PDA

View Full Version : University of Queensland vs. University of Sydney

thisislife
07-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi,
I got an offer from University of Queensland and University of Sydney medical school. I am thinking of accepting an offer from either one for 2011 entry. Which school would you recommend to attend to the next 4 years, considering I want to come back to North America for residency?

Thanks a lot!!

jennluvya
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey,
Based on what you wrote, I guess you already had your interview with Sydney and had it very successfully. Can you please share your experience during the interview on Skype? I have mine coming up soon and I'm not sure what to expect except the fact that it's going to be "informal".... Thanks! and Congrats on your acceptance offers! :D

thisislife
07-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Heyy, congrats for getting in interview.
The interview was about 20 minutes with two interviewees. They only asked me personal questions, probably b/c of the time limit.

These are the questions they asked:

1) Tell me about yourself
- I highlighted my qualities supported by the activities and volunteers that I have done. Here, I also expained the reason I want to become a doctor, and the experience that has lead me that way.

2) Why do you want to come to University of Sydney?
- Some reseach on the spekcial qualities of USyd helped. I talked about the PBL program there, and this lead to the third question they asked.

3) What did you like about PBL and what are some challenges that you encountered during PBL?

4) Which courses/studies interested you the most in my undergraduate studies?

5) Which field/side of medicine interests you the most? Which path do you want to pursue as a doctor in the future?

6) Is there any other activities or qualities you want to highlight for us?

The interviewees then asked if I had any questions for them.
They told me they would keep in touch and let me know the result in 24 hours, and they did :).
Good luck on your interview, and let me know if there's any other questions. :!:

BTW have you applied to Queensland as well? If you get an offer from USyd, which would you choose? Just wondering what factors other people take into account when choosing a medical school.

SNu
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I only applied to Sydney and UQ and was accepted at both. I am also very torn between the two schools. By the way, I am an American also with the intent to come back to North America at some point so I applied to the UQ-Ochsner program. I am assuming you applied to the regular UQ program.

Both are highly reputable and offer similar course sizes (UQ is larger, but the PBL's and clinical rotations are about the same size). If you're main goal is to practice in North America than I say the biggest thing to consider is doing rotations in North America. In talking to American physicians, I found that spending clinical years in the States and getting good letters or rec are pivotal to landing a decent residency. I know that UQ's affiliation with Ochsner will allow you to do one of your core rotations and your elective there and you wouldn't really have to set anything up. In contrast, Sydney's affiliations at Cornell and Columbia are for research positions (a question I asked during my interview, and kind of a bummer because I am much more interested in being a clinician than a researcher). Not sure about the Canadian affiliations. As for your core rotation, they said they will help set something up at hospital overseas. So for you I would say...

UQ pro's: cheaper, more convenient to do rotations overseas

Sydney pro's: technically ranked higher by some lists than UQ, probably better if you are interested in reserach, more competitive admittance

Let me know which one you go with!

badveg
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi thisislife, I saw your post and I registered on this forum just to reply! I was in the same situation as you, I had a Skype interview and got an (unconditional) offer from USyd and later got another unconditional offer from UQ.

I was also torn between the two, but because I am not from North America, I can't really answer that part of your question. I eventually chose USyd (paid the deposit yesterday). I think the reason was mainly living environment for me. I'm from Hong Kong, and so I'm a total city slicker, hence Sydney would satisfy me the most in that respect (although I understand Brisbane is not that quiet too).

A family friend who is in academia in Australia (UNSW medical lecturer) told me that both are just as good, though USyd is more prestigious, but in the end it may not matter so much. Looking at the league trends, I concur with his view.

UQ, as SNu pointed out, is cheaper. For living expenses, sure, but definitely in tuition fees. Although that depends on what modules you choose; if you go all surgical then maybe the difference is smaller.

First year: Do correct me if I'm wrong; I think first year in UQ is much more fundamental science and laying out the foundations, whereas in USyd basics are brushed over pretty quickly and then you dive straight into the clinical teaching. Apparently at USyd you get patient contact from week 2, not sure about UQ.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you choose, but be quick... UQ will close the door once they get enough students...

badveg
07-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey,
Based on what you wrote, I guess you already had your interview with Sydney and had it very successfully. Can you please share your experience during the interview on Skype? I have mine coming up soon and I'm not sure what to expect except the fact that it's going to be "informal".... Thanks! and Congrats on your acceptance offers! :D

Hi Jenn, would post my USyd interview experience but don't know if you've already done it by now! Give a shout if I can help!

marble30
07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi thisislife, I saw your post and I registered on this forum just to reply! I was in the same situation as you, I had a Skype interview and got an (unconditional) offer from USyd and later got another unconditional offer from UQ.

