PDA

View Full Version : Medical University of Warsaw - Dorms!

Ronaldo9
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get some information from existing or previous students on the dorms.

1) How many are there and which one is the most ideally located?
2) Do the 1 bed room units have a bathroom/kitchen inside or are they shared by the floor?
3) How much is the cost for the dorm rooms (the latest posted info on this was in 2008)
4) As med students, would you recommend the dorm or an apartment?

Thank you guys in advance,

R9

Banality
08-12-2010, 03:06 AM
1) Only one dorm, it's not centrally located.
2)Yes the single dorm and I think the double dorm rooms both have kitchens and toilets.
3) No idea never lived there.
4) Tbh if you can find an apartment, I don't recommend the dorms.

Ronaldo9
08-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Thank you for your reply, Banality.
Would you by any chance know if the dorm has a wireless internet connection?
If the room has a fridge?

Banality
08-13-2010, 05:26 AM
Dorm does have wireless but it isn't the most reliable thing in the world. Friends made do with it through the year.
I'm pretty sure they have fridges there's a kitchen in the rooms so they must do. Don't really see people buying them for just one semester.

blue085
08-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey Banality,

Thanks so much for giving info about the dorms..just wondering if you happen to know the address of the building just to get an idea of where it is in the city.

Thanks in advance :)

Banality
08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Karolkowa 84 if I remember correctly from drunkenly ordering taxis and taking friends home. Don't know the post code.

blue085
08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Thats awesome! Thank you :)

adriank403
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi.
I stumbled upon this thread looking for some info from the school's website. I'm already a student there in the 6yr program. I live at the dorms on Karolkowa 84, postal code 01-193. It is located outside of the 'downtown'. I put downtown in quotations cuz the downtown is spread out. The dorms is right by a tram line that takes u into the heart of downtown in like 20 mins. There is a newer side circa 2004-5, and an older side where most of the Polish sudents live in full rooms with up to 4 occupants! Crowded. The newer side is probably what u are thinking about. It is about 3 stories tall, about 30 rooms on each floor. Each room is technically a double room but u pay extra to have it as a single room given that every applicant for the dorm has been accomodated. At first ur prob may have no choice as to share a room for a month or two but ppl find apartments pretty quickly after the year begins. Each room has two single beds, a bathroom w/ shower, a fridge, a sink, cabinets, and two half closets. On each floor there is a communal kitchen with stoves and ovens. The rate per semester (Oct-Jan) for a single occupant is 4500zl, i don't know the double room rate but it's probably about 750EU converted to zl. Apartments are available everywhere but the prices have gone up over the past few years. U will be looking at about 1600-2000zl/month to have a decently furnished 35sqm place in a decent location. If u speak Polish or are of Polish descent then it may be a little easier. The apartment seeking agencies do speak english but those companies are the larger ones that will take more of a service fee (ie. one month's rent). The campus for medical studies is not very central anyway. It spread throughout the city. During your studies the classes will be everywhere. From down the street to an hour and a half away. It all depends on the course. For the most part the dorms are not in such a bad location. If ur trying to save money then dorms is a much better choice than apartments. U pay utilities on top of rent living in an apartment making a 1600zl rent go to even 2000zl with internet. At the dorms the internet and utilities are included. Internet quality fluctuates throughout the day reaching peak quality at 2am even after they upgraded it last year. U can always get a 3g internet usb stick. To be honest. If u have the money, then an apartment will save u a lot of trouble. Landlords/ladies are generally nice and have someone to speak english to u if they cannot. Dorms are loud and the pairing up at the beginning of the year can suck. Especially for someone with a huge 1st year course load and if your roommate is immature and inconsiderate for example. On top of that u can choose your location in the city. There are many students that live on ul. Lucka near Zelazna. Hear u will find nice apartment buildings with lots of familiar faces once u settle in. It is kind of an elite dorms if u may because u can still reep the benefits of the close proximity to other students. Things like advice, directions, old tests, old textbooks, etc. are useful and a time saver. This 'sharing' is also found at the dorms too. I have tried to answer all of the questions on this thread but if there is anything else... sorry bout the letter

adriank403
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM
The internet is not wireless, it is an ethernet cable going to the wall. U may have a problem if u have a computer with no ethernet port like a Macbook Air but i'm sure u can buy an external one or get a router for example.

dozer1
09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
What household items would I bring with me? Something along the lines of pillows, blankets, etc...

Thanks,

adriank403
09-10-2010, 09:48 PM
They include pillows, blankets, and other bedding like sheets. But u should get ur own sheets cuz then u can pick ur colors. At least a comforter cover. U can buy that stuff here when ur here. Pots are expensive here. I remember I had a left over T-fal pan and a saucepan that i packed into my suitcase for the hell of it which then i was happy i brought when i saw prices for basic pots here. Other than pots nothing is really necessary unless ur very particular. If u have a single room and u slide the two single beds together then queen sized sheets will do. The comforter cover also queen but the comforter isn't queen sized. There will be extra material but when/if u make ur bed it won't look ridiculous having a little mini blanket on a big bed haha. Anyway

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.