PDA

View Full Version : Ross vs. SGU

willscarlett
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I've read some of the older Ross vs. SGU threads, but I'm wondering from current Ross students, why did you choose Ross over SGU? I've been accepted into SGU and just had my Ross interview two days ago on Monday. For anyone in their first semester, are you happy with your choice of Ross?

One reason I ask is because while the program at Ross is reputed to be excellent - my uncle graduated in 1992 and has done very well for himself - I've heard more negatives about Ross than perhaps any other school. For example...

a) Ross overloads each class by 33%
b) There's not much available in terms of emotional and academic support once you're down in St. Kitts. Once you give Ross your money, you're basically on your own
c) I've heard some difficulties with clinicals and rotations, but that's been more in the MD program than the DVM program.

During my interview, the interviewer spoke to the contrary of the questions, which was good to hear, but I'd appreciate anything that anyone has to say.

Thanks!

willscarlett
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Also, can anyone shed any light as to if there are still any unethical surgeries being performed at Ross Vet School, such as what was being done with dogs, as well as the killing of other healthy animals, such as donkeys?

I just came across the article reporting this from 2008. Have things changed since then?

Trillium
06-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Also, can anyone shed any light as to if there are still any unethical surgeries being performed at Ross Vet School, such as what was being done with dogs, as well as the killing of other healthy animals, such as donkeys?

I just came across the article reporting this from 2008. Have things changed since then?

What? How could they expect anyone who loved animals to do that? Do you have a link?

willscarlett
06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I have a link, but haven't made enough posts to be able to post links. I'll try and private message it to you and you can try posting it.

willscarlett
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Here's an excerpt from the article:

At Ross University, students needlessly cut open the stomachs, intestines, and urinary bladders of nearly 100 healthy dogs every year, among other horrors. After PETA's protests, the school ended its cruel dog surgeries and now only perform beneficial spay and neuter training procedures on dogs. However, other animals are still being needlessly mutilated and killed.

Distraught Ross students sent PETA undercover photographs that show sheep who suffered from infected wounds caused by tissue removal and improperly sutured skin flaps. Ross students sever the nerves in donkeys' toes, cut their ligaments, insert a plastic tube through their noses and into their stomachs, surgically puncture their abdomens, cut their tracheas (or windpipes), and remove fluid from their joints. Afterward, the donkeys are killed so that students can practice amputating animals' bones and drilling into or scraping animals' skulls.

willscarlett
06-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Here's an excerpt from the article, which was from 2008:

At Ross University, students needlessly cut open the stomachs, intestines, and urinary bladders of nearly 100 healthy dogs every year, among other horrors. After PETA's protests, the school ended its cruel dog surgeries and now only perform beneficial spay and neuter training procedures on dogs. However, other animals are still being needlessly mutilated and killed.

Distraught Ross students sent PETA undercover photographs that show sheep who suffered from infected wounds caused by tissue removal and improperly sutured skin flaps. Ross students sever the nerves in donkeys' toes, cut their ligaments, insert a plastic tube through their noses and into their stomachs, surgically puncture their abdomens, cut their tracheas (or windpipes), and remove fluid from their joints. Afterward, the donkeys are killed so that students can practice amputating animals' bones and drilling into or scraping animals' skulls.

JonathanMD
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm at the med school on Dominica, but yeah, I remember reading about that before I started.

From what (little) I know, Ross announced that they wouldn't be doing any of that anymore. This all happened a few years ago when PETA was going after them.

(I've only ever heard of students being required to put down an animal and then learn from its body, not the rest of that stuff.)

strawberriemllk
12-19-2010, 03:02 AM
I have read that Ross has stop terminal surgeries.

strawberriemllk
12-19-2010, 03:04 AM
May I ask between which of the schools you decided on attending and why? I'm in the same boat and I am so confused at to which school I good go to.

Noosh
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Guys

I am in the same step as most of you were: choosing which med schoo to got to SGU or Ross. I have look through most blogs and it seems that SGU is the best, but before I make that decision I have a question about Ross..

