PDA

View Full Version : Warsaw

camps2001
05-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Hi
I am going to the school in warsaw this year. Does anyone have any info on what to expect. Also I would like to meet some people who are in the area. Feel free to email me or whatever. Thanks
mike

Sandy
05-18-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm a Polish-American and looked into Polish schools extensively. I changed my mind about Poland. These schools have been taking US students for about 10 years. The Warsaw program is new and didn't attract very many students. They signed on with an Indian agent to get students. Noone has graduated from thier four-year program. Polish schools are not very good in teaching and are out to collect money. The satisfication index for these Polish programs is very low. Look at this board:http://www.network54.com/Forum/183613 I have found the comments to be generally accurate. Don't listen to what Polish medical school agents will tell you. They are out to clean out your bank account. Caution is the best approach when it comes to Poland. I wouldn't waste my time and money in Poland.

neilc
05-19-2003, 08:20 AM
there are grads that have finished in poland and done well. but, i agree, the satisfaction is very low. it seems that they just kinda threw these 4 year programs to attract americans. the schools are good, but they are not american schools, and it seems that this is a problem. they get students that want the 4 year usmle style education, and then they don't really give it to them.

all that being said, i think if you do the parrallel programs in most of the eastern europe countries (usually 6 years), you will get a good education. there are usually great profs, and you can do well. but, again, do it in the style of the country you are attending. there are students from eastern europe all over the place, pissed because the schools are not like the US. just be aware of that before you go...if you want us style med school, go to the carib. if you are willing to do oral exams, and self prep for the usmle and spend an extra year or two, eastern europe may be a good options.

and, above all, stay away from agents. i have never, ever heard someone say how happy they were to have an agent. they don't do anything that you can't do yourself for free...

good luck!

JessL
08-16-2003, 02:58 AM
This is Jess, im planning to attend warsaw next year. I have some questions though after we graduate from Warsaw can we just come back and take the claifornia state board test and become a licensed MD?? Is there any other programs that we have to go through first??? Anyhow is nice meeting you. :lol:

dt
08-16-2003, 03:39 AM
This is Jess, im planning to attend warsaw next year. I have some questions though after we graduate from Warsaw can we just come back and take the claifornia state board test and become a licensed MD?? Is there any other programs that we have to go through first??? Anyhow is nice meeting you. :lol:

Are you planning to take the English-language medical program? If so, read this thread:
http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?t=4696&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

mutig25
10-12-2003, 02:40 PM
I am looking into this program, as well. I really can't speak for the school or the program, but here's a link to their website, if you don't already have it:

http://www.amwaw.edu.pl/english/

Let us know if you find out anything else about the program. From what I can tell, the curriculum looks very solid, but how that is communicated in an English-speaking setting, not to mention applicability to prepping for the USMLE, is difficult to say.

Anyone currently in the program care to share their 2 cents? Please reply only if you have had direct experience.

kici
07-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey,

I'll start 2nd yr of the 4yr program in Warsaw this fall. If anybody has any questions about Warsaw I'll be happy to answer them.

kici

UMP
08-04-2004, 12:54 AM
How long has the 4 year program been around and how big is your current class?

Also, do you know anything about this year's incoming class. I'm applying just now, but from what I've heard they are still accepting applications... or am I wrong?

kici
08-04-2004, 10:27 AM
hey,

my class started with 29 people but now it's 24. They admit 30 people every yr into the 4 yr program. This yr. will be the 4th yr they have the program around (but the current 3rd yr and 4th yr have merged because they had only few people start the 4 yr program 4 yrs ago).

I think it's too late to apply for this yr. for the 4 yr. program. However, if you have a Polish citizenship you can try contacting Warsaw and if you have all the requirements and documents ready there's a good chance you'll get in even this yr. You have to hurry up though.
If you're not a Polish citizen I don't think you'll get accepted for this yr. especially since you'd have to apply through HMI.

UMP
08-04-2004, 01:04 PM
I am a Polish citizen also, so I can apply straight to them. They sent me all the information, but I want to make sure that I'm just not wiring that $250 for no reason :)

kici
08-08-2004, 10:35 PM
whae I applied last year it was $500 :(

UMP
08-09-2004, 01:56 AM
wow! Do you know anything about the admission rates to Warsaw. Or maybe known of people who applied to certain other schools in Poland, and if they got in or not ? They told me that the admissions board does not meet until september 6th, and I'm very anxious....

euromd
08-09-2004, 08:50 AM
I only applied to schools where the application was free. But I was interested in Warsaw and had a few questions for them, one of which my refusal to apply through HMI. It was interesting to see how they treat prospective students. I am half polish (I could get polish citizenship if I wanted) but my last name is by no stretch of the imagination polish. i can speak and read polish, just not write it - thus my email to them in english!! anyhow, they treated me like bigos-gone-bad. that left me with a bad taste so i never bothered with the exorbitant application fee. oh, and they never found out I was polish either.

