PDA

View Full Version : Entrance exam and high school?

AbderRahman
08-27-2010, 07:27 AM
In entering Medical school in Hungary, is the MOST important what you achieve in the entrance exam, or your high school grades are taken into considertion also?

Thanks.

bronzmajom
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
In entering Medical school in Hungary, is the MOST important what you achieve in the entrance exam, or your high school grades are taken into considertion also?

Thanks.

I applied after having completed undergraduate college so they didn't even ask for my high school transcripts. And they exempted me from the entrance exam based on the college courses I've taken and my grades, so my guess is that grades and the classes you've taken prior to applying are one of the most important factors.

AbderRahman
08-30-2010, 05:49 AM
I applied after having completed undergraduate college so they didn't even ask for my high school transcripts. And they exempted me from the entrance exam based on the college courses I've taken and my grades, so my guess is that grades and the classes you've taken prior to applying are one of the most important factors.

Thanks bronzmajom for your reply. May I ask what was your undergraduate degree in?

brusmani
08-30-2010, 12:54 PM
They don't care about your grades,just your entrance exam.They won't even look at your grades,they just need to make sure you finished your high school and that's all.

AbderRahman
08-30-2010, 01:54 PM
They don't care about your grades,just your entrance exam.They won't even look at your grades,they just need to make sure you finished your high school and that's all.

Thanks for your reply. Based on your knowledge, what is the minimum grade in the entrance exam to be considered in Medical school in Hungary.

brusmani
08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
It's more based on competitiveness than scoring itself.I don't think there's a minimum score...I know in Czech Republic it's 60 or something(Prague),but if there are less students than the capacity of the school to accept students,You're accepeted anyway.I don't think there's a minimum score in Hungary.People usually find much easier to get into a Hungarian medical school than into a Czech school.The course seems to be much harder though,also,the drop out rate is higher(because the course is harder maybe?)
Having said this,apply as soon as You can and take the exam as early as possible.

AbderRahman
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
It's more based on competitiveness than scoring itself.I don't think there's a minimum score...I know in Czech Republic it's 60 or something(Prague),but if there are less students than the capacity of the school to accept students,You're accepeted anyway.I don't think there's a minimum score in Hungary.People usually find much easier to get into a Hungarian medical school than into a Czech school.The course seems to be much harder though,also,the drop out rate is higher(because the course is harder maybe?)

Do you mean the course is harder and the drop out rate is higher in Hungary?

brusmani
08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Exactly.The course is harder.If You take a look at their syllabus You'll see there are some odd subjects You won't find in any medical school.Hungarian universities are very old and traditional.Maybe they need a renovation who knows???Anyaway,in the past,Hungary was famous around Europe for "producing" good doctors.They usually exported doctors to Austria,Germany,France,Switzerland...
The drop out rate is high...I think it's the highest in eastern Europe in general.I don't know if this is due to the structure of the course,oral exams,hard subjects,self-teaching,etc...or if it's due to other factors such as not being prepared to commit,different culture,etc...

AbderRahman
08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Exactly.The course is harder.If You take a look at their syllabus You'll see there are some odd subjects You won't find in any medical school.Hungarian universities are very old and traditional.Maybe they need a renovation who knows???Anyaway,in the past,Hungary was famous around Europe for "producing" good doctors.They usually exported doctors to Austria,Germany,France,Switzerland...
The drop out rate is high...I think it's the highest in eastern Europe in general.I don't know if this is due to the structure of the course,oral exams,hard subjects,self-teaching,etc...or if it's due to other factors such as not being prepared to commit,different culture,etc...

You mentioned: Anyaway,in the past,Hungary was famous around Europe for "producing" good doctors.They usually exported doctors to Austria,Germany,France,Switzerland...

Do you think it is also the case now? Does the Hungarian Medical school have reputation in the world? Do you recommend studying Medicine in Hungary?

brusmani
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Hungary became a communist country and their economy shrank after the cold war.For sure they struggled a lot for a while,but knowledge never dies.Now Hungary is part of of the EU,which is a great thing.Although some people criticize Hungary,I still think it's a great country to study medicine.Their programme is recognized in many countries where only certain UK universities are.I'd recommend to study in Hungary.I personally prefer the Czech republic because the country is better and the universities are better ranked,but I assume that in Hungary they have more subjects and maybe more hours of study.Many nobelists in the past were from Hungary.In eastern Europe,I'd go to CZ or Hungary.

african_child
08-30-2010, 05:01 PM

IMHO and from my experiences, the brazen & non-rigorous admission process which admits anyone who has a little more than the means to pay tuition fees is admitted is the MAJOR reason for the high attrition rate. Compared to Western Europe and other reputable medical schools, the admission process into the English programme in HU medical schools is a joke. :(

To Abderrahman,
I see that you have lots of questions! My advice is that if you are financially buoyant (and especially if you live in Europe), pay a visit to Hungary and the 4 medical schools to interview students unsupervised and get a feeling if you belong here. Surely you can do that for a place you're thinking of spending 6 years of your life, won't you?