I was also torn between the two, but because I am not from North America, I can't really answer that part of your question. I eventually chose USyd (paid the deposit yesterday). I think the reason was mainly living environment for me. I'm from Hong Kong, and so I'm a total city slicker, hence Sydney would satisfy me the most in that respect (although I understand Brisbane is not that quiet too).

A family friend who is in academia in Australia (UNSW medical lecturer) told me that both are just as good, though USyd is more prestigious, but in the end it may not matter so much. Looking at the league trends, I concur with his view.

UQ, as SNu pointed out, is cheaper. For living expenses, sure, but definitely in tuition fees. Although that depends on what modules you choose; if you go all surgical then maybe the difference is smaller.

First year: Do correct me if I'm wrong; I think first year in UQ is much more fundamental science and laying out the foundations, whereas in USyd basics are brushed over pretty quickly and then you dive straight into the clinical teaching. Apparently at USyd you get patient contact from week 2, not sure about UQ.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you choose, but be quick... UQ will close the door once they get enough students...

Hey, I also got an acceptance from UQ and USyd...ended up choosing USyd. I don't know if it's the right decision, but I heard that USyd's pre-clinical years (ie. year 1 and 2) are better organized while there have been some complaints about UQ's teaching structure in years 1 and 2.

Just wondering - did you receive any confirmation from USyd about whether or not they got your acceptance/deposit? My computer was acting up when I was on the deposit screen so I'm hoping everything went through okay.

badveg
07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey, I also got an acceptance from UQ and USyd...ended up choosing USyd. I don't know if it's the right decision, but I heard that USyd's pre-clinical years (ie. year 1 and 2) are better organized while there have been some complaints about UQ's teaching structure in years 1 and 2.

Just wondering - did you receive any confirmation from USyd about whether or not they got your acceptance/deposit? My computer was acting up when I was on the deposit screen so I'm hoping everything went through okay.

Hi, I'm in the same situation--I paid my deposit but other than the automatic receipt, there's no confirmation from the medical faculty or international admissions. But if you didn't even get a receipt of payment, then it's quite possible the transaction didn't go through and you may have to do it again...

And yes, I'm not sure if I made the right decision too, since both universities seem equally good, but I have read elsewhere of complaints about UQ's pre-clinical years... But then again... USyd's pretty good... so I don't think we could go wrong in a big way... haha

marble30
07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi, I'm in the same situation--I paid my deposit but other than the automatic receipt, there's no confirmation from the medical faculty or international admissions. But if you didn't even get a receipt of payment, then it's quite possible the transaction didn't go through and you may have to do it again...

And yes, I'm not sure if I made the right decision too, since both universities seem equally good, but I have read elsewhere of complaints about UQ's pre-clinical years... But then again... USyd's pretty good... so I don't think we could go wrong in a big way... haha

You're right about how both schools are pretty good. In fact, the main thing I was agonizing over the past few days was the extra amount of tuition for USyd each year (compared to UQ) and whether or not I wanted to pay it, lol.

I might email International admissions in a few days if I still haven't received any news from them. Will let you know if I get a response.

thisislife
07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks so much for your replies.
I was so torn between the two schools, but it was really interesting to hear that all you guys were worrying over the same decision between the two schools, lol.

I decided to go to USyd and just accepted by offer and made the payment. (BTW I recieved a confirmation letter for both the web acceptance fromt the international acceptance and Travelex for the payment. I think you guys should definitely check with the office if you didn't get the letters.) My main concern was the tuition, but I think (and hope) that Sydney life would be worth it (especailly that city life ;)).

So... I guess I'll see some of you guys at USyd ??? :)
Have you guys selected preference for the hospitals and residences?

badveg
07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for your replies.
I was so torn between the two schools, but it was really interesting to hear that all you guys were worrying over the same decision between the two schools, lol.

I decided to go to USyd and just accepted by offer and made the payment. (BTW I recieved a confirmation letter for both the web acceptance fromt the international acceptance and Travelex for the payment. I think you guys should definitely check with the office if you didn't get the letters.) My main concern was the tuition, but I think (and hope) that Sydney life would be worth it (especailly that city life ;)).