-S

kici
08-09-2004, 10:13 AM
hey,

Yeah the admin in Warsaw is not very professional sometimes i.e. they don't acknowledge your e-mails, are not well informed, treat students as a nuissance. However, don't let that deter you from applying. The program is OK and in the end you will get your diploma. Now what you do with your diploma is up to you and no one else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the comission meets on Sept 6th you just have to wait but I think if you have all the requirements fulfilled your prospects of getting in look very good.

euromd
08-10-2004, 10:47 PM
I wanted to apply to the 6 year program b/c I am considering staying in Europe. However, I had (or would have by the time of enrolment) all the prereqs for the 4-year program. They didn't let me apply to the 6-year program. I know they want to get their 4-year program off the ground and I'm sure they're nothing wrong with it, however, they would be getting more $$$ out of me if they would have let me go to the 6-year program. So why the hiccup?

The 4-year program takes a lot more jumping through hoops to be recognized in Europe especially IF YOU DID THE 4 YEARS IN EUROPE!! it's different if you're coming form Canada or USA.

That's my beef.

-S

chihyenchang
08-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Dear kici,
I am going to Warsaw .Do you think is it a solid progrme for medical school? Wish to get more info from you
Thanks

Chihyen

kici
08-22-2004, 10:42 PM
hey there,

I think it's a solid program. Of course this is my personal opinion. If you follow the program and study regularly you will learn a lot. Many people who are dissapointed with the program are so because they expect the profs will come and shove the knowledge into their heads. You have to take into account the fact that the teaching style is not what people are used to coming from NA educational systems.

UMP
08-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I keep hearing how it's a different teaching system, but no one has really explained what that means. By the way when are you going over there and when does the school year start? (I'm still waiting on my reply (Sep 7))

kici
08-24-2004, 12:25 PM
hey,

the school year usually starts the last week of September. I'm going there on Aug27th. When it comes to how the system is really different: students are expected to memorize, the profs are not as much concerned with your ability to understand the material but rather your ability to recall unimportant details from their lectures + compendiums. I don't know how it is in NA medical programs, but having a bachelor degree from a NA university I can tell you that the NA profs were more focused on their students' ability to understand concepts and to apply them. Warsaw and Poland in general offers traditional medical education: that means strong emphasis on anatomy, histology, pathology and so on but each of the subjects are treated as separate from the others. Only when you start to do your clinicals it all starts to fall into a place.

UMP
08-26-2004, 03:02 AM
So have any of you actually heard of anyone not admitted in to a Polish school (not necessarily the one you are going to)? My response date is looming and I'm getting a little nervous...

kici
08-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Hey,

I'm positive you'll get in a 4yr program unless you don't have the prerequisites. However; if you don't they will probably channel you into a 6yr program.
Btw I wonder that too: was anyone ever refused the admission and if yes what were the reasons for it?

kici

UMP
08-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Thank you, that's what I needed to hear :D How early do you think I should fly over there, and what if anything (other than clothes) should I bring with me ?

sage
08-27-2004, 02:29 AM
I just finished my basic sciences in Katowice, Poland and let me tell you that the school is ridiculously bad..I completely forgot that I was in medical school. I learned nothing at all. The teachers are extremely bad and the only info I learned was from what I read on my own from Review books. Not only are the schools terrible but the middle man that sends American students there are terrible also.. They just want money and will not care for their students at all unless you are able to fish out money to them. Their criteria for getting into their institution is whether you have enough financial funds in your ban account. I completely regret going to that school and wouldnt reccomend it to anyone..its true that all they want is money and they dont care about education at all from both sides.Hope Medical Institute (HMI) and the faculty in Poland!!!! :(

UMP
08-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Another "horror" story. I have to admit some people don't have the mental capabilities and motivation to teach themself the material, and it's the Polish school's fault that they accepted them. But, they needed the money... when I'm looking at the school system in Poland, I think they'll give me a chance to make-up for the partying I did in undergrad which were the cause of my bad grades. But, honestly people who studied their butts off and still couldn't get in to medical school in the US, or continued their party life from undergrad in to med school should only blame themselves. As my new forum hero says (KWbum), you get what you put in to these schools :)

But, then again, I haven't been over there yet. But, I know there are success stories, which means that it's all possible

orangecrush
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Those that are using Hope Medical institute or Alliance for their schooling in Poland, do you know where or how the clinical rotations are setup? I am thinking of transferring if the clinical spots are good in the US. I don't know any Polish, so I cannot do rotations in Poland. Please give me some info on US clinicals through HMI and Alliance.

