PDA

View Full Version : How to enjoy life before starting MD program at Saba?

sgMD
06-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I took a 2 months european vacation with my girl friend. It was the best time of my life. I live and breathe with those memories, and I get flashbacks of some of those memories almost everyday. Call me a psycho.

How are you guys planning to 'enjoy your life' before heading down to Saba?

Suggestions:

Vacation,
Reading interesting books like 'The Secrets of the Mind' by Dr. Ramachandran.
Hanging out in Starbucks with a cup of Americano, because you will miss it so much in a few months!
Drive long distances with car, because you will be missing it soon!
Hang out more with your dear ones. You will miss them!

buddababa
06-06-2010, 12:27 AM
most pointless post ever.

Energizerbun
06-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Hmm... Probably should reserve this forum for meaningful topics. Thanks.

sgMD
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM
there will be 'pointless' threads to counteract the 1000 pointless threads that recently pop up everyday on valueMD regarding HOW TO PREPARE FOR MD PROGRAM AT SABA! haha... don't you guys have a sense of sarcasm? I mean I knew medical students are suppose to be nerds, but I didn't know they can also be robots!

Kewlwhip
06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
there will be 'pointless' threads to counteract the 1000 pointless threads that recently pop up everyday on valueMD regarding HOW TO PREPARE FOR MD PROGRAM AT SABA! haha... don't you guys have a sense of sarcasm? I mean I knew medical students are suppose to be nerds, but I didn't know they can also be robots!

sgMD FTW! :D

prettydarnwet
06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I plan on running a marathon, ordering chinese food, going waterskiing, watching the Lord of the Rings extended editions all in a row without a bathroom break, and stalking a celebrity. Those are all things I will miss. Who cares about sarcasm? I am dead serious!

heywood100
06-07-2010, 03:00 AM
I plan on running a marathon, ordering chinese food, going waterskiing, watching the Lord of the Rings extended editions all in a row without a bathroom break, and stalking a celebrity. Those are all things I will miss. Who cares about sarcasm? I am dead serious!

not too darn wet imo

why not date and dump a super model after you finish the Lord of the Rings before you stalk the celeb who is now shacked up with your super model ex?

Xorthos
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm going to disney world!

prettydarnwet
06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
not too darn wet imo

why not date and dump a super model after you finish the Lord of the Rings before you stalk the celeb who is now shacked up with your super model ex?

That sounds great! You really know how to prepare for med school.:rolleyes:

m777a
06-08-2010, 12:28 AM
I took a 2 months european vacation with my girl friend. It was the best time of my life. I live and breathe with those memories, and I get flashbacks of some of those memories almost everyday. Call me a psycho.

Suggestions:

Vacation,
Hanging out in Starbucks with a cup of Americano, because you will miss it so much in a few months!
dude you are not gonna die, you just wanna go to md school,,
try not to get in to drug, or HIV, or something before school,,

buddababa
06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
thread. epic fail.

sgMD
06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
thread. epic fail.

haha.. I love how you give more value to your opinion rather than the actual evidence!! did you pass EBM and Epi by any chance? lol...

epic fail for being a science student! ;)

PS: the point of this thread is show the prospectives that there are different perspectives toward how to 'prepare' for medical school... it was getting annoying how only the opinion of a minority was getting expressed on valueMD... in case you didn't realize!

B_W_
06-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't get why you guys have to s**t all over this thread. It's pointless? Really? Why comment then, b/c obviously you've got better things to do with your time than read stupid posts ;)
Personally I wish I had never cracked a book before coming here and just enjoyed the little pleasures like going to movies and stuff. It's really not worth 'preparing' for this anyway so just enjoy what time you've got left. Just my thoughts

prettysmart
06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
BW, you should thank yourself that you have cracked a book before coming to Saba. This May 2010 first semester class: 35 failed histo and 56 flunked Anatomy on block 2. Probably they all enjoyed and relaxed too much before they came to Saba!

Kewlwhip
06-17-2010, 02:28 PM
BW, you should thank yourself that you have cracked a book before coming to Saba. This May 2010 first semester class: 35 failed histo and 56 flunked Anatomy on block 2. Probably they all enjoyed and relaxed too much before they came to Saba!