POTE15
10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Well i had a different experience....i finished my high school which is an O'level by university of London...there was a selection at my time b/c they had a high application rate....now if u r a Scandinavian most of which i know are sent by their government to avoid the long waiting list in their perspective countries and they are actually paid by their governments a monthly fee till they graduate.Yes they have a waiting list even in Holland they have a different strange admission way.,so it all depends where u come from....Don't forget the Hungarians even during communism where the factory for good drs...now they are accepting different nationalities to expand their graduates pool just like all developed countries!!by the way i'm not Hungarian but i thought i should express my own experience.

POTE15
10-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Well i had a different experience....i finished my high school which is an O'level by university of London...there was a selection at my time b/c they had a high application rate....now if u r a Scandinavian most of which i know are sent by their government to avoid the long waiting list in their perspective countries, and they are actually paid by their governments a monthly pocket money till they graduate.Yes they have a waiting list, and in Holland they have a different strange admission way,so it all depends where u come from....Don't forget the Hungarians even during communism where the factory for good drs...now they are accepting different nationalities to expand their graduates pool just like all developed countries!!by the way i'm not Hungarian but i thought i should express my own experience.

POTE15
10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Well i had a different experience....i finished my high school which is an O'level by university of London...there was a selection at my time b/c they had a high application rate....now if u r a Scandinavian most of which i know are sent by their government to avoid the long waiting list in their perspective countries, and they are actually paid by their governments a monthly pocket money till they graduate.Yes they have a waiting list, and in Holland they have a different strange admission way,so it all depends where u come from....Don't forget the Hungarians even during communism where the factory for good drs...now they are accepting different nationalities to expand their graduates pool just like all developed countries!!by the way i'm not Hungarian but i thought i should express my own experience.

little_red_riding_hood
12-14-2010, 03:55 AM

hello, i want to apply to debrecen this march. i read that you were accepted with only your O level qualification, may i ask if you were accepted into first year or bmc? because i'm considering not doing A level so I wonder where my O level certificate can take me. pls answer me :D

african_child
12-15-2010, 03:30 AM
hello, i want to apply to debrecen this march. i read that you were accepted with only your O level qualification, may i ask if you were accepted into first year or bmc? because i'm considering not doing A level so I wonder where my O level certificate can take me. pls answer me :D

Hi little,
Yes, I know your question isn't directed at me. But you should know that POTE15 is already a doctor now and probably will take some time before s/he replies to your question out of his/her very busy schedule.
In the meantime, I took the liberty of attempting to answer your question especially since it pertains to Debrecen Medical School.
Yes, your O'level results can get you admitted into 1st year directly provided you obtain good scores in the entrance exams. Recently, admission into Debrecen has become quite competitive. Many more students are applying to this school. Accordingly, they have started somewhat of a stricter (by HU standard, that is!) admission control. Don't be scared by the word "stricter" though as admission procedures into HU med. schools are still laughable compared to Western Europe.
Put in your best in the entrance exams and I can assure you you'll get admitted into the 1st year directly.
However, in the event that you got admitted into BMC (which is unlikely if you prepare well for your entrance exams), please don't be deterred. BMC in itself has a few advantages if finances are not a problem and you don't mind adding an extra year to your medical studies:

1. BMC is a time for adapting to the new environment you find yourself. Since it is not as rigorous as 1st year, you will have some time on your hand to familiarise yourself with the in-and-outs of the university.
2. BMC is a great time to mingle with many people, make friends and devote some time to learning Hungarian language. Believe me, this last point is a very important point. Learning Hungarian (I don't mean MASTERING the language) will make your stay here a LOT easier, to say the least. But most importantly, you will be able to enjoy the clinicals and learn more stuffs than other students who don't speak Hungarian. It provides you with lots of advantages.
To buttress my point, I have a good friend from Iceland who did BMC. He used that time to learn Hungarian as much as he could. Now during the hospital rounds, he stands out amongst us. He is able to communicate with the patients without consulting his guide book (which is in both HU and English). While the rest of us are scrambling to look up words, he would already have written his patient history and waiting for us. Or if we ask, he tells us what the patient meant to say in English.
In summary, good grades in the entrance exams will take you to 1st year. However, BMC can also be a viable option. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, don't let BMC change your mind should you get it.
Good luck :)

bitebullet1
12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi little,
Yes, I know your question isn't directed at me. But you should know that POTE15 is already a doctor now and probably will take some time before s/he replies to your question out of his/her very busy schedule.
In the meantime, I took the liberty of attempting to answer your question especially since it pertains to Debrecen Medical School.
Yes, your O'level results can get you admitted into 1st year directly provided you obtain good scores in the entrance exams. Recently, admission into Debrecen has become quite competitive. Many more students are applying to this school. Accordingly, they have started somewhat of a stricter (by HU standard, that is!) admission control. Don't be scared by the word "stricter" though as admission procedures into HU med. schools are still laughable compared to Western Europe.
Put in your best in the entrance exams and I can assure you you'll get admitted into the 1st year directly.
However, in the event that you got admitted into BMC (which is unlikely if you prepare well for your entrance exams), please don't be deterred. BMC in itself has a few advantages if finances are not a problem and you don't mind adding an extra year to your medical studies:

