PDA

View Full Version : SMU USMLE Step 1

OncoMD
06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
To SMU students,

How well do you guys feel you got prepared for the USMLE Step 1?

gschneid
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
To SMU students,

How well do you guys feel you got prepared for the USMLE Step 1?

254 with no textbooks. only professors' ppts.

Dr Rich
06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Depends on the subject and who taught it. Anatomy/Embryo was good Histo was terrible (Dr. S's son, I think he called himself Dr. J) Biochem (good but Dr. V was there) Neuro (Dr. S is as bad as his son, so you must study it all again from scratch, get a good book) Physio (great!) Psych (so so) Path 1 (good) Path 2 (many mistakes) Micro (great with Dr. A and Dr. P) Pharm (good but too rushed, you need complements) PDs and ICM absolutely useless, and got even worse with Dr. J Did I skip something? I did great in the step once I devoted three weeks for a crash course after Kaplan. I could do better but I got married in those days and you know...

:rolleyes:

traviss
06-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Depends on the subject and who taught it. Anatomy/Embryo was good Histo was terrible (Dr. S's son, I think he called himself Dr. J) Biochem (good but Dr. V was there) Neuro (Dr. S is as bad as his son, so you must study it all again from scratch, get a good book) Physio (great!) Psych (so so) Path 1 (good) Path 2 (many mistakes) Micro (great with Dr. A and Dr. P) Pharm (good but too rushed, you need complements) PDs and ICM absolutely useless, and got even worse with Dr. J Did I skip something? I did great in the step once I devoted three weeks for a crash course after Kaplan. I could do better but I got married in those days and you know...

:rolleyes:

I was under the impression that you were much nearer to me in semester. Most of those profs are gone or switched around.

OncoMD
06-12-2010, 01:58 AM
I was under the impression that you were much nearer to me in semester. Most of those profs are gone or switched around.

How are they now Traviss?

traviss
06-12-2010, 02:39 AM
It varies. Some are quite good and some are weak. The kaplan teachers tend to make up for weaknesses in the end. There are a couple of teachers in Kaplan who were better then any single professor I'd ever had in any school. (couple bad ones too!)

Biochemistry is a struggle at SMU(to say the least), where as pharm is taught very well.

It's completely possible to get a mark like the above poster with the education here(254 is VERY high) - but just like any school you'll have to do a lot of that learning yourself.

I can go through and list what I thought about each course taught here but that'd be a long post and I'd probably hurt American IMG's feelings if I said something bad about his class. :) Juuust kidding..

I doubt smu would be any worse then the other carib schools for the basic sciences.

Its not so much the school that really prepares you for the step 1 anyways, it's you. Too bad california doesn't see it that way.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.