Yes, because our class is full of idiots who have never seen an organ in our lives, so that's why 56 failed the 2nd block. That was a stupid comment.^^
It has nothing to do with how much more difficult they are making the course to see if we can do better on the shelf. I'm pretty sure if you ask the 2nd semesters, you will learn that their course was harder than the previous semester's and they did better on the shelf. So, before you open your mouth and say that the reason our class did poorly is because no one cracked a book to study before we came here, why don't you think it through a little bit more there, skidro!

sgMD
06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, because our class is full of idiots who have never seen an organ in our lives, so that's why 56 failed the 2nd block. That was a stupid comment.^^
It has nothing to do with how much more difficult they are making the course to see if we can do better on the shelf. I'm pretty sure if you ask the 2nd semesters, you will learn that their course was harder than the previous semester's and they did better on the shelf. So, before you open your mouth and say that the reason our class did poorly is because no one cracked a book to study before we came here, why don't you think it through a little bit more there, skidro!

like what?

this first semester class is the most relaxed class I've met among the saba students... you guys buy beer on the weekend of blocks?! I remember NOBODY in our class would do such thing last semester.
Also, if the TA's say the extent of the femoral nerve is L2-L4, don't argue with it! Because that's what is in the book and in the lecture. Only because someone who's taken anatomy in professional school before says it's just L2 doesn't mean it's L2!! We used to admire our TAs last semester and would never argue/challenge their knowledge. These TA's are volunteers who are there to make you achieve your goal and help you out, and you guys think you're the best in the world who argue with the profs and TA's... well this is what happens to you, 58 of you guys fail Anatomy... maybe your class had too much beer before the blocks!

Kewlwhip
06-17-2010, 05:08 PM
like what?

this first semester class is the most relaxed class I've met among the saba students... you guys buy beer on the weekend of blocks?! I remember NOBODY in our class would do such thing last semester.
Also, if the TA's say the extent of the femoral nerve is L2-L4, don't argue with it! Because that's what is in the book and in the lecture. Only because someone who's taken anatomy in professional school before says it's just L2 doesn't mean it's L2!! We used to admire our TAs last semester and would never argue/challenge their knowledge. These TA's are volunteers who are there to make you achieve your goal and help you out, and you guys think you're the best in the world who argue with the profs and TA's... well this is what happens to you, 58 of you guys fail Anatomy... maybe your class had too much beer before the blocks!

Yes, and those 5 people will be gone before the end of Block 3. Don't put every one of us or every one of the 58 who failed a block together with people who get drunk the weekend before block. That's like saying that all females are bad drivers because.... well, bad example. ;)
And I haven't heard of people arguing with TA's, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that those people are few and far between as well. No one is perfect (TA's included).

sgMD
06-17-2010, 05:52 PM
I get your point, but be worried about your class reputation... it does not matter what I say or others say, but once you see that some people (including students and faculty) are disliking your class for whatever reason, you might want to do something about it... same thing was starting to happen with us last semester and we took action by writing letters to the facultry and apologizing and talking to uppers and our TA's...

one more thing to mention... when they told us not to download music and such on campus, we really respected that rule... but as soon as 5:30pm (when 1st sem labs are done), the internet on campus gets soooooooo slow that it's practically impossible to even check gmail... I personally saw three 1st sem students in the student lounge in the new building downloading movies...

nothing against 1sts, but just saying..

Idiots
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Class reputation is all well and good, but sadly, what it really boils down to is learning as much as YOU can while you're here. Over half your class won't be with you when you graduate from 5th semester anyway, so in the end it really just comes to getting your butt out of here and getting a good Step 1 score. That's the only thing that anyone is going to be interested in about your 2 years on Saba when you apply for residencies 3 years from now. Who cares if the profs think your class is a bunch of alcoholics? Unless you end up getting a police record or personally disciplined for drunken behavior, your drinking on Saba is NOT going to hurt your career as long as you keep rocking those tests.

sgMD
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Class reputation is all well and good, but sadly, what it really boils down to is learning as much as YOU can while you're here. Over half your class won't be with you when you graduate from 5th semester anyway, so in the end it really just comes to getting your butt out of here and getting a good Step 1 score. That's the only thing that anyone is going to be interested in about your 2 years on Saba when you apply for residencies 3 years from now. Who cares if the profs think your class is a bunch of alcoholics? Unless you end up getting a police record or personally disciplined for drunken behavior, your drinking on Saba is NOT going to hurt your career as long as you keep rocking those tests.

haha.... except that the profs make those tests! Hello??
I'm sorry but your point of view towards this issue is very naive...