1. BMC is a time for adapting to the new environment you find yourself. Since it is not as rigorous as 1st year, you will have some time on your hand to familiarise yourself with the in-and-outs of the university.
2. BMC is a great time to mingle with many people, make friends and devote some time to learning Hungarian language. Believe me, this last point is a very important point. Learning Hungarian (I don't mean MASTERING the language) will make your stay here a LOT easier, to say the least. But most importantly, you will be able to enjoy the clinicals and learn more stuffs than other students who don't speak Hungarian. It provides you with lots of advantages.
To buttress my point, I have a good friend from Iceland who did BMC. He used that time to learn Hungarian as much as he could. Now during the hospital rounds, he stands out amongst us. He is able to communicate with the patients without consulting his guide book (which is in both HU and English). While the rest of us are scrambling to look up words, he would already have written his patient history and waiting for us. Or if we ask, he tells us what the patient meant to say in English.
In summary, good grades in the entrance exams will take you to 1st year. However, BMC can also be a viable option. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, don't let BMC change your mind should you get it.

Hi african child,
Would u mind telling us a bit about your clinical experience thus far in hungary?Is it poor or are u satisfied wit it??Will u do blocks abroad and if so,how many weeks??
Thanks

POTE15
12-25-2010, 05:21 AM
African child...don't be fooled by what is happening in western europe i have a cousin who got accepted to london school of medicine with far worse grades than i was accepted with in POTE i was accepted with an O'level of 2A,1A*,2Bs.....however if u are a foreigner going to London or west europe then the bar is increased....its that simple

POTE15
12-25-2010, 05:38 AM
IMHO and from my experiences, the brazen & non-rigorous admission process which admits anyone who has a little more than the means to pay tuition fees is admitted is the MAJOR reason for the high attrition rate. Compared to Western Europe and other reputable medical schools, the admission process into the English programme in HU medical schools is a joke. :(

To Abderrahman,
I see that you have lots of questions! My advice is that if you are financially buoyant (and especially if you live in Europe), pay a visit to Hungary and the 4 medical schools to interview students unsupervised and get a feeling if you belong here. Surely you can do that for a place you're thinking of spending 6 years of your life, won't you?

African child...don't be fooled by what is happening in western europe i have a cousin who got accepted to london school of medicine with far worse grades than i was accepted with in POTE i was accepted with an O'level of 2A,1A*,2Bs.....however if u are a foreigner going to London or west europe then the bar is increased....its that simple

little_red_riding_hood
01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi little,

Hi african child :D
thank you for your reply, i'm so sorry i couldn't write back sooner. But can i ask another question? does your country has A level? because mine has and they use the A level results to place me in uni. I finished my O level 2 years ago. That's why i'm so confused as to which one should be considered as the high school diploma.

little_red_riding_hood
01-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Hi POTE :D
I read that your cousin was accepted into London School of Medicine with your O level grades. Didn't they ask for A level? because i thought that the A level is the entry requirement for universities in England.

african_child
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi african child :D
thank you for your reply, i'm so sorry i couldn't write back sooner. But can i ask another question? does your country has A level? because mine has and they use the A level results to place me in uni. I finished my O level 2 years ago. That's why i'm so confused as to which one should be considered as the high school diploma.

Except if the requirements have been changed (which I doubt so), results of 'O' levels is enough to be considered for admission into the 1st year.
However, I would highly encourage you to confirm this with the education office (Debrecen is notorious for changing rules overnight w/out prior notice!)
Trust me, your 'O' levels will be more than sufficient if consideration is your major concern.
Again, if you live in Europe I would HIGHLY recommend you pay the school a visit prior to committing. Recently, a handful of students do that.
Good luck! :)

Andrc
02-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello!

Is it often to get an exemption from entrance exam at the faculty of Semmweill, Pecs and Szegeg for people who already have a Master in Health Ciences like Podiatry Surgery? I was informed that the process is analyzed independently in each university. Could anyone tell me in which one is more usual to get this exemption?

Thanks in advance for the support.

Best regards.

Andrc
02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello!

Is it often to get an exemption from entrance exam at the faculty of Semmweill, Pecs and Szegeg for people who already have a Master in Health Ciences like Podiatry Surgery? I was informed that the process is analyzed independently in each university. Could anyone tell me in which one is more usual to get this exemption?

Thanks in advance for the support.

Best regards.

brb
09-11-2012, 03:23 AM
what about premed year? do they care?

brb
09-11-2012, 03:25 AM
is there even a grading system for premed year?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.