PDA

View Full Version : uk citizen, us resident, us educated, wants uk residency

sailmyownracemd
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I am a UK citizen with permanent resident status in the US and have received my MD in the US. I am wondering if it is possible for me to obtain a residency or employment in the UK having not resided in the UK for some time now. From the limited research I've done so far it appears that I would be considered a non-EU IMG with no preferential pathways for training in the UK. Can anyone advise me about this?

dreamer2011
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey ,

As you are a UK citizen you will be eligible for specialty training in the UK, just like any other UK citizen who graduated from a UK school and you will be competing with them for the training positions that exist.
However, as you rightly said,you are considered a non-EU/UK IMG and this will affect how you proceed with obtaining registration with the General Medical Council (GMC).
You will be required to sit and pass the PLAB exams in order be registered as a doctor with the GMC (part 1 is a multiple choice exam that tests at the level expected of someone who has completed an internship / FY1 position. part 2 is the clinical exam...a bit like the USMLE step 2CK).

chipmunk!
10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Why is it that UK citizens graduating outside of Europe have to take the PLAB but European citizens graduating outside Europe don't have to take the PLAB!?

Does anyone know if this silly rule is going to be corrected anytime soon? It gives preferential treatment to Europeans over British citizens.

Also I wanted to know what it means to have EC rights (as described on the GMC website) and whether British citizens have it by default. According to the GMC website, Brits graduating outside Europe do not need to take the PLAB as long as they have EC rights with proof to show this. Anyone understand what this means?

futurembbs
02-10-2011, 12:51 PM
EEC Rights means provided you have a valid british passport - then you are automatically an EEC citizen.

chipmunk!
02-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Yes but the GMC website differentiates between British citizens who have EC rights and British citizens who do no have EC rights.

Anyone know what the difference is?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.