PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got an interview with Sydney Med??

jennluvya
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm scheduled to have my interview with Sydney on Aug 4 and from this year, the format of the interview has been changed to 15-min "informal" interview on Skype!
I'm not sure what to expect really! Anyone got advice for me??:(
Thanks!

*Everyone on ValueMD seems to talk about UQ, not Sydney. Is Sydney med not as good as UQ? Is there some reason why people only talk about UQ here?

marble30
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
IMO, I think it's because UQ accepts more North American students (mainly Canadians) and because their agents (in particular Oztrekk) do more promoting than USyd's.

The USyd interview is very informal. In fact, I think everyone that had an interview got in (at least on the SDN forums). The main questions that I got asked were "Tell us something about yourself" and "Why did you choose USyd?"

Good luck with your interview!

badveg
07-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I was asked, in order:

1. Tell us about your undergrad degree, and what you're doing now.

2. Why medicine?

3. Why USyd instead of staying where you are?

4. Did you apply to any universities where you're from/at?

5. What do you know about Sydney other than what you saw online?

The interview for me was very informal, like a chat at a social gathering; so reciprocate!

Some advice:

- Use a sensible Skype name. JohnSmith is better than rUdEbOi666
- Don't lean in too close to the camera, keep a distance so it's like you're across the table from them. You will be less daunting and actually appear more approachable, I think.
- If you want, you can have cheat sheets! But make them concise and on post-its next to the camera lens or directly behind the cam.
- Smile all the time! Goes a long way.
- Hand gestures on Skype make you more personable, it shows you're into it and the video-calling barrier doesn't prevent you from making them feel their presence is acknowledged.
- Look at the screen while listening, and at the camera while talking.

I was called 50 minutes early and the interview only lasted 8 minutes. I think it was nearing the end of the day for them so they wanted to finish off the interviews quick! So be sure to sign in strictly at least an hour before!

Good luck!! An interview is simply a way for them to see that you are the person you make out to be on your personal statement/CV, but a way for you to shine and impress beyond that. Relax!

By the way, how come your interview is so late? Mine was in mid-July!

marble30
07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I heard that interview offers were ranked by MCAT score, but that's just a rumor.

coolblue
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
If you don't mind posting, can you please state your undergrad GPA or the average GPA for acceptance? Thanks =)

badveg
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
If you don't mind posting, can you please state your undergrad GPA or the average GPA for acceptance? Thanks =)

I'm an international applicant so I don't know my GPA-- that was calculated by USyd in their secret laboratories using their undisclosed formula, probably...

And if you mean GPA in the conditions of acceptance, then I can't help you either because my offer was a 'firm offer', which is unconditional... sorry :(

marble30
07-30-2010, 02:11 PM

USyd has a GPA hurdle, so admission is based on MCAT score and the interview (at least, it was based on the interview prior to this year...).

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.