PDA

View Full Version : Residency in Europe

FrankStarling
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Can anyone offer any insight on if we can practice in Europe?
Thanks

RPhtoMD
06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Not gona happen any time soon!....I could atempt to explain the complexities, but it would take hours, but the reality is that Europe has so many variables in play. I have an EU passport myself and thought about this option. For example in the UK you will never get a junior house training spot coming directly from SABA, even if you hold a european or british passport--Not gona happen!....,Mainland europe is just as tough my freind, unless you wana work by the black sea!....doesn't matter that SABA will be a dutch province as of 10:10:10 (if that goes thru on time)-- Because the system is vastly different. Saba is not meant to train Dutch doctors. SABA's position is to train off shore medical students for the American system, not for Europe, and that is the position that the dutch authorities will stand by given the change in the political system. Saba will not lead to EU licensure now or anytime soon!,...It is approved for the equivalent of an American medical degree, not to pracitce in London, Paris or Munich. If you wana go to Europe...well if your grades are good, check out Imperial College in London, or University College London, RCPS Dublin, University of Edinburgh, Manchester University. --- I know all of these schools have specific 4 year progams for MD studens wit an undergrad degree. If your grades suck, then don't bother coming here, we don't need you---joke!.
HOWEVER, IF YOU DO WELL AT SABA, IT WILL GIVE YOU A GREAT SHOT AT GETTING A RESIDENCY IN NORTH AMERICA (US/CANADA)..WHICH WILL LEAD YOU TO GETTING LICENSED...AND THEN HAVE THE POSSIBILITY IN WORKING IN EUROPE IF YOU CHOOSE!....

sandyjay
06-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Not gona happen any time soon!....I could atempt to explain the complexities, but it would take hours, but the reality is that Europe has so many variables in play. I have an EU passport myself and thought about this option. For example in the UK you will never get a junior house training spot coming directly from SABA, even if you hold a european or british passport--Not gona happen!....,Mainland europe is just as tough my freind, unless you wana work by the black sea!....doesn't matter that SABA will be a dutch province as of 10:10:10 (if that goes thru on time)-- Because the system is vastly different. Saba is not meant to train Dutch doctors. SABA's position is to train off shore medical students for the American system, not for Europe, and that is the position that the dutch authorities will stand by given the change in the political system. Saba will not lead to EU licensure now or anytime soon!,...It is approved for the equivalent of an American medical degree, not to pracitce in London, Paris or Munich. If you wana go to Europe...well if your grades are good, check out Imperial College in London, or University College London, RCPS Dublin, University of Edinburgh, Manchester University. --- I know all of these schools have specific 4 year progams for MD studens wit an undergrad degree. If your grades suck, then don't bother coming here, we don't need you---joke!.
HOWEVER, IF YOU DO WELL AT SABA, IT WILL GIVE YOU A GREAT SHOT AT GETTING A RESIDENCY IN NORTH AMERICA (US/CANADA)..WHICH WILL LEAD YOU TO GETTING LICENSED...AND THEN HAVE THE POSSIBILITY IN WORKING IN EUROPE IF YOU CHOOSE!....
The website of the GMC ( General Medical Council )UK says you can get a provisional license and apply for F1 training / residency after which you sit the PLAB exam if your school is not on the prohibited list on the GMC website. SABA is not on the list. SABA is also advertised on a UK website specializing in recruitment to Medical schools acceptable to work in the EU A friend of mine was told by the Admissions Director of SABA that a past student of SABA had got into residency successfully in the UK last year. Also lots of students from SGU and SMU are working in the UK. Perhaps asking the GMC and the school authorities directly will help you. All the best

brusmani
06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
It's possible,it's not as tough as it's thought...well...It's not easy,it can be chalenging but not impossible at all!There are so many european students in the Caribbean!So many Brits go to S.M.U,St.Georges...In general,They require at least 4 years,and You have to take specific exams and prove you're fluent in the national language whatever country You want to go to...I can speak about the U.K...Saba is recognized,SMU,SGU and so many others,weather you have a degree or not,it doesn't matter,You have to sit the PLAB and prove you 're fluent in English if not your first language.As You want practice in Europe,I'd recommend you go to to SMU,it's a british overseas territory and You can do Your final 2 years here,or SGU(ditto),wich can be an advantage for You.If You don't have a degree,take a look at some schools in Ireland(if you have the money) or even in the U.K(difficult to get into,but possible if you are a brilliant student).There are some English programmes in eastern Europe as well...But bear in mind,if You do your residency in Europe,you'll have do it again in the U.S should You want to practice there...
It doesn't matter how difficult it can be,if You have an objective,fight for it!
You don't have anything to regret do You?It's important to try.I wish you the best!

