PDA

View Full Version : Does Saba except transfer students?

curious_george_2010
08-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Is there any chance of a transfer to Saba for the clinicals in US?
:Thinkingof_:
Thanks

seattle
08-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I passed my step 1 with 221. But my GPA is 2.8. I am in a med school, in Asia(China, I am of Chinese heritage). I am a US citizen. Is there any chance of a transfer to Saba for the clinicals in US?
:Thinkingof_:
Thanks

Technically yes as I have seen this done in the past (very rare though). Contact the Dean of Clinical Sciences directly to explain the situation and it is up to them based on your explanation as to why this course of action.

sgMD
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
you mean 'accept' ?

curious_george_2010
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks Seattle.:D
sgMD, if you are asking me, yes I meant, if I could be accepted to the Clinicals in the US,with my avergae score and low GPA.
Thanks

bigz
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
you mean 'accept' ?

No "Except" dude/gal has been living in China can you let a little mishap go.

classic
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
In my travels over the last 3 years I've actually met 3 students/residents that have transferred. One of them transferred during her 3rd year as a student and is finishing her residency this year in Mississippi. It's much easier to do it before you start clinicals though.

buddababa
09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I work for saba admin, and i say sorry your gpa is too low

houmd
09-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I work for saba admin, and i say sorry your gpa is too low

you're not registered as a school official....

spouse10
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi all, My wife has just dismiss from ROSS in her 3rd semister. She got all A's in 2nd in 3rd 2-A's ,2-B's and Pharm got 59..where passing was 60..She said Ross Made mistakes in calculation....I saw her grade 1&2 mini=79*2 (20%) 3mini=74(20%) final=34(40%) (she said it can be true)..However with these total is 60. But they put 59 on her grade and made her fail....Ross has a crazy rule.and they will never let to see your exam paper..she cant apeal bcuz she was pregnent and had to repeat before...In this point she cant figure it out what she needs to do.Can she able to transfer to saba,AUA,SMU.Is is too late to go any University.any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

mrkaleel
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Transferring to Saba is *possible*, esp from another of the big 4 like Ross. My guess would be she'd prob have to repeat the class she failed considering Saba's pass is a 75 and may even have to repeat others that were lower than a 75, but one sem is not a big deal in the long scheme of things...

spouse10
09-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Transferring to Saba is *possible*, esp from another of the big 4 like Ross. My guess would be she'd prob have to repeat the class she failed considering Saba's pass is a 75 and may even have to repeat others that were lower than a 75, but one sem is not a big deal in the long scheme of things...

Thanks mr kallel.....how do u get loan in saba?...she used to get fedaral loan through FAFSA....

DrValueMD
09-16-2010, 10:55 PM
yeahh i agree. i am not sure if saba will accept transfer students from other medical schools outside of the big 4. i think that they should as long as u are willing to re-do all the courses and after the 1st year of your medical school if you have done well. can anyone inform me with more details about transferring outside of the big 4 into a school like saba?

seattle
09-17-2010, 12:18 PM
yeahh i agree. i am not sure if saba will accept transfer students from other medical schools outside of the big 4. i think that they should as long as u are willing to re-do all the courses and after the 1st year of your medical school if you have done well. can anyone inform me with more details about transferring outside of the big 4 into a school like saba?

Transfer into Saba prior or post Step 1 is possible and has been done. There are no general outcomes that can be stated as rules, as each will be a case-by-case basis on the circumstances.

I have seen 3 situations (that come to mind):

1. Step 1 taken at U.S. med school - then transferred to Saba. Student had to repeat 4th and 5th prior to clinicals.

2. Step 1 not taken at U.S. med school - after thorough review and interview; applicant was accepted into 4th semester.

3. Step 1 not taken at other Caribbean program; individuals will be placed according to what has been completed.

Some issues that will be of interest to anyone considering transferring:

As a general rule, it is more difficult to transfer into a Big 4 school from a non-Big 4 school although not impossible. The difficulty partially is grounded in the non-50 state approved status of non-Big 4 schools when it comes to residency placement. States such as California are currently barred for those who transfer from a non-50 state approved school into a Big 4 and graduate from the latter. In other words, to be considered in California, ALL coursework must be completed at a California approved program.

Another issue with transfering schools has to do with the difficulty during residency match. Although not impossible, it becomes a hurdle to gain interview(s) at programs and some may go as far as eliminating consideration of individuals (FMG's) from applying if one had to transfer.

An additional issue with transfers has to do with the chances of passing Step 1. The percentage of students 1st time pass rate is directly linked to future status as a 50-state approved school. Hence, admissions can be a bit reluctant to admit students, who have demonstrated academic difficulty at another institution.

None of these are impossible to overcome but are realistic hurdles that admission commitees face when considering transfer applicants.

Spouse10 - In terms of loan options at Saba; other than private personal funding, the only option is Ed-Invest. I have stated in detail on other threads why this is a risky, bad option and should be minimized or avoided all together (if possible). Check those threads!

From NJ
09-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi all, My wife has just dismiss from ROSS in her 3rd semister. She got all A's in 2nd in 3rd 2-A's ,2-B's and Pharm got 59..where passing was 60..She said Ross Made mistakes in calculation....I saw her grade 1&2 mini=79*2 (20%) 3mini=74(20%) final=34(40%) (she said it can be true)..However with these total is 60. But they put 59 on her grade and made her fail....Ross has a crazy rule.and they will never let to see your exam paper..she cant apeal bcuz she was pregnent and had to repeat before...In this point she cant figure it out what she needs to do.Can she able to transfer to saba,AUA,SMU.Is is too late to go any University.any help would be appreciated.. Thanks

Check with the University of St. Eustatius School of Medicine (USESOM), they have one of the best clinical programs. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific information. It may take some time but I will get back with you.

Unfortunately, Ross does it to a lot of students. We have a good number of students who had to transfer from Ross, SGU, Saba, AUC, etc., etc.

Call USESOM's NY office and they will guide you. Good Luck! Don't give up.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.