PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

greendale
08-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi
I'm an asian studying in the states now
my sister is going to Semmelweis Univ. of medicine this year
she's been in hungary for 7 months now and it's hard to believe that she's really attending a medical school in hungary.

anyway.. my parents are so worried that she's there in hungary alone(she's 20 years old!) and the cost of living is higher than expected.
the agents in my country(japan) said the tuition fee will be 10,000 dollars a year and will be cheaper to study in hungary than japan
(which turned out to be complete b***-s***)

I have few questions and any comments are appreciated!

1. this is no.1 problem..
my sister does NOT speak English fluently ..
I know my English is not perfect but I'm twice better than her
I've looked through some textbook(atlas) , It might take more than an hour to study, remember a page..
speaking is another problem.. she's got a brain so she might not have a problem with remembering things but i'm not sure if she can answer any in oral exam
she's so excited to study medicine in foreign country and i know she's got passion but do you think she's likely to fail? or do you know any cases that even if one does not speak english well, s/he could manage all the studies?

2. my parents are sending her 1,000$ a month
is there any way she could get a scholarship or something?
and does the tuition fee increase every year?

3. I heard about 40% of students either leave or fail, is that true?
(in semmelweis)

I'm so worried if she fail then all the hard work, money and time might be worthless

thanks!

african_child
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi,
I am NOT a student of Semmelweis, but I study in another reputed university in Hungary called University of Debrecen. I intend to give you my HONEST opinion as regards some of your questions/worries. The 4 Hungarian medical schools virtually use the same curriculum. However, be aware that what may differ might just be the teaching approach, time-scale of courses etc. But the methods of examination (which is one of the subject of your post) is more of less the same.

...the agents in my country(japan) said the tuition fee will be 10,000 dollars a year and will be cheaper to study in hungary than japan
(which turned out to be complete b***-s***)I'm sorry you had to find that out the hard way. As you later got to realise, tuition fees for Semmelweis now stands at $14,800 per academic session provided you pay at once at the beginning of the academic session. And if you opt to pay in installments, it may get higher. Please see this reliable source for further information Tuition fees for studies at Semmelweis Uni 2009/2010 : BudapestStudent.com (http://budapeststudent.com/archives/347). But please be aware that this is for last year, and there may or may not be some slight changes for this year.
The lesson to be learnt here is that some agents are not honest. In addition to securing the services of agents, I go further do my homework by contacting the school of interest via phone or e-mail.

...I've looked through some textbook(atlas) , It might take more than an hour to study, remember a page..
speaking is another problem.. she's got a brain so she might not have a problem with remembering things but i'm not sure if she can answer any in oral examYes, your sister is indeed brilliant! But believe me, studying medicine in a language you don't have a good command of can be more daunting that you think. I've seen many bright students from many countries here who fail the orals, not because they don't know the stuff, but because they cannot express themselves properly in the oral exams. I'm so glad you checked our textbooks (I have a feeling the atlas you're talking about is anatomy atlas, most probably Netter's. :)). This shows how much you care about your sister, which is very admirable. But in all honesty, it is hard to study with a book written by an author whose native language is English if you're not very good yourself. These guys are very liberal with their language. Think about all the textbooks she HAS to read and recall within a semester! In my opinion, whoever is serious about reading medicine in English and is not confident with their level of English should take a minimum of 1 year to learn English. I'm a living witness to how successful this method has been. I have a Japanese friend here in Debrecen who took 1 year to polish his English and he is WAY better in both spoken and written English AND most importantly, ACADEMICALLY than his other Japanese friends. And he lives in Japan (not USA)!

she's so excited to study medicine in foreign country and i know she's got passion but do you think she's likely to fail? or do you know any cases that even if one does not speak english well, s/he could manage all the studies?I am not a prophet of doom, but from what I've seen and experienced so far, her likelihood of going far is slim. Let's say she aces through 1st year (which is mostly composed of written tests), how can she scale through 2nd year, where we have anatomy final exams (where you'll be examined on everything you've learned so far in all parts of anatomy?). It's MOSTLY oral exams. Even the end of semester exams are oral.
If she was studying medicine in an English-speaking country, say, UK or Ireland, then we can say her English may improve over time. But she's studying in a country where everyone speaks a different language.

my parents are sending her 1,000$ a month
is there any way she could get a scholarship or something?
and does the tuition fee increase every year?
To my knowledge, there is no scholarship for international students over here. Except if she secured it from Japan or USA. But $1000/per month should be more than enough if she lives a modest lifestyle.
We can approach the issue of tuition fees increase from 2 directions. First, so long she doesn't repeat an academic year, she will continue to pay the tuition fees as outlined in her admission letter until she graduates. Any increase in tuition fees by the school doesn't affect current students except if they repeat a year (see above.) And sometimes failing a single subject (like Biophysics in 1st year) may translate into repeating an academic year. Second, occasionally, there're tuition fees increases but they only affect in-coming students.

I heard about 40% of students either leave or fail, is that true?
(in semmelweis)
I don't have the accurate statistics (and once more I DON'T study at Semmelweis), but yes, the attrition rate is that high!

I'm so worried if she fail then all the hard work, money and time might be worthless

thanks!
The earlier she comes to terms with her shortcomings, the sooner you allay your fears. I still recommend that she takes a minimum of 1 year off to polish her English language. All she needs is the whole family's support and encouragement. And don't give me the flimsy excuse that she's 20 years and probably too old to take a year off. I'm 27 years and just in the 3rd year. And there're some more students older than I am here at Debrecen. Even with a year off, she'll still finish her medical school before she gets to be my present age!

All I've said are my own opinion. In the end, the decision rests with you guys.
I wish her ALL the best in medical school!
BTW, Semmelweis is a highly respected & reputed university within and outside Hungary :)

I hope my post helps.

P.S: I'm sorry I've written this much. I just wanted to make things as clear as possible.

greendale
08-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi, african child
thanks for taking your time to give me info:p
i really appreciate it!

yes, my family and my sister are aware that this isn't an easy way
In fact I want her to drop it ..
and the tuition fee in semmelweis is $16,000 a year!

anyway, thanks for your honest opinion again!
I might have some questions later, ... until then :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.