sandyjay
06-19-2010, 11:56 PM
It's possible,it's not as tough as it's thought...well...It's not easy,it can be chalenging but not impossible at all!There are so many european students in the Caribbean!So many Brits go to S.M.U,St.Georges...In general,They require at least 4 years,and You have to take specific exams and prove you're fluent in the national language whatever country You want to go to...I can speak about the U.K...Saba is recognized,SMU,SGU and so many others,weather you have a degree or not,it doesn't matter,You have to sit the PLAB and prove you 're fluent in English if not your first language.As You want practice in Europe,I'd recommend you go to to SMU,it's a british overseas territory and You can do Your final 2 years here,or SGU(ditto),wich can be an advantage for You.If You don't have a degree,take a look at some schools in Ireland(if you have the money) or even in the U.K(difficult to get into,but possible if you are a brilliant student).There are some English programmes in eastern Europe as well...But bear in mind,if You do your residency in Europe,you'll have do it again in the U.S should You want to practice there...
It doesn't matter how difficult it can be,if You have an objective,fight for it!
You don't have anything to regret do You?It's important to try.I wish you the best!

does it help if you do your clinical rotations in the UK or are US rotations and electives in the UK sufficient to get the provisional license for F1 training ?. PLAB is supposed to be taken by people who have already received internship training (six months in surgery 6 months in medicine) Can you sit the PLAB without the 6th month surgical and medicine training? Will the graduation requirements of completing USMLE Step 1 and 2 be sufficient for GMC to allow provisional license to apply for F1 training and /or for people to sit the PLAB? :confused::confused:
Thanks

brusmani
06-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm sure You'll have more chances if You do your rotations here...I believe the clinical years are the most important part of your medical education,so you have to spend as much time as you can where you want to practice...Competition here in the UK is rather fierce,if You do your clinical years here,You'll have an insight into the NHS and get experience in the U.K,in the end you'll not be an international medical graduate at all,well...you'll be...but You'll have been trained in the same conditions as a UK graduare would be.When You apply for your FY1,they'll see you are familiar with the local health system and this can help you a lot.That's what british students do...They usually go to SMU as I've told you before,or,who can afford,go to SGU and come back after 2 years...I'm not sure,but I think the GMC just accepts graduates from SMU who spent at least one year here...but I can't tell you much...
As for the PLABs,I believe You can sit as soon as you graduate,so many brits study abroad and come back straight away,but it's best to contact them...But anyaway,if you want to practice here,I highly recommend to do your rotations here...
Is that what You want?Do it!Don't be afraid,You have nothing to regret,anyway,it will be great for your medical education to understand about other health systems...
I wish you the best and hope everything goes well.

sandyjay
06-22-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm sure You'll have more chances if You do your rotations here...I believe the clinical years are the most important part of your medical education,so you have to spend as much time as you can where you want to practice...Competition here in the UK is rather fierce,if You do your clinical years here,You'll have an insight into the NHS and get experience in the U.K,in the end you'll not be an international medical graduate at all,well...you'll be...but You'll have been trained in the same conditions as a UK graduare would be.When You apply for your FY1,they'll see you are familiar with the local health system and this can help you a lot.That's what british students do...They usually go to SMU as I've told you before,or,who can afford,go to SGU and come back after 2 years...I'm not sure,but I think the GMC just accepts graduates from SMU who spent at least one year here...but I can't tell you much...
As for the PLABs,I believe You can sit as soon as you graduate,so many brits study abroad and come back straight away,but it's best to contact them...But anyaway,if you want to practice here,I highly recommend to do your rotations here...
Is that what You want?Do it!Don't be afraid,You have nothing to regret,anyway,it will be great for your medical education to understand about other health systems...
I wish you the best and hope everything goes well.

Thank you for your kind wishes. As most Carib schools require passes in USMLE Step1 and 2 as mandatory criteria for graduation is it
advisable to do Year 3 mandatory rotations in Green Book sites in the US to be better prepared for Step2? Having passed Step2 perhaps these cores can be repeated in year 4 in the UK as rotations/electives In this way you can have a broad perspective of the health care systems in both UK and USA. Also if you do your 4th year in the UK its possible isn't to attend a course for PLAB ? Your comments/advice on this is greatly appreciated. Please reply. thanks.

brusmani
06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
You're welcome.
Yeah You could do your 3rd year in the US and 4th in the UK,that would be the best option I think.You can attend a course for the PLABs While doing your rotations,I think kaplan college runs a plab preparation course in several locations in the U.K
I don't know if the cores can be repeated,but anyway,medicine is medicine anywhere in the world.It's best to contact your school,they'll know how to help You,or the GMC...But anyway,If I were You,I'd do my third year in the US and 4th in the UK.
I wish You the best

sandyjay
06-24-2010, 11:33 PM
You're welcome.
Yeah You could do your 3rd year in the US and 4th in the UK,that would be the best option I think.You can attend a course for the PLABs While doing your rotations,I think kaplan college runs a plab preparation course in several locations in the U.K
I don't know if the cores can be repeated,but anyway,medicine is medicine anywhere in the world.It's best to contact your school,they'll know how to help You,or the GMC...But anyway,If I were You,I'd do my third year in the US and 4th in the UK.
I wish You the best
Thank you so much for your prompt answer. Sorry I couldn't thank you earlier. You have been so helpful . When do people apply for F1 training? Is this advertised in the NHS website? Do you have to go through an interview process to land your spot? Is the process similar for F2 training ? Thanks once again got your prompt answers.