So Ross clams that they started in 1978 and they also clam that they had 7500 graduates (last one in june 2010)..So here is the question: if Ross has been around for 32 years and let say they took 300 student for each semester (I don't know how many they take but I just made a quess that would be close to 300) and they say they have 3 semesters (right), that means they should have 28,800 gradutes!! what happen to 21300 students...Let say about 10,000 droped or fail but what about 11,300 other?? The numbers just does not make sense..:confused:

Let say they took 300 each year: that mean they should still have 9600 graduates not 7500???:confused: If they clam that they USMLE pass rate is 70% (base on article of the last 15 years usmle pass rate in Ross) then what happen to the students???

I am just scared that these schools end up taking all loan money from me and let me hanging with nothing :cry: then my life will be round forever...

Would you guys be able to let me know what you think and give me your opinion..

Thank you

futuregasdoc
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Guys

I am in the same step as most of you were: choosing which med schoo to got to SGU or Ross. I have look through most blogs and it seems that SGU is the best, but before I make that decision I have a question about Ross..

So Ross clams that they started in 1978 and they also clam that they had 7500 graduates (last one in june 2010)..So here is the question: if Ross has been around for 32 years and let say they took 300 student for each semester (I don't know how many they take but I just made a quess that would be close to 300) and they say they have 3 semesters (right), that means they should have 28,800 gradutes!! what happen to 21300 students...Let say about 10,000 droped or fail but what about 11,300 other?? The numbers just does not make sense..:confused:

Let say they took 300 each year: that mean they should still have 9600 graduates not 7500???:confused: If they clam that they USMLE pass rate is 70% (base on article of the last 15 years usmle pass rate in Ross) then what happen to the students???

I am just scared that these schools end up taking all loan money from me and let me hanging with nothing :cry: then my life will be round forever...

Would you guys be able to let me know what you think and give me your opinion..

Thank you

Good point. The simple answer to your question is that Ross didn't start with 300 students a semester. I believe the first class had about 49 grads. It began to increase slowly. I've read this somewhere before.

Noosh
02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you so much for you answer..Now it make more sense...So how many students they take now?? when did they start taking so many students.. Are you studying in Ross or SGU?? If you are going to Ross, do you like it there?? Why everyone keep talking about failing?? I never failed any class in my life and I have GPA of 3.7, but I am worried that they make it so hard that most people fail (that way they get some money for first and second semester drop outs and end up with right number of student for rotation 3rd and 4th semester)... Would you be able to give me your opinion on this so I can make my final choice with confident..Thank you so much for your help..

Vet2Be
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi, I am future vet student as well and have been emailing Ross alum on the topics I have been reading here. Following are a couple excerpts from emails I have received from past Ross alum that are successfully practicing in small clinics. We all keep hearing all this negative feedback about Ross and nothing negative about SGU, so I would like to add this to the topic and hopefully it helps in our search for the right school. I have come to realize that all the negativity comes from those that have flunked out for whatever reasons and we never ever hear or read from successful students. I have been accepted into AUA and really cannot wait to begin my studies but I am applying to Ross as a back up in case my student loans do not work out.

So here goes.....

" OK - I would not say the school "tries" to flunk you out but it is true that a higher percentage of students flunk out of Ross than US schools. A lot of that is that they will give a chance to students who wouldn't be able to get into US schools - so some of the people they "gamble" on pay off so to speak, but many just cannot handle the curriculum (or don't put in the work necessary) and so do fail. I started with about 120 students in my class. About 10 -15 transferred to US schools, maybe 15 -20 ended up in classes behind us but graduated, and approx 20+ failed out entirely. So we graduated with about 70 in my class. Remember you can fail a class (and therefore a semester) and still continue in the curriculum - you must repeat that sem., but many people do have to repeat a semester and still go on to successfully complete the curriculum and graduate. In terms of the profs, they are almost to a person incredibly accommodating in terms of meeting with students for extra help, holding review sessions, etc. In terms of summer jobs the $ benefit is fairly minimal - your loans will indeed cover everything (the amounts are daunting when you get out!) the downside is not being able to get that extra real-world experience during summers. Summer jobs that US students get to do are really just a plus, certainly not a real need - you will have time for externships during your 4th (clinical) year to get some of that additional experience. Going away to one of the Caribbean schools is scary but it is also a really exciting, fun, and life-changing experience!!"

