PDA

View Full Version : Need information!!!

corky
07-19-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm preparing to move to Pecs soon enough to start my first semester in the general medicine course. I have looked on the university website many times for information about the course. During my searches I came across one of the subjects, physical education, as one we must take. There are a list of sports which we partake in; football, gym training etc.

This could be a problem as I have a bad leg. I can walk fine but any strenuous activity causes pain. Ive been swimming to keep in shape. I need information on this course; do we have to do it?? can swimming be the sport I choose for the two years??

Also I have read about people setting up bank accounts. Why are they setting up bank accounts?? do we have to??

Scandiguy
07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Didn't you have to send a "medical report" when you applied?

If you have not then perhaps you could have your family doctor write some kind of statement regarding your leg. I can't imagine them not being flexible. Best thing is probably to call them before arriving.

I think the bank account thing has to do with residency permit, you have to have a certain amount in an account in order to apply. I'm not sure though, anyway it's pratical to have an account there.

super_chick
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm preparing to move to Pecs soon enough to start my first semester in the general medicine course. I have looked on the university website many times for information about the course. During my searches I came across one of the subjects, physical education, as one we must take. There are a list of sports which we partake in; football, gym training etc.

This could be a problem as I have a bad leg. I can walk fine but any strenuous activity causes pain. Ive been swimming to keep in shape. I need information on this course; do we have to do it?? can swimming be the sport I choose for the two years??

Also I have read about people setting up bank accounts. Why are they setting up bank accounts?? do we have to??

hello again ,how have been? you can use swimming as your physical education . people are setting up bank account because it is easier to have money at hand that is Hungarian and in case of emergency you can go to a local bank. if you have citibank you can use it in hungary.It is not required but i highly suggest it

Ryan01
07-20-2010, 07:49 AM

I am pretty sure that you will have no problems getting an exemption for Physical Education once you explain the situation and it wouldn't hurt to back it up with a Doctor's letter/report...email Pecs to confirm this though.

Having a bank account over there would generally be more convienient....I also heard that to get some sort of residency permit or something like that you need to have a bank account over there...can someone confirm this or shed some light on it?

african_child
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
....I also heard that to get some sort of residency permit or something like that you need to have a bank account over there...can someone confirm this or shed some light on it?

It's pretty much easy to get a bank account once you're here (by "here" I mean Hungary, not Pecs only.) For a residency permit, you would need the following:
1. Bank account statement (this is where the whole bank account issue rises)
2. Proof that you are duly admitted in the university and you're active for the said semester. This proof can be easily secured from the university. It's just an official paper saying you're an active full-time student of the university.
3. A copy of the contract between you and your landlord/lady or the school hostel. Besides you and your lessor's signature on the contract, there has to be AT LEAST a signature of a witness (who can be anyone eg your friend.) But if you already live in the hostels, the school will take care of that.
4. One paid gas or electricity bill just to confirm your address.
5. Citizenship Passport
6. 1or 2 passport photographs
7. Some payment in the post office in the form of stamps (I've forgotten the exact amount)
8. Your filled & signed residency application form

Of course, the above is for non-EU students. If you're from the EU, it gets easier. Much easier. Also, these are what are asked at the Debrecen Immigration office. I doubt much if there're gonna be any variation at Pecs.
Be aware also that they may pay you a visit (especially if you live in an apartment outside campus). I think it's another form of confirmation of your given address.
Generally, the procedure is easy. You could finish it on a single day if you have all documents ready.
Lastly, I'd wanna add that if you're not from the EU, your visa guarantees you 90 days residency within Hungary (and rest of the Shengen area countries) BUT which you MUST apply for residency permit before the 90 days expire.
Hope this helps.

mspruhan
07-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi,I'm starting in Pecs in September as well. A little bit terrified at the moment, about packing up and heading off to study again. I was looking at everything that needs to be done in registration week. Does anyone have any ideas of where best to find accomodation and is it possible to do house share. By any chance does anyone know usually what time class finishes at on a Friday, cos I'm hoping to get home every 3-4 weeks.

corky
07-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted with info. I'm still a little concerned about the physical education side to it, but if i can swim that's fine. Ill call them just to be sure.