So... I guess I'll see some of you guys at USyd ??? :)
Have you guys selected preference for the hospitals and residences?

Yes, I think all internationals had to list their preferences when booking their interview slot. I selected Central (RPAH) as first choice, what about you guys?

Oh, residences! I haven't received anything about that yet. I've searched online a bit and the University Village place sounds alright... you got any recommendations?

And as for the confirmation, I emailed the International Office but they didn't reply, so I'll email the Admissions Officer instead. I didn't do mine through Travelex, though. :confused:

marble30
07-28-2010, 11:11 PM
I chose Central as my first choice too, but I don't think I'll get it since it's supposed to be the most popular choice (what with it being on campus and all, lol). As long as it's not Nepean I'll be happy (it's so far!!).

As for the residences...I'm still debating between Sydney University Village and the residential colleges. Heard the colleges are really hard to get into though, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Btw, I'm coming from Canada. :)

badveg
07-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I chose Central as my first choice too, but I don't think I'll get it since it's supposed to be the most popular choice (what with it being on campus and all, lol). As long as it's not Nepean I'll be happy (it's so far!!).

As for the residences...I'm still debating between Sydney University Village and the residential colleges. Heard the colleges are really hard to get into though, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

Btw, I'm coming from Canada. :)

Yeah... lol I had no idea about the clinical schools too so I just put them in order of distance from campus!

I thought about the colleges at first but they all look so old.. I prefer modern buildings like the university village. And it's really close to campus too.

I'll be coming from Hong Kong, though I did my undergrad and Masters in London, UK. :)

badveg
07-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Hey I just got a reply from Fiona Cheung the intl admissions officer; she said they confirm that they've got the deposit, but the eCoE (electronic confirmation of enrolment?) thing can only be issued once we settle the remaining balance for first semester's fees.

However the deposit is to secure our place so we're safe in that respect. Just need to cough up the rest of the $$ by Oct... :cry:

marble30
07-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info! I have to admit that I was getting a bit worried since I hadn't heard anything from them yet. Now I really need to figure out how I'm going to pay, lol.

I'm just curious - since you're from HK, so does that mean that you're planning on going back there to work after this degree?

Btw, do you know if there's a facebook group up for our class yet?

badveg
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I have to admit that I was getting a bit worried since I hadn't heard anything from them yet. Now I really need to figure out how I'm going to pay, lol.

I'm just curious - since you're from HK, so does that mean that you're planning on going back there to work after this degree?

Btw, do you know if there's a facebook group up for our class yet?

Um... I'm not sure about where I'll go after the degree, it depends on how things turn out I guess? However if I were to go back to HK I would like to have experience in practising in a foreign country before returning.

And I have no idea about Facebook groups... lol I hardly use Facebook now.

marble30
07-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Um... I'm not sure about where I'll go after the degree, it depends on how things turn out I guess? However if I were to go back to HK I would like to have experience in practising in a foreign country before returning.

And I have no idea about Facebook groups... lol I hardly use Facebook now.

LOL, I was just wondering b/c I noticed the UQ Med 2014 group getting more busy these days as people started accepting their offers.

badveg
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
LOL, I was just wondering b/c I noticed the UQ Med 2014 group getting more busy these days as people started accepting their offers.

Oh... I see! Well to be fair USyd doesn't seem to be talked about as much... on Newmediamedicine the USyd forum has been derelict for years... and even here there seems to be more UQ talk! :p

jennluvya
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi Jenn, would post my USyd interview experience but don't know if you've already done it by now! Give a shout if I can help!

I just checked your reply!
So obviously, I did my interview with USyd on Skype by now and I got an acceptance but I had a delay in sending them my final transcript, so I only got a conditional offer. I would have to wait to get the confirmation on the unconditional offer now.

So, anyhow I just have a question regarding internship for international students. I know they've been sending me a couple of e-mails concerning internship places being not guaranteed for anyone. I didn't think of it very seriously before but now I consider, does that mean there is no chance of anyone getting an internship space? (that just sounds wrong, right?!) Does it mean more like "there is only a LIMITED space for internship spaces for international students"?

One more,
So regarding residence, are we as students supposed to find a place on our own?! School's not guaranteeing residence spots for anyone???

badveg
08-18-2010, 07:32 PM
So obviously, I did my interview with USyd on Skype by now and I got an acceptance but I had a delay in sending them my final transcript, so I only got a conditional offer. I would have to wait to get the confirmation on the unconditional offer now.