Thanks.

ilovekici
11-07-2004, 02:41 PM
This is just a comment on one of kici's comments in this specific forum. Congratulations to you for saying things as you feel they really are. It's nice to hear a different opinion sometimes, especially with all of the Poland bashing here. But be careful with some of your personal opinions. I don't think that it is wrong to demand a better education for the amount of money that we're paying. Many of the students who are not happy with the program feel the same way. So please don't make any silly assumptions about other students because you are satisfied with the low level of education that you are receiving. Good luck! :)

kici
11-12-2004, 02:48 PM
;)

Tono789
12-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi there!
I finished medschool in Krakow last May. I am not of Polish heritage.
During my four years in Krakow I bitched and complaint and listened to others do the same thing. Now I realize, all my complaints were pure B.S.
I'm doing ObGyn residency in Upstate NY and I have American students rotating with me and I can hear them complaining about the same shit. "Nobody teaches us anything! We want hands on experience! My teachers suck!" IT IS ALL CRAP! Study hard, pass your boards, go into residency! Then everything will come with time. Your job as a student is to memorize factoids during the first two years, and to keep your eyes open during your clinical rotations so you have an idea of what being a resident is. Everythig else will come with time.
I DID NOT DO A SINGLE ROTATION IN THE US! And the only thing I missed apparently was how to write a proper soap note, which I admit, I didn't know when I got here. For the next two weeks I focused on learning the trade names of the most common drugs, and how to track down labs and imaging results in the computer, and bingo....I was at the level of any US graduate at the intern level.
Regardless of where you go, do your best, and read a lot on your own, because these are the only two things you will really need as a physician.
Medicine is a HUGE subject! YOU MUST READ AND LEARN ON YOUR OWN! IF YOU CAN'T DO THIS PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO MEDICINE BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BECOME A COMPETENT PHYSICIAN! EVER!
When it comes to clinical rotations, I must admit, learning must be a combination of reading and first hand observation of the attendings and senior residents. This gets tricky in busy specialties like ObGyn. Residents and attendings are extremely busy, and have little or no time to sit down and explain the students what exactly is going on. This is the same wherever you go, so don't sweat it.
I live for 4 years in Krakow and had a blast! I miss Krakow every day. In my opinion it is the best city in Poland (and I've been around in Poland)
Very picturesque, a lot to do, affordable, and a great program at Jagiellonian. Good luck to you all!

smileygirl
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
For those of you in Polish schools now, what do you all think? I am looking into Poznan and the Medical University of Warsaw. Most of my family lives in Poland and I have an uncle who runs a hospital in Warsaw. Are you happy with the schools you are attending? Hope to hear from any of you soon....

olaucsb
01-07-2005, 12:17 PM
In response to the comment that many students are unsatisfied with their medical school experience in Poland.. YOU'RE WRONG. I finished my 1st semester and am about to begin my second one this Monday. Before I came here I was worried that my teachers were going to speak English poorly or that the facilities were going to be falling a part or that I would never be able to get help. I was VERY wrong. The teachers speak English very well, their only downfall is lack of confidence. The facilities are not brand new, but they are perfectly acceptable and comfortable. As for assistance, in our histology class for example, the teacher:student ratio was about 1:5 (I never had that kind of attention at UCSB!). We have 56 or so students in our 2004 class, and I've never had a problem getting help. Each course has plenty of "TA's", which are MDs, PhDs or both! All in all, I am very happy at KMU, and I would say that most people are.

There is one giant downfall however...if you are interested in practicing in states such as California, wait until California approves it, don't expect it to be done by the time you graduate.

And also, do your own homework about every and all schools and states you may want to end up at, don't trust rumors, research!

Happily from Poznan, O.

gvanderv
01-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey,

I have to back my classmate "olaucsb". Please don't make assumptions or generalizations about "all the students" or "English Programs" in Poland. I'm very happy here, in fact was glad to get back from the states after the holidays. You get out of it what you put into it........it's really pretty simple. I've been around long enough to tell you that the people that bitch the most would bitch where ever they are. I know a doctor that went to Harvard and complained the whole time. Now he's an ER doc and complains about where he works...........that's after he complained about the residency program he was in.

Bye ......... Gerry

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.