PDA

View Full Version : UNIBE v.s. UAG

T21DRMD
08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm from Puerto Rico and even though I've always been more convinced about the UAG I still have some doubts. I've done my research on the UAG, but on the other hand do not know very much about UNIBE... I do have evaluated the curriculum of the two schools and the curriculum at UNIBE seems fairly complete too. In the case of the UAG what I like most is their orientation toward preparing you for the steps, this can be seen in the fact that recently you cannot pass to 5th semester or to 3rd year without passing the step 1. However, some people have told me that attending to eigther one is basically the same and I know outstanding student who have chosen UNIBE over UAG. Moreover, some say that students graduating from Mexico not just have serious problems passing the steps but that when they finish they end up doing nurses job on the ER, bacause they haven't pass the steps. Because of the fact that I'm from PR it really makes a difference attending to one or another because of the distance and the costs too. Nevertheless, for me is much more important having a better preparation for passing the steps and be able to get a residency when I finish in med school. So I would like to know if someone has any valuable information regarding any of these schools?

Amysan
12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi, I do have the same issue as u.. I have a 3.00 gpa overall in Biology, and I haven't take the mcat yet. But someone told me that many students start at Antigua and Unibe, annd when they pass the first USMLE they return to P.R. I was totally aiming for UAG until they told me that. Have u tried San Juan Bautista?
Amy

T21DRMD
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi, I already have chosen to attend UAG... I do was confuse about which school was my best option but I have written an e-mail to the admission director of ponce school of medicine and she told me that the students coming from UAG have a more simliar curriculum compare to theirs... and that the ones that have all the requirements are usually admitted to 3rd year. I also ask in comparison to other schools like the ones in st domingo and she told me that they almost have no experience with other international schools because they usually doesn't have the step 1 approved... I have also call san juan bautista and UCC and ask them about the transfer option coming from an international school like UAG and they all have told me that it can be done... Plus I have various examples of people coming from UAG and doing the transfer to PR... If you want I can foward you the e-mail with all the info that she gave me, the e-mail is in spanish... Well, send me your e-mail if you are interested... good luck!!!

piojita63
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I have heard of a few current residents that 2 of their colleagues did not match into residency (they believe) because they were school-hoppers. It is likely that you will be asked at interview why you switched schools. Make sure you have a decent response that doesn't make you look bad (i.e. lazy) or speak poorly about the school you went to/graduated from...that is highly unprofessional. I feel that it is likely best to pick one school that is best for you (considering all factors) and finish there. You'll likely deal with less bureaucracy/paperwork too. I understand that it is highly attractive to go to an LCME accredited school, but school-hopping in medical school (or any terminal degree school, for that matter) looks pretty damning on your record, if you ask me. A possible employer would like to know that you weighed your options carefully before making such an important decision. We all have different reasons for searching for medical school abroad, but you should evaluate if the benefits of that outweigh the fact that you won't be studying at an LCME accredited school, meaning you have to go through the ECFMG process. For some people it's worth it, for some it is not.

In terms of your question between UAG and Unibe...I know doctors that have graduated from both and I know current students from both. I understand that Unibe is doing a lot to help students pass those steps (prep courses included in tuition, for example). At UAG, I have a friend who recently passed her step 1, so I ASSUME they are doing what they can for the steps as well. In all, I feel that you need to go where YOU feel best and where you think you may be likely to finish, because it really doesn't matter whether you go to school at Harvard or Timbuktu Medical School...it ultimately is YOUR responsibility to make sure you know the material, as medical school alone cannot possibly cover everything you need to know to be successful at the steps.

This is my humble opinion...
Best of luck to you...wherever you go!

Dr. Mixmasta
12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah school hopping looks BAD ;)

jods
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
so does failing your boards many times and going to schools which fail to live up to even elementary school standards:rolleyes:

Dr. Mixmasta
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Whatcha talkin about WILLIS?

i_nacho_c
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
How hard is to go through the ECFMG way? once you get ur MD degree and passed steps 1 and 2,,, is there "delay" to start a residency in USA/Canada>?

Dr. Mixmasta
12-17-2010, 10:06 AM
If ur done with ur boards by the time u graduate, u can match in the same way that US students match, many friends that i have , did it that way

BruceCampbell
12-31-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi, I already have chosen to attend UAG... I do was confuse about which school was my best option but I have written an e-mail to the admission director of ponce school of medicine and she told me that the students coming from UAG have a more simliar curriculum compare to theirs... and that the ones that have all the requirements are usually admitted to 3rd year. I also ask in comparison to other schools like the ones in st domingo and she told me that they almost have no experience with other international schools because they usually doesn't have the step 1 approved... I have also call san juan bautista and UCC and ask them about the transfer option coming from an international school like UAG and they all have told me that it can be done... Plus I have various examples of people coming from UAG and doing the transfer to PR... If you want I can foward you the e-mail with all the info that she gave me, the e-mail is in spanish... Well, send me your e-mail if you are interested... good luck!!!

Best of luck :)

YooMD
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I am going to apply both..... UAG is 5years and UNIBE is 3years and 4month?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.