar to that to practice medicine in the US..after you graduate from Charles university 1st Faculty.

shrey
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Yes, you do need to take the USMLE Steps in order to practice medicine in the US, or more accurately, you need to take and pass the 1st 2 steps in order to obtain a residency in the US.

The MCAT is a requirement for getting into an US medical school, not to practice medicine in the US.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.