MsPruhan, I guess we will be in the same class. I'm also a bit worried about the move but i think it will be grand. As for accommodation go to the website "studenthousing" website, for some reason I cant post the link. But it has ".hu" at the end. You need to email them to make an appointment to see the apartments.

Also I'm fairly sure we would finish between four and six on a friday, at least that's what the timetable on the website says. Depending on where you live getting home for only a weekend could be difficult, seeing as we can only fly to budapest and have to get a train from there, and this takes time. I am fairly sure that all classes are compulsory so it could be an issue getting back on time.

Post if you have any other questions.

african_child
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Hello guys,
I am a student at Debrecen. And I'm glad to see you guys are going to be students at Pecs pretty soon. First off...a BIG congratulations! However, be aware that the journey has just started and it promises to be one bad-as.s hell of a journey. But it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's just tough.;)
Well, I just wanted to appeal to you guys to continue to post your experiences about Pecs Medical University on this forum. A lot has been said about HU medical schools (oh yeah, a LOT of bad stuffs...lol) especially about Semmelweis and Debrecen. But Pecs and Szeged have little or no representation. This is where you guys come in. I bet this forum helped you in one way or another to paint a picture of what you can expect. Won't you wanna return the favour to other prospective students in the coming years?
I would be very glad to see that all the fours schools have a kind of representation here. It's all about pulling our experiences together on this journal (sorry, I meant forum) for the better good of prospective students.
I myself got a lot of help from this forum from a spirited student of Debrecen whom I later met in the school and continued to help me afterwards. (Well, she's a doc now! YAY!!). We may think we're just putting a few words here, but believe me they go a long way in helping and shaping other people's decision.
Please, BOTH negative and positive views are welcome. It should be a democracy. LOL.
Lastly, I wish you all the best in medical school and I hope you have a wonderful stay here in Hungary. :)

dvzljk s j szerencse! :)

mspruhan
07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi
I'm from Carlow, I assume your from Cork. I was planning on getting home every 3-4 weeks. Flights are a disaster, didn't realise how far pecs is from budapest. do you know anyone else starting? when are you heading over. I'm working nights this week so heading over with my boyfriend nxt week for a look around. Was thinking of asking could i stay in college hostel place until i get bearings.

corky
07-21-2010, 01:47 PM
yup i'm from cork. its good to know another irish soul is going. if you were at that thing in dublin we probably met there.

Getting back and forth will be a problem when you think about it. all lectures and stuff are compulsory, so lets say we finish at 5 on a friday, you then have to get a 3 hour train to budapest. there probably wont be any flights until saturday. then the last train back from budapest may be at seven or eight sunday evening so you would have to leave early sunday morning. thats best case if there are flights and trains on sunday.

I dont wish to discourage you or anything but i just wanted you to have an idea because im pretty much in the same boat.

the hostels are expensive enough to stay in for too long. i was going to go over for four or five days soon to get accommodation and other stuff sorted, come back for a few weeks and then go for good on the last week of august.

oh and to africanchild; i have no problem adding bits and pieces about the place or help out. it is true, that most of the info i got was from this forum. I have a question for you. from what ive read people have been saying that med in hungary is really hard. from your experience is it like anything else, that once you put the work in is it possible?? are there any tips you can give??

i have no idea what you said at the end (hungarian is hard, very very hard) but same to you buddy.

african_child
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
oh and to africanchild; i have no problem adding bits and pieces about the place or help out. it is true, that most of the info i got was from this forum. I have a question for you. from what ive read people have been saying that med in hungary is really hard. from your experience is it like anything else, that once you put the work in is it possible?? are there any tips you can give??

i have no idea what you said at the end (hungarian is hard, very very hard) but same to you buddy.