brusmani
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
You're welcome!I don't know much about FY1 and FY2...But I'll try to tell as much as I can...I know You have to apply for the FY1 1 year before...You do need referees,wich is why it is important to have clinical experience in the U.K,You need to have passed the PLAB and send your medical school transcripts with your application.You do it all online.I'm not sure if they interview all of the candidates,I believe they give you a post based on your application,they may contact your referees and if they have any doubt they can contact You.Once You have finished your foundation year 1,You get full registration...After that,You apply to the FY2,I believe the process is similar,but they will look at your performance during your foundation year 1.As for dates and deadlines,it is advertised on the NHS website.
The Foundation Programme - About the programme (http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/about-the-foundation-programme)
This is the official foundation programme website,
It can be a bit challenging but not impossible,if you are set to practice in the U.K,you can manage it...
I hope my answer helps...
I wish you the best!

sandyjay
06-25-2010, 11:39 PM
You're welcome!I don't know much about FY1 and FY2...But I'll try to tell as much as I can...I know You have to apply for the FY1 1 year before...You do need referees,wich is why it is important to have clinical experience in the U.K,You need to have passed the PLAB and send your medical school transcripts with your application.You do it all online.I'm not sure if they interview all of the candidates,I believe they give you a post based on your application,they may contact your referees and if they have any doubt they can contact You.Once You have finished your foundation year 1,You get full registration...After that,You apply to the FY2,I believe the process is similar,but they will look at your performance during your foundation year 1.As for dates and deadlines,it is advertised on the NHS website.
The Foundation Programme - About the programme (http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/home/about-the-foundation-programme)
This is the official foundation programme website,
It can be a bit challenging but not impossible,if you are set to practice in the U.K,you can manage it...
I hope my answer helps...
I wish you the best!

Thank you so much . You really are truly helpful the info you give is awesome. Thanks so much for the website site details. I don't mean to pry but are you an alumni from a Carib school who is now working the UK . If so could you please let us know on this forum how you came to work in the UK without going through the F1and F2 program Did you do your residency in the US and then with Step 3 apply to enter a specialty of your choice in the UK ?
With best wishes and grateful thanks

brusmani
06-26-2010, 06:32 AM
You're welcome!
I'm not a Caribbean graduate,I'm actually applying to some U.K universities,and also to the Royal college in Ireland and if I'm not offered a place,I'll go to Saba,I like their curricula...I know some caribbean graduates who are working in the U.K but They did their FY1 and FY2 here.You know...I'm trying to gather as much information as I can in order to not have surprises in the future.But I want to do my residency in the U.S,that's why I'm also considering Saba.I know it can be challenging as well...I plan to do all my clinical rotations in the U.S and then apply to a residency.
Believe it or not,it can be easier to get into FY1 if you graduate from a Caribbean school than if you graduate from a 6 year programme in central-eastern europe...Because,as it's 6 years,they consider the 6th year as an intership and then you must apply directly to FY2,wich can be rather tough without FY1...but anyway,I applied to Charles University as well...I'm going to Prague in July to sit the entrance exam,but honestly I'm not keen on learning a slavic language...

sandyjay
06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
You're welcome!
I'm not a Caribbean graduate,I'm actually applying to some U.K universities,and also to the Royal college in Ireland and if I'm not offered a place,I'll go to Saba,I like their curricula...I know some caribbean graduates who are working in the U.K but They did their FY1 and FY2 here.You know...I'm trying to gather as much information as I can in order to not have surprises in the future.But I want to do my residency in the U.S,that's why I'm also considering Saba.I know it can be challenging as well...I plan to do all my clinical rotations in the U.S and then apply to a residency.
Believe it or not,it can be easier to get into FY1 if you graduate from a Caribbean school than if you graduate from a 6 year programme in central-eastern europe...Because,as it's 6 years,they consider the 6th year as an intership and then you must apply directly to FY2,wich can be rather tough without FY1...but anyway,I applied to Charles University as well...I'm going to Prague in July to sit the entrance exam,but honestly I'm not keen on learning a slavic language...

If you are applying to Med schools now please try the University of Malta. Its EU recognized over 500 years old and has a lot of EU American and Swiss students. I got to know about this school recently after coming to the Caribbean so it was too late for me Its a five year course and for people from the EU very reasonable in cost and great weather. The full course is in English. You don't have to sit PLAB and the school is recognized in all 50 states in the US.
."I know some Caribbean graduates who are working in the U.K but They did their FY1 and FY2 here.".Could you please clarify this statement ,where did these people do their F1 and F2 training? is" here" in the UK US or the Caribbean ? Also is there any way that I could get in touch with them ?
Thanks and best wishes

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.