"In terms of not being spoon-fed - yes, it is similar to the students being left on their own - what one might consider not being spoon-fed, another might consider abandonment! But I do think that is more of an issue for the younger students - my recollection of college was that I was responsible for my own learning then, and vet school was the same. Younger students though I think might be used to more hand-holding. The professors will not "dumb-down" the material and you are expected to have a handle on the material, keep up with reading, pay attention in class, participate if appropriate, etc. That being said, if you need help profs will help, but you need to seek them out. Hope that helps!!"

sisyphus
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi, I am future vet student as well and have been emailing Ross alum on the topics I have been reading here. Following are a couple excerpts from emails I have received from past Ross alum that are successfully practicing in small clinics. We all keep hearing all this negative feedback about Ross and nothing negative about SGU, so I would like to add this to the topic and hopefully it helps in our search for the right school. I have come to realize that all the negativity comes from those that have flunked out for whatever reasons and we never ever hear or read from successful students. I have been accepted into AUA and really cannot wait to begin my studies but I am applying to Ross as a back up in case my student loans do not work out.

So here goes.....

" OK - I would not say the school "tries" to flunk you out but it is true that a higher percentage of students flunk out of Ross than US schools. A lot of that is that they will give a chance to students who wouldn't be able to get into US schools - so some of the people they "gamble" on pay off so to speak, but many just cannot handle the curriculum (or don't put in the work necessary) and so do fail. I started with about 120 students in my class. About 10 -15 transferred to US schools, maybe 15 -20 ended up in classes behind us but graduated, and approx 20+ failed out entirely. So we graduated with about 70 in my class. Remember you can fail a class (and therefore a semester) and still continue in the curriculum - you must repeat that sem., but many people do have to repeat a semester and still go on to successfully complete the curriculum and graduate. In terms of the profs, they are almost to a person incredibly accommodating in terms of meeting with students for extra help, holding review sessions, etc. In terms of summer jobs the $ benefit is fairly minimal - your loans will indeed cover everything (the amounts are daunting when you get out!) the downside is not being able to get that extra real-world experience during summers. Summer jobs that US students get to do are really just a plus, certainly not a real need - you will have time for externships during your 4th (clinical) year to get some of that additional experience. Going away to one of the Caribbean schools is scary but it is also a really exciting, fun, and life-changing experience!!"

"In terms of not being spoon-fed - yes, it is similar to the students being left on their own - what one might consider not being spoon-fed, another might consider abandonment! But I do think that is more of an issue for the younger students - my recollection of college was that I was responsible for my own learning then, and vet school was the same. Younger students though I think might be used to more hand-holding. The professors will not "dumb-down" the material and you are expected to have a handle on the material, keep up with reading, pay attention in class, participate if appropriate, etc. That being said, if you need help profs will help, but you need to seek them out. Hope that helps!!"

Pretty good info. There were several students at SGU who had failed out of Ross and if you just went by what they said, Ross was an evil entity. It's all a matter of perspective. Out of my class, we lost about 10% to either decel or failing out. In fact, one person who failed out ended up at another Carib school, and from what I heard was bad-mouthing SGU there.

Noosh
02-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Thank you guys, all this messages make me feel better about going to caribbean's schools...But, now that both schools will get me to Md then it make sense to go to Ross which is cheaper than SGU by $50,000 or so right?? which school trains their students better to pass USMLE tests..Do both school use the same books and material to train students to pass USMLE???

sisyphus
02-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Thank you guys, all this messages make me feel better about going to caribbean's schools...But, now that both schools will get me to Md then it make sense to go to Ross which is cheaper than SGU by $50,000 or so right?? which school trains their students better to pass USMLE tests..Do both school use the same books and material to train students to pass USMLE???

I picked up on this from one of your earlier posts when you mentioned the USMLE. You are posting in threads dedicated to the study of Veterinary Medicine, not human Medicine. All comments and replies you've read here pertain to Vet Med only.

For the MD forums here at valuemd.com

Ross Forum (http://www.valuemd.com/ross-university-school-medicine/)

SGU Forum (http://www.valuemd.com/st-georges-university-school-medicine/)

You would be much better served to seek info at these locations.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.