PDA

View Full Version : Warsaw Vs. Everywhere else?

minahargow
07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I went overboard and applied to pretty much every 4yr med school in Poland and ended up getting into all of em. Now I'm faced w/ the delightful yet surprisingly stressful dilemma of having to CHOOSE! I've narrowed it down to Poznan vs. Warsaw. Warsaw seems to be the better city, being the capital and all (more modernized, more foreigners/tourists, etc.). However, Poznan's english program has been around longer, even if only by a couple years.

So....can anyone give me some big Pros and Cons about either school to sway my decision?

blue085
07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey minahargow!

Congrats on getting accepted to all the programs!!

I have also applied for the University of Warsaw 4 year program and was just wondering how they informed you of their decision? Was it an email or a letter in the mail?

Molecule of Life
07-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Isn't Jagellionian the best?

Ronaldo9
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey Blue085,

Noticed you're from Canada. Just curious as to what type of plan you have for post graduating from the program? Do you intend to try and come back here?

Not to demoralize you, but I was talking to an IMG who got accepted to his residency at UBC and he basically told me that there are 2 spots for IMG's a year in all of Canada. It really did scare me - as I hope one day in the far future to come back.

Anyways, would love to hear if you don't mind sharing. Thanks and best of luck :)

R9

blue085
07-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey Ronaldo9,

I have read a few really scary stats as well with regards to coming back home to practice, however everyone says that it is hard but not impossible. I think that 2 spots seems a bit extreme but could be true for that year maybe..from my understanding it seems that if you are willing to go up north you maybe able to get a residency spot. It would be pretty amazing to come back however I figured that with an EU recognized degree why not stay in Europe for a couple of years for experience then try to head over to North America :P

Its all plans right now though..I received my acceptance email to Uni of Warsaw yesterday and hoping to see if I get in anywhere else too then the tough part or deciding what to do haha

Are you in Poland already or thinking about it? Where abouts in Canada are you? :)

Ronaldo9
07-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Hey Blue085,

You are right. I have done some more research and although it is very tough, it is achievable. I was talking to another doctor today. she is practicing in Canada, but she advised me to even look into transferring into a medical school in the Arabian Gulf, or do my residency there. Reason... They are in real bad need for good doctors, they pay handsomely and the weather is always great. Places like... Bahrain, Quatar, Dubai etc. and like you said... get few years of experience, live it up, learn a language, travel and then try coming back.

Anyways, I am in Vancouver right now. Waiting to hear from Warsaw, they needed some more paper work from me few days ago, so I guess its pending.
Congrats on your acceptance though - u must be excited.

eric3221
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey how did you guys find out you were accepted? Did you call the front office? I heard that decisions were not going to be made until Thursday.

realPolak
07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
miedzy ta a owa polska szkola medyczna.
To tak jak doszukiwac sie roznicy w stylu jazdy kierowcow w zachodniej i wschodniej Polsce (czytaj: nie ma istotnej roznicy).
W jednej szkole lepsza bedzie fizjologia, w innej np. histologia. Zeby zdac USMLE uczyc sie trzeba bedzie samemu i polegac na sobie. Jezeli kto mysli, ze w amerykanskich szkolach jest inaczej, to sie myli.
Jedyna roznica jest klinika, bo nigdzie nie ucza kliniki tak dobrze, jak w USA.

DOCTORONTHEWAY
08-02-2010, 10:46 AM
In my opinion(after visiting both schools) and from what I was told by many doctors definitely take Warsaw over Poznan.

devildoc8404
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
transferring into a medical school in the Arabian Gulf, or do my residency there. Reason... They are in real bad need for good doctors, they pay handsomely and the weather is always great. Places like... Bahrain, Quatar, Dubai etc. and like you said... get few years of experience, live it up, learn a language, travel and then try coming back.

Bear in mind that:
1) Overseas residency training does not transfer back. Unless you relish the idea of completing residency twice, that can be a big issue.
2) Yes, sunshine is nice... but 120 degrees F is not fun.
3) Returning to Canada after earning an overseas MD is brutal.

devildoc8404
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Congrats on your acceptance!

Jagiellonian is the best English program in Poland. After that it's probably something of a toss-up, although I would probably pick Warsaw if I couldn't go to Jag.

I went overboard and applied to pretty much every 4yr med school in Poland and ended up getting into all of em. Now I'm faced w/ the delightful yet surprisingly stressful dilemma of having to CHOOSE! I've narrowed it down to Poznan vs. Warsaw. Warsaw seems to be the better city, being the capital and all (more modernized, more foreigners/tourists, etc.). However, Poznan's english program has been around longer, even if only by a couple years.

So....can anyone give me some big Pros and Cons about either school to sway my decision?

Savior
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey Blue085,

You are right. I have done some more research and although it is very tough, it is achievable. I was talking to another doctor today. she is practicing in Canada, but she advised me to even look into transferring into a medical school in the Arabian Gulf, or do my residency there. Reason... They are in real bad need for good doctors, they pay handsomely and the weather is always great. Places like... Bahrain, Quatar, Dubai etc. and like you said... get few years of experience, live it up, learn a language, travel and then try coming back.

Anyways, I am in Vancouver right now. Waiting to hear from Warsaw, they needed some more paper work from me few days ago, so I guess its pending.
Congrats on your acceptance though - u must be excited.

Wow, your friend was not kind to you, the emirates do not have reputable med schools, and they do not want people doing recidency there, they do however pay handsomely if you decide to go there and work after your recidency.
Best thing you can do after your studes is to stay within the commonwealth, pref UK, then trying to work your way back to CA
And btw, its the PERSIAN gulf....the arabian SEA is another oceanographical location :-smiley7

Marquitos
09-14-2010, 11:36 PM

I just had to congradulate you dude! It's like a dream come true -- only now you're living it and it's not how you drempt it heh...if in doubt you can never go wrong with MUW.

slick27
11-22-2010, 12:50 AM
how competitive are the polish medical school to get into? I was dismissed from a US DO program recently, would I stand a chance at an acceptance to one of the med schools in Poland??

realPolak
11-30-2010, 07:27 AM
how competitive are the polish medical school to get into? I was dismissed from a US DO program recently, would I stand a chance at an acceptance to one of the med schools in Poland??

They are "not competitive" for those who will pay tuition in the so-called English language programs.

sharpieaccent
11-30-2010, 08:04 AM
interesting

slick27
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
how expensive is the tuition for these programs? How tough is it to get a residency??

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.