PDA

View Full Version : IM/FP dilemma

Retaliation
07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey all, pretty soon I hope to be applying for residency and I had some random thoughts and figured I'd throw them out here to see if I could get any answers.

So I've researched the differences between IM and FP to death and I've come to the conclusion that I'd be perfectly happy with either. From looking at the match list for the past few years it seems FP is a very popular field for SMU students. Do most people apply IM with FP backup and simply end up with FP, or do most of the ppl who get FP only apply to FP?

Also, from the various program websites I've been to, it seems the requirements for FP are lower than IM's. I scored a 94 on step 1, just took cs awhile ago and am taking ck in august. So given the fact that either field would be fine with me, would I be selling myself short by shooting for FP and not IM? If the thought of a fellowship ever comes into my mind it would be something short like geriatrics, and both IM and FP can go into it, so the whole fellowship thing doesn't bother me.

Another random question - from what I've heard different programs can look at what other programs you've applied to and can tell if you're serious about a particular field. However the attending I just finished up with told me that programs can't look at what you apply to and he recommended me to just apply to both, but I don't know if thats a good idea or not.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

azulpanther
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
They are both great fields. Depends on what you want to do.

Programs cannot find out where you applied. However you can volunteer that information to them. Make sure not to volunteer this information. Programs dont like applicants that apply to different specialties. Tell the IM programs u are only going for IM, while telling the family programs that you are only going for family.

Good luck to u

ALB123
07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Completely agree with the above, they can't find out where else you applied or to what other specialty you applied. Whatever you do, don't even hint that you like anything else but the field you are interviewing for. A few programs asked me what other specialties I applied to.

FM/IM differences:
FM is much more broad, you can do OB stuff, Peds, you even get OR time, and lots of ER time also.. you are supposed to know how everything works in the medical field. Fellowships are few...
IM is less general but also very vast, much more options for fellowships, large intern classes, lots of preliminary positions. IM is a more focused field than FM, in my opinion.

Overall I think there are more IM positions than FM? Not really sure. I applied to FM and a few surg programs last year.. I did not match into any FM and ended up in surgery.. talk about a tough year..

anyway.. best of luck.. apply to FM/IM.. tell each place you interview that you are only interested in their specific specialty.

good luck

senz_asian
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
The end result from IM or FM really depends on what you wanna do. If you ur ultimate goal is a private practice and settle down and have a decent life, then it really does NOT make a difference. However, if you like to have half private practice and half hospitalist, then IM is a much better choice since not every hospital would grant privileges to FM docs. Now, if you are uncertain whether you're gonna specialize later on cause you can't make up you mind right now, then do NOT get into FM. Either way, with the Obama reform, primary care will be very hot in a very near future so it really doesn't matter much to most people whom are only interested in primary care.

cheers! :peace:

wilcomp6
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
What about if you apply for both programs in the same hospital. Will they find out?

senz_asian
07-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Nope, I applied to IM/FM in the same hospital and got interviewed in both. However, if you are recognized by the people who just interviewed you, that may hurt your chance. I was lucky cause the senior resident who supposed to interview me for FM couldn't make it, therefore when I got back for IM, I bumped into him but he did not know me, so that was a close call!

:faint:

What about if you apply for both programs in the same hospital. Will they find out?

wilcomp6
07-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Thank you, Now I can apply for more programs.

Nope, I applied to IM/FM in the same hospital and got interviewed in both. However, if you are recognized by the people who just interviewed you, that may hurt your chance. I was lucky cause the senior resident who supposed to interview me for FM couldn't make it, therefore when I got back for IM, I bumped into him but he did not know me, so that was a close call!

:faint:

jackets5
08-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Hey all, pretty soon I hope to be applying for residency and I had some random thoughts and figured I'd throw them out here to see if I could get any answers.

So I've researched the differences between IM and FP to death and I've come to the conclusion that I'd be perfectly happy with either. From looking at the match list for the past few years it seems FP is a very popular field for SMU students. Do most people apply IM with FP backup and simply end up with FP, or do most of the ppl who get FP only apply to FP?

Also, from the various program websites I've been to, it seems the requirements for FP are lower than IM's. I scored a 94 on step 1, just took cs awhile ago and am taking ck in august. So given the fact that either field would be fine with me, would I be selling myself short by shooting for FP and not IM? If the thought of a fellowship ever comes into my mind it would be something short like geriatrics, and both IM and FP can go into it, so the whole fellowship thing doesn't bother me.

Another random question - from what I've heard different programs can look at what other programs you've applied to and can tell if you're serious about a particular field. However the attending I just finished up with told me that programs can't look at what you apply to and he recommended me to just apply to both, but I don't know if thats a good idea or not.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Not sure what a 94 is since that number changes every year. But it is still a good score and you will be competitive for both IM and FM, assuming your Step 2 is good.

MD999
08-07-2010, 01:05 AM

In larger hospitals if you apply for both, they might not find out.

However with the smaller hospitals, the different program coordinators and residents might talk to each other, and it might come up that you were applying to both.

So be careful.
It gets harder if they both offer you a prematch.... :cool:

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.