PDA

View Full Version : January 2011 Basic Science

AlphaCarbon
09-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Just received an acceptance for the Jan. 2011 semester - anyone else joining the island then?

I'm from Alberta, Canada - 24 years old, BA in Econ and BSc Chem. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

ssaj86
09-19-2010, 09:27 PM
accepted! i'm 24, from new york.. biomedical science major. congratulations! i'm looking forward to meeting everyone! : )

MDhopes
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll be joining SMU in january 2011. 27 years old finance major from Florida. Looking forward to see you guys there. Gluck!

MDs2Be
09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Wife and I will be joining SMU in January 2011. We are from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and both have a BSc in Zoology. Congrats to all!!!

MDhopes
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I wonder how big are class will be, I'm assuming like a 100...:rolleyes:

MDhopes
09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
For those who are coming alone and rooming in a double room, have you guys got your room assignments with your roommates info yet? I know its still early, but just wondering.

AlphaCarbon
09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Congrats everyone! Hopefully we can get a facebook group going as Jan approaches...

I'm going to bring my fiance to the island (wedding date is in August 2011, so we'll get married during the break between Semesters 2 and 3) - We're going to fly to the Grand Cayman in mid-Oct to ensure that her work permit and Visa are both processed.

MDhopes
09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
congrats alpha!

In order to get the work permit does your fiance have to secure employment beforehand?

ssaj86
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
agreed, someone should start a fb group for the entering class.. does anyone know where i can find a list of textbooks, i heard it's easier to bring them rather than have them shipped

AlphaCarbon
09-21-2010, 12:50 AM
MD, from what I've heard (from the immigration clerk at the school and in my online reading), my fiance will have to secure a job opportunity before she can get a work permit -- additionally, she may not be allowed on the island while the work permit is being processed, so this is why we're going to visit in October... if we can get a job offer for her then, we can fly back home and have the work permit processed before Jan.

I'm excited for us all to become physicians... ;)

MDhopes
09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Alpha--

Thats what I assumed but thanks for the information. Good Luck to you and your fiance.

And we got a longgggg ways to go before becoming docs, but I'm excited as well to hurry up and get started with the first step.

sabajan11
09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
i'm in~!
im from vancouver~ did my undergrad @ University of Toronto
c u all in few months! so excited!!!

Dr Rich
09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Everybody is welcome! A friend phoned Orlando, talked for a while with guys there and made clear he had a mental problem of those that should raise flags...and also mentioned he had the money. Guess what? He could be with you guys! But it was just a college prank :rolleyes:

ajamu
09-29-2010, 04:10 PM
MD, from what I've heard (from the immigration clerk at the school and in my online reading), my fiance will have to secure a job opportunity before she can get a work permit -- additionally, she may not be allowed on the island while the work permit is being processed, so this is why we're going to visit in October... if we can get a job offer for her then, we can fly back home and have the work permit processed before Jan.

I'm excited for us all to become physicians... ;)

Excited for you too...But you jus' might wanna get thru Anatomoy and especially HISTOLOGY first.

ABICREW
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
what are your guys stats?
thanks in advance

sotto87
10-10-2010, 08:20 AM
23 from new york, cant wait to meet all of you in january! congrats!:)

ssaj86
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey, I just wanted to know how you guys are paying the tuition/extra expenses - I'm trying to get a loan, but am having a tough time, any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated.

YSC
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello! I was just accepted to SMU for the January 2011 semester. Did any of you guys go through non-certified loans (the type, the lender gives the student the money rather than the school)?!?!?!?!? if so, what companies did you go through?!?! Please help!!!

Sebastien Guilbard
10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Hello All,

congrats on your acceptance at SMU. If you have any questions on housing, please let me know.

Thank you and see you soon in Cayman

bnaj88
10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Hello All,

congrats on your acceptance at SMU. If you have any questions on housing, please let me know.

Thank you and see you soon in Cayman

I will be attending SMU in Jan 2011.
@ Sebastian. do the rooms in RH have a fridge and microwave in them?

Sebastien Guilbard
10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes they do, 10Cu fridge with freezer compartment and regular microwave.

chr1stine
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
hey guys....how are you paying tuition?!?!?! im transferring into 3rd term and i honestly have no idea how to get loans....any help would be appreciated!

Dr_Pamela
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm also headed to SMU in Jan 2011. I can't wait! See you all there.

thatsit
12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Sebastian,

Hope you are keeping well. Was just wondering if it would be possible to please have some pics of the rooms as it is presently please? I know there are some pics from the island but seems to be dated year 2004. Would you also mind explaining the difference between the RH and RS .... is a studio shared among 2 as well ?

Hope this is not too much bother
Many thanks
Thatsit

LifeMD10
12-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Residence Suites has better accomodations than Residence Halls. You have a kitchen in your living (although no oven) in your living space in RS as opposed to going outside to a shared kitchen in RH. In RH if you are rooming with another person you will be sharing the same space. In RS you have your own rooms. They are both relatively the same distance from school, but on opposite ends.

I'd recommend RS, it costs a bit more but its worth it

SMUchat!
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
SMUchat! - www(dot)smuchat(dot)com

doctaaa
02-24-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm also headed to SMU in Jan 2011. I can't wait! See you all there.

i'm in~!
im from vancouver~ did my undergrad @ University of Toronto
c u all in few months! so excited!!!

Excited for you too...But you jus' might wanna get thru Anatomoy and especially HISTOLOGY first.

23 from new york, cant wait to meet all of you in january! congrats!:)

Hello! I was just accepted to SMU for the January 2011 semester. Did any of you guys go through non-certified loans (the type, the lender gives the student the money rather than the school)?!?!?!?!? if so, what companies did you go through?!?! Please help!!!

Just received an acceptance for the Jan. 2011 semester - anyone else joining the island then?

I'm from Alberta, Canada - 24 years old, BA in Econ and BSc Chem. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

accepted! i'm 24, from new york.. biomedical science major. congratulations! i'm looking forward to meeting everyone! : )

I'll be joining SMU in january 2011. 27 years old finance major from Florida. Looking forward to see you guys there. Gluck!

Wife and I will be joining SMU in January 2011. We are from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and both have a BSc in Zoology. Congrats to all!!!

Hey guys...hope your first semester is going great! Any tips/advice/updates for some of us who are coming there in May?

Good luck with everything!

JohnI
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey guys...hope your first semester is going great! Any tips/advice/updates for some of us who are coming there in May?

Good luck with everything!

Sure... go somewhere else...

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.