PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering Problem

thelullaby99
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm in a situation where I'm not allowed to do volunteering outside my major, because I'm from an engineering program so obviously I can't go to apply for some clinical volunteering. The thing is, I'm on F-1 visa here. I just spoke to my advisor and she said that I can't do anything off-campus, and if I must, it must be related to engineering. I want to apply for Saba, but the school requires 50 hrs of volunteering. How do any of the int'l people like me get accepted? I feel so discouraged by this. No volunteering allowed, then how am I going to apply to any medical school right?:noidea:

payme2
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Go to your medschool's hospital. Alot of our undergraduates will volunteer at the medschool's hospital. They are used to taking volunteers that do not have a SSN [lots of foreign student volunteers].
There was a foreign student waiting to get TB shots at the clinic (one of the requriements to volunteer), when he didn't have a social security number, they just made one up on the spot. He got his TB shots and his ID badge to volunteer.

And our school's hospital was not hurting for volunteers. We had so many volunteers that alot of just sat on our butts and read magazines.

You should definately go to your school's hospital. Or you can always call up random doctors and ask to shadow them.

Tipton
06-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.