GADoctor
06-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Simmer down. SgMD is right about the rep. The entire island knows about 1st semester, it is rather annoying, but that's just how it goes on Saba. I doubt it can be much harder than any other class had. I do personally think many of the 1st semesters took too much of a lackadaisical approach. I do not mean all, but many. Just tell your classmates to stick to it, and study daily for several hours, or what is needed to fully understand the material. You should be able to do BRS questions, NBME, Snells, and Rapid Review. The fact is, you should not go into a test if you cannot do those. Histo is pure memorization of the slides put in front of you. Seriously, you need to memorize what the slide says and what is in the picture. Plenty of review material is on the servers, so use it.

The reason we say do not read and study 12 hours a day before you come here is not because we do not think you should be prepared, but you should be able to do it here. The fact is, if you need 1 extra semester for Anatomy and Histology, then you will NEVER make it through 3rd and 4th in 1 semester.

As for your exam results, no matter how hard the exam is, just make it happen. If you go in prepared, then there is nothing they can throw at you that you won't be able to answer.

Idiots
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
haha.... except that the profs make those tests! Hello??
I'm sorry but your point of view towards this issue is very naive...Nothing naive about it. The onus is on YOU to know the material. They want no more than about 50 people graduating from 5th semester every four months. That means YOU have to be still standing when you get to that point. That means YOU have to be consistently strong so that you don't get knocked off along the way. That means YOU have to consistently be as good or better than your classmates. Even if they make the tests easier or harder, the same number of people are going to make it through successfully. A big part of Anatomy, Micro, Path I, Biochemistry, and Physiology is to fail a certain number of people. It's designed that way, and that's what's going to happen. The more of your classmates in 1st semester who are drunken idiots, the better chance you have of being one of the students who gets through. Enjoy it, and rock those tests. You'll be stronger because of it when you make it through here.

GA Doctor is right when he says not to bother studying before you come here. If you can't handle anatomy in the 3.5 allotted months, you'll never make it through here.

krust3
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Suggestions:

Vacation,

my fun actually started in med school. two years on Saba was an amazing experience. spending the next two years travelling the U.S. for rotations was an adventure in its own right.

your med school experience will be what you make of it.

Maveric1984
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Be ready for the first semester; the class average for the past 3 blocks are 74, 71, and 73. Meaning over half the class is failing half way through anatomy...after 15 people have dropped. Enjoy those precious days hiking Mount Scenery, hitchhiking around the island, etc

prettysmart
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Class average for Histo: Block 1 - 77.17 (36 failed out of 99)
Block 2 - 77.65 (35 failed out of 97)
Block 3 - 86.17 ( 3 failed out of 96)

For those who are coming to the island soon, get ready for the battle!

Lowbo
07-08-2010, 08:23 PM
i go back home. where i come from, the men have big memory, and the women have big mammaries!!

J.MD
07-09-2010, 08:08 PM
i go back home. where i come from, the men have big memory, and the women have big mammaries!!

amazing ... HAHAHAHAH

mamarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRR RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrries.

xmsjessyx
02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
So people are suggesting a good vacation/relax before attending SABA?

J.MD
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah for sure. ur gonna be on an island for almost 2 years, w/ only on avg, 2 weeks b/w semesters. 1st sem's gonna be easiest semester, so enjoy yourself. no need to prep going into it, just come in w/ the right mentality. im not saying its easy, but comparatively. but then again i guess it's all relative. i would recommend having a good time b4 coming here for sure.

darkmansaad
02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
xmsjessy...you are the ressurector of dead threads on valuemd! you must be seirously excited, seriously bored, seriously nervous, or perhaps need to get out more?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.