PDA

View Full Version : This school sounds really good, I'm still deciding if I should apply

cutelilMD
09-11-2010, 10:34 PM
St. matthews have great clinical rotations in New York and a loan system through davenport university. However due to the cali disapproval list, SMU is only allowed in 35 states. This is a red flag because other schools such as IAU allows students to practice in 45+ schools. So I'm jsut wondering is this school worth applying to????

note: All I want to do is to go to the caribbeans for two years and go to new york for my remaining two year rotations and then do recidency in new york. After residency be able to practice in New York. I really want to know, with St. matthews would I be able to do that??

diabeticmedic
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
1. You can practice in NY.
2. It is possible to do all rotations in NY, but not guaranteed (you might have long waits in between rotations).
3. There is no loan program through Davenport. Davenport is a separate school which is eligible for title 4 loans and people take an MBA program and use the Davenport money to pay for SMU, but it is not enough to cover all tuition/travel/living expenses. If you need loans, do not consider SMU, only consider SGU/Ross/AUC/Hope (Hope is in Poland, but you are guaranteed back to back rotations at Wyckoff Heights in Brooklyn). The other 3 schools I mentioned are approved in all 50 states and are eligible for title 4 loans.

If you cannot apply to Ross/SGU/AUC/Hope because your grades are not up to par, my advice is to take some classes at a county college and get your GPA up. Any of the other schools are difficult to pay for. Good luck.

YooMD
10-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I thought Hope isnt a school?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.