So, anyhow I just have a question regarding internship for international students. I know they've been sending me a couple of e-mails concerning internship places being not guaranteed for anyone. I didn't think of it very seriously before but now I consider, does that mean there is no chance of anyone getting an internship space? (that just sounds wrong, right?!) Does it mean more like "there is only a LIMITED space for internship spaces for international students"?

One more,
So regarding residence, are we as students supposed to find a place on our own?! School's not guaranteeing residence spots for anyone???

Congratulations on the offer! About that internship thing, I'm a bit confused too, perhaps someone here can shed light on the subject?

About residences, I haven't received anything from USyd apart from the offer letters and guidelines for getting vaccinations. I imagine we will have to arrange accommodation on our own, that's how it's been done at my past 2 unis. But by "our own", I mean that as in we have to do it on our own initiative, it's not like boarding school where we walk in and be given a room.

And as for guaranteeing residence spots, I'm not sure. I think it's different with each hall. The colleges may give priority to internationals or something, but the place I'm interested in (University Village) doesn't seem to give any preference.

badveg
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Just realised you may have meant 'residence' as in medical residency... in which case I'm not too sure either lol!

DominusRebellis
10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure, but maybe you could attend one school then transfer?

aussieboy
10-30-2010, 06:43 PM

SNIP

I'm an Australian citizen at UNSW med school. I have a lot of international student friends who are in trouble.

I'm very surprised that anyone would head to an Australian medical school without understanding the intern situation.

In NSW, as things stand, there is only a guarantee, until 2012, for local students. This year saw the first international students fail to receive internships. One of the best students in our year had to head to Melbourne, but that will soon stop once Victoria is full too: there are many more local students coming through the system and it will be struggling to cope with them. Not providing for internationals just about keeps the locals in training and avoids the kind of newspaper headlines seen in the UK in 06/07.

At the very, least I would have thought before committing all that money, you'd have made a quick search on Google to find the local intern policy. I'm not allowed to post links but search for Imet internships FAQs allocation and you should get there.

Most US students I know are now sitting their USMLEs, for which a PBL course is particularly poor preparation.

In my analysis, this situation will not change. International students will not be able to finish their training in Australia. It is policy to have a home grown medical profession.

If you're cool with that, then you'll have fun at USYD.

zameer23
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey guys,
I am a canadian undergrad student and am looking forward to apply to either Usyd or UQ in the following year. I was just wondering if anyone could hint as to what their mcat or gpa was that got them in. Any other info will be appreciated!

Thanks

just some guy
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm an Australian citizen at UNSW med school. I have a lot of international student friends who are in trouble.

I'm very surprised that anyone would head to an Australian medical school without understanding the intern situation.

In NSW, as things stand, there is only a guarantee, until 2012, for local students. This year saw the first international students fail to receive internships. One of the best students in our year had to head to Melbourne, but that will soon stop once Victoria is full too: there are many more local students coming through the system and it will be struggling to cope with them. Not providing for internationals just about keeps the locals in training and avoids the kind of newspaper headlines seen in the UK in 06/07.

At the very, least I would have thought before committing all that money, you'd have made a quick search on Google to find the local intern policy. I'm not allowed to post links but search for Imet internships FAQs allocation and you should get there.

Most US students I know are now sitting their USMLEs, for which a PBL course is particularly poor preparation.

In my analysis, this situation will not change. International students will not be able to finish their training in Australia. It is policy to have a home grown medical profession.

If you're cool with that, then you'll have fun at USYD.

This is quite a contrast to the competition between schools in the US. You can see here how people regard schools. Google 54 percent of students would eat a poop hotdog to gain entry to a medical school of their choice (a true story) on MBA Underground.

As for the lack of internships, this is just the beginning. Get ready for Noctors who can do 50 percent of what modern day doctors do. And they make bank too. Check out the prison nurse who makes 270 k a year on MBA Underground.

kumz
11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Hey guys, I planned on writing this message a lot earlier but I have been really busy. Here is my 2 cents as a 1st year student at Usyd (im a canadian). Im going to start off with Australia vs all other options vs caribs. Also a note in here for canadians.

