PDA

View Full Version : Help with dilemna please!



rocko101878
07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I did not apply for any U.S. MD programs last year, and only was able to get my application in for a couple of D.O. programs at the end of the cycle last year, and unfortunately did not get accepted.

Here is my dilemna.....I was accepted for the Saba January 2011 class. While I personally like Saba the most of the Caribbean schools, I would still prefer to attend a LCME MD program, or a DO program. Since I will be able to apply early this year, should I try to push my Saba acceptance back to the May 2010 semester and attend if not accepted into a LCME MD or DO program this year? Honestly, if I get any interviews, I may get them before the January class starts, but I'm sure I will not get any acceptances (if I was lucky enough to get one, period).

I have a 3.3 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, and 19Q MCAT (this is what's killing me, I don't know what happened!)
In addition, I have a ton of great LOR's, as well as volunteer hours, and a 3.5 graduate GPA.

There are a few U.S. DO programs whose average MCAT's are close to what I got, and I was considering applying to those. In addition, I was considering applying to the schools in Puerto Rico, b/c I am fluent in Spanish, and their avg. MCAT is around 18, so I may be more competitive at one of these.

I will be 32 once I start school, so I am starting to reach the age where I really don't want to spend years applying to US schools to continually get denied. I can't find a ton of admissions info concerning the Puerto Rican schools......are they harder to get into, than their 18 MCAT avg. would suggest? I am just trying to decide whether to go ahead and attend Saba and get the ball rolling, or if my stats, I might have a decent change to get into one of the U.S. or Puerto Rican schools? Thanks to any who respond.

seattle
07-19-2010, 01:49 PM
I would highly suggest you re-take the MCAT after having prepared well this time around (such as a Kaplan course if financially feasible). A 19Q is not sufficient for admission to any D.O. or M.D. program in the U.S. Although standards do vary at D.O. schools, one is not competitive until the MCAT score begins to creep up to about 24 on the low end (with a 8,8,8 subsection spread on the exam).

For an M.D. program, one needs to exceed a composite score of 27 on the very low end (9,9,9 subsection scores) but more realistically 30+ composite score.

Saba tends to be more lenient with the MCAT scores if your science GPA exceeds 3.00 and the prerequisites are recent and taken a a university setting (as opposed to a community college). Note that the MCAT at Saba is optional -versus at AUC, SGU and Ross (mandatory).

I understand the age issue - however I believe I am accurate in steering you to retake the MCAT with a score of 24+ in order to gain a foot in the door with some D.O. programs. Remember, these programs are getting extremely popular and hence very competitive in recent years.

If not, then you are welcome to come to Saba!

payme2
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Come to Saba! Life is awesome on the island. And you're not getting any younger and every year it gets more competitive to match.

Lowbo
07-19-2010, 07:21 PM
come to Saba! drink beer! party! go to med school!

kryptique
07-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I have almost identical undergrad GPAs and a 30-something MCAT. I never applied to any Canadian or American medical schools because of my GPA, but was accepted to Saba.

I have to agree with Seattle: retake the MCAT & (if your get a decent score) apply to U.S. med schools. You are extremely lucky to have that option as an American citizen; standards are stricter for international applicants. Besides, what is one more year in the long run? You may save yourself a lot of trouble from relocating to Saba and matching back to the States in the future. Defer, retake, & decide.

That being said, I'm going to Saba & plan to work my bum off. ;) Good luck. I hope we can be colleagues in the future.







Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.