PDA

View Full Version : My story. I need advice on getting prepared for, and getting accepted

Giantfan
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't want any comments judging my capabilities or recommending me to attempt to get an undergrad degree, and try to go to a US medical school.

Here's the basics of my situation:

I left high school early. Not due to academic reasons, but my grades weren't great. I have a GED.

After this I went to community college. I have 34 credits averaging probably a 2.0 GPA. I took no science or math courses.

My school experiences weren't good. I was capable, but had a lot of things going on in my life, and at that time, school just wasn't important to me. More details to this obviously, but they're unimportant. The fact is, this is my record now, and I have to work with it.

After community college, I joined the military. Now I am finished with the military.

I love medicine etc. I spend a lot of my free time on the internet reading and researching all things medicine, for my own enjoyment. I never get tired of it. I also understand what I am reading. If I don't understand, I figure it out.

I am a very different person today than I was then. Combining my new self, and my interests in medicine, I am pretty sure I can succeed if given the opportunity.

Now, know I do not have the admissions requirements to get into any medical school, however, I know I am capable of going to medical school.

I would like to know, or have you recommend, what a person like myself should do in this situation in order to get prepared for and accepted into medical school.

I am mainly interested in Polish medical schools for now. I am a US citizen but live in Europe.

Now I have many options: I can go back to the US and take prerequisite courses. However, because I would most likely be doing a 6 year program, I am wondering how many of these courses I would need to take in order to demonstrate my capabilities to the Polish schools for acceptance etc. I want to do as few classes as possible obviously.

The other option I am considering, is buying a bunch of books, and teaching myself all the basic sciences+math etc, and then going to Ireland and taking their Leaving Cert exam. I would like to go to school in Ireland if possible, however I don't know if I qualify for their EU tuition rates, and if not, then I cannot afford the prices. Poland is affordable for me.

However, because the Irish Leaving cert is recognized in the EU, I suppose I could apply to Polish schools using the Leaving Cert results, and this could help me get accepted into Polish medical school without having to go back to the US and take prerequisite courses. This would save me a lot of time and money.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I would like to be able to practice in Europe or the US. I've done quite a bit of research on this. I would prefer to go to a school that is covered in all 50 states, but at the same time, I will take what I can get if I don't have those schools available to me.

Anyway, you may read this and think I'm nuts etc. Yes, my record is terrible, but it's not an accurate representation of who I am or what I can do. So, I would appreciate some in depth help/opinions. Thank you

robarino
09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey Giantfan!

A 2.0 is not a good start that is for sure. And that is not being discouraging. I believe you have a chance but I wonder what country you are living in. I live in Sweden and at 33 I went back and got a BSc. I am just finishing now and I plan on applying to med school.

If you have EU residency I suggest sucking it up and going back to school and getting a relevant degree...or:

You could take the online courses (with labs) through the University of New England. It is gonna cost you around 15k but you can get stafford loans. Then you could apply to a 6 year programs. Depending on the school you apply to and their requirements. Otherwise get a BSc and kick *** in it. US med schools are out of the question but there are plenty of options in Europe.

I was in the same boat as you. I went to a state school, took 40 credits and left with a 1.6. I went back to school a few years later and kicked *** while working 80 hours a week and left a tier 1 school with BA and a 3.3 GPA. I then went and got a mechanical engineering degree and currently have a 3.6 GPA in a tough European program. It can be done.

bidiboom
09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes it can be done robarino :)

And Giantfan, I dont think you're nuts at all, contrarily you are.. never mind my description.. the important point is that you are looking for something doable very well.. only you need to work.. and work hard..

I have had problems with my secondary education as well.. but later I studied and took SAT Math1&2.. now I am preparing for SAT Chem, Bio and Phys.. eventually you can do it.. you only need some good books and will.. but in any case you will need high school graduation for EU med schools, but because I dont know your system, I cant say a word about how to do it..

As for the necessary courses, you definitely need Bio, Chem, Phys, and if possible some math would be good.. but the sine qua non courses are Bio and Chem.. and Phys.. they are necessary for one reason: you establish all advanced courses in med school over them! if you dont know cell, animal systems or surface tension, molecular interactions etc., you will not be able to understand what the book/prof tells.. you cant proceed without them man..

edit : Warsaw med school doesnt require entrance exam for IB or EB owners.. for other high school graduates there is entrance exam.

axiomofchoice
09-17-2011, 12:55 PM

swathir
09-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Your determination is awesome and I'm sure you'll get in. You might need to give your applications an extra push with some strong references and I strongly recommend calling the administration of the unis/agents you're applying through/to and explaining your situation. :)

GThomp
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
What was your MOS in the military? What branch were you in? For all you non-Americans, the US pays for college of military personnel with provisions under the GI bill. I really don't understand why you do not get a bachelors for free and apply to med school in Europe if thats your thing. I have no clue whether or not the GI bill covers foreign schools, but something you posted just does not make sense. Did you get a dishonorable discharge or a BCD? If you were a corpsman or a medic of some sort, you could stand a very good chance of getting into med school anywhere. If i were you i'd go get a free bachelors and then worry about med school... Just my two cents.

devildoc8404
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
giantfan, I would recommend that you complete a 6-year program in Europe. I really do think that this is an underutilized option for prior-enlisted US military members who have matured and grown during their period of service, but may not have the academic background for (or want to invest the better part of a decade in application to) a US medical school.

I have a friend who has a GED and is attending medical school in Poland, so it's not out of the question. Talk with the agencies for these schools and see what they can tell you.

The GI Bill can absolutely be used for foreign schools, as long as the university program is approved. Check on the GI Bill website and see if any of the medical schools you are considering are approved. (Note that it can be a huge pain -- sometimes insurmountable -- to get approval for a school, especially in E-Eu and especially for medical schools, because it is almost impossible to get the administration to complete the paperwork). If any of them are approved, then by golly, make those your target schools.

Remember that the Irish schools are also approved for US financial aid, and some of them may be approved for GI Bill, as well. Worth checking. Good luck!

devildoc8404
12-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Out of curiosity, I checked the GI Bill website. You can use your benefits at the following schools (not an exhaustive list, but I picked ones that seemed relevant). You would still need to check with the VA to see what degrees are eligible at each of the universities.:

Poland:
JAGIELLONIAN UNIVERSITY
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF BIALYSTOK
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF GDANSK
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF LUBLIN
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF SILESIA
MEDICAL UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW
POZNAN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
Hungary:
SEMMELWEIS UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE
UNIVERSITY OF PECS
Czech Republic:
CHARLES UNIVERSITY (It doesn't specify which faculty...)
Ireland/Northern Ireland:
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND, GALWAY
ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE CORK
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN
TRINITY COLLEGE - DUBLIN
UNIVERSITY OF LIMERICK
QUEENS UNIVERSITY - BELFAST (NI)
Malta:
UNIVERSITY OF MALTA
Scotland:
UNIVERSITY OF ABERDEEN
UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW
UNIVERSITY OF ST ANDREWS
England:
A whole passel of schools.

The only drawback I could see would be that the medical program would run 5-6 years, and you may not have enough GI Bill benefits to cover the entire program. However, if you had student loan availability for the rest then it would not be a huge deal.

(Good heavens, I wish I had known about this when I was applying.)

bidiboom
12-06-2011, 05:34 AM
(Good heavens, I wish I had known about this when I was applying.)

Ayyy, even I wished that now :(

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.