Pros
The quality of RESOURCES is worth every penny. The clinical teaching here is awesome. You also get access to some of the best hospitals in sydney and there are a lot of doctors out there eager to teach you.
Great environment -> some of the nicest and most laid back students (and professors) I have met.
Great faculty -> they are quite flexible and they are very sincere in making sure you get what you need. They are also very responsive and the professors here sincerely like teaching. Unlike North American universities they arent yanked out of their labs.
Great chance to get public a paper. A lot of world class researchers here. Keep in mind, for a lot of residences, publishing a paper>demolishing the step1 and/or step2 score.

Cons
Its really expensive. With the australian dollar up and the slow/stagnant economy, its has gotten even more expensive. Sydney is also ridiculousy expensive.
Not a good place to learn your basic sciences. You need basic sciences to write USMLE step1. You have to do a lot of work yourself. Mind you, they are changing the program up to make it more basic science focused. But for now, its really hard to cover when you need to cover for USMLE.
Yes, internationals are not guaranteed an internship. There is a lot of work being done towards solving that problem. But I dont know if it will be enough. Also, North Americans have a terrible reputation of leaving the hospital 6 months into their internship. Hospitals need their interns to help with the ridiculous workload, and when one leaves, its qutie detrimental on the people around them.
Only 2 electives in NA.

The counter arguement to the residency problem:
The chances of you not get any sort of job after you graduate is quite low. Obviously, you have to work hard to keep your options open though. Study the USMLE material by yourself and write the exam, do the electives in NA, make contacts in Singapore, New Zealand, USA and Canada; and above all, have confidence in yourself. The great thing about this medical program is that if you work hard, it really really shows. You get a lot of clinical integration into your basice sciences and a great patient student interaction. You have to make yourself an asset for any residency program, and this program shows you how.

Here is my summary on coming Australia at all:
1) If you want to be a GOOD doctor, go to usyd. When you graduate, your clinical skills will be fantastic
2) But you need money. Lots of it (300 CAD min). Also, you need to be prepared to not get a job after you graduate. You should be ready to pursue a PHD or MPA and keep applying for internship/residency jobs.
3) Be ready to learn a lot of basic science yourself. If you cant deal with this, then please do not spend this much money to come here.
4) Caribs arent that as bad as an option as you think, especially:
a)if you have a hard time figuring out what you need to learn
b)if you dont have many contacts in US and Canada
c)if you cant afford the large sum of money.
This is primarily because whether you are at Caribs or Aus, you are mainly gunning for a residency in US. Caribs are USMLE focused and residency focused. Two years in North American hospitals is ***king huge. And you have so much time to just focus on USMLE, god damn.

Also for the Canadians: if you are a licensed doctor in US, im sure you wont have a hard time getting a job in canada. As a canadian hopeful, that is literally my most likely route right now: find time to study for USMLE -> kill it -> electives in USA -> residency -> licensing in USA -> Go home <- ***king long time.
I could also apply directly for residencies back home, but the probability is quite low and most likely i'll be stuck with a ROS.

Finally UQ vs Usyd:
Here is a summery as I understand it ->
UQ pros: cheaper, more laid back, more North Americans (which is huge)
UQ cons: massive class sizes (which really isnt that big of deal for step 1 and 2 studying). Therefore, it wont affect your 1st 2 years. But im not sure how the 3rd and 4th years are. Also, have to do the step 1 and 2 studying yourself

Usyd pros: amazing clinical teaching, great research opportunities, reputable uni, massive international presence, numbers arent that big, better train system
Usyd cons: so mother***king expensive. Same issues with USMLE studying

If I could do it all over again, I would be just as lost. The pros and cons for each school are about the same. I think Usyd would edge slightly more, because of the clinical teaching here. The doctors are not as overloaded as UQ.

Just a note:
PBL based learning is touted by both unis. Its baloney. Its very clinical based and as a 1st year med student you dont need to know the nuances of treating rheumatoid arthritis.

Nouya
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM
University of Sydney is better, in my opinion

amty
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
usyd is better +1

WilliamMerrill
02-08-2011, 02:47 AM
i am to try get admission in university of Queensland and University of Sydney.my friend advise me for University of Sydney and i wish for university of Queensland.what should i do.

chuangpat
02-23-2011, 03:31 AM
usyd is better +1... great location =)

qally7
04-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Queensland is in Brisbane. Brisbane just had a terrible flood earlier this year with around 10 deaths, so avoid brisbane if you can!

danish_khan991
07-09-2012, 04:37 AM
Hey! everyone one question in order to get admission in to University of Queensland medical school what bachelors degree did you all do? and from which university? I was planning to pursue Bachelor of dentistry(Undergraduate) at Queensland.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.