Hi
I believe you know what you're up against the moment you took that decision to study medicine. So I'll do away with the clichs of telling you how hard medical school is. You already know this. Everyone does. Medicine is not for the faint-hearted.
However, all the fuss about HU medical schools being exceptionally hard (or medical schools in Eastern Europe for that matter) may not be unconnected to the their adopted systems. Be aware that a lot of exams are oral. You will be given topics for which you have to cover before your exams. And during the exams, you will randomly pick a topic to be examined from the ones earlier given to you. Picture the way they do the World Cup draws. Got it?
So, to be on a safe side, you have to be really thorough. You have to cover as much as you can on every topic. And this takes a lot of time (which, depending on how you see it, you may or may not have). Don't forget, you also have to revise them over and over again...just for the stuff to get stuck. This can be one of the reasons the schools are, well as everyone thinks, hard. Imagine a scenario where you haven't covered all topics and you picked a topic from what you haven't covered. No matter how much you know about the other topics you covered, the examiner will only assess you based on the topic you picked. This is where some students claim that they have been unfairly treated. Have you started connecting the dots on why there has been so many negative comments about HU medical schools so far?
However, there're other examinations that are just the usual written form. They can come in the form of multiple choice questions (MCQs), True or False, One true or false statement and, my worst nightmare, REASONING!!!
Only VERY few courses require essays. (In Debrecen, only the Biochemistry Dept sometimes require essays, especially in the Lab tests).

Well, about tips. I know that different students have different methods that work for them. What works for me might not necessarily be the best for you and vice versa. So, my very 1st tip is to know what works for you best and go with it. Be serious right from day one. Try to get as many exemptions as possible by doing great in your mid-term tests. Others are socialize with other students of nationalities other than yours (you'd be surprised how some students only stick with their own). Be "campus-wise" and look out for available past papers to practice with. Pay attention during anatomy dissections and try to practice tracing nerves, muscles or blood vessels yourself. The same goes for trying to identify histology slides on your own under the microscope with the help of both your teacher and your textbooks. There're other students' or teachers' notes that can be useful. But personally, I read the teachers' lecture slides first then textbooks then these notes. Manage your time. Know when to be in the club or out messing around with friends and when to be in your apartment or school reading. Try not to give any more than the time it deserves.
Well, these are what work for me. But like I pointed out earlier, there're different strokes for different folks(?). Plus, I'm a student at Debrecen, not Pecs. Some stuffs here may not apply to Pecs.
Lastly, expect to put in a lot from yourself. There's isn't the so-called spoon-feeding here.
I know you'd do fine. You already sound like it. :)

BTW, I appreciate your interest in putting in your experiences over here. There's no help that is too little.

P.S: What I typed in Hungarian (Magyar) translates roughly into "Welcome and good luck." Yes, Magyar is hard for native English speakers. But you'll pick up as you move along. C'mon, every other person around you speaks Hungarian once you step outside the campus :(

larvin
07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I was planning on getting home every 3-4 weeks. Flights are a disaster, didn't realise how far pecs is from budapest.

yo I'm a 5th year student at POTE

Sounds like you did your research ;)... Im not gonna judge, but going home every 3-4 weeks is VERY optimistic. On top of studies and every day life you will find it to be quite the effort to do that tedious trip so often, disregarding what is in it for you.

@corky: I've seen a couple of your posts and you seem quite stressed about this. Max one month and you should be totally settled, and I'm expecting sh#t to hit the fan a couple times... Just pay your tuition and be there in time to find an apartment (a couple weeks before is best)

larvin
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, about tips. I know that different students have different methods that work for them. What works for me might not necessarily be the best for you and vice versa. So, my very 1st tip is to know what works for you best and go with it. Be serious right from day one. Try to get as many exemptions as possible by doing great in your mid-term tests. Others are socialize with other students of nationalities other than yours (you'd be surprised how some students only stick with their own). Be "campus-wise" and look out for available past papers to practice with. Pay attention during anatomy dissections and try to practice tracing nerves, muscles or blood vessels yourself. The same goes for trying to identify histology slides on your own under the microscope with the help of both your teacher and your textbooks. There're other students' or teachers' notes that can be useful. But personally, I read the teachers' lecture slides first then textbooks then these notes. Manage your time. Know when to be in the club or out messing around with friends and when to be in your apartment or school reading. Try not to give any more than the time it deserves.

Very well said! I am convinced this is the best studying medicine in hungary in a nut shell guide

I was a cr ap student before I started at POTE. I tried my best with the whole exemption thing, but I like to say that if you study for a 5 you always get the 2!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.