PDA

View Full Version : O-Chem

buckeyegirl
05-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Energizerbun
05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi guys,

I just have one quick question. I received a C- in my organic chemistry lab course. Will they accept a C- , or do they only accept a C or higher in prereq courses? Thanks so much!

Hello hello! They will accept a C- in any of their required courses, however any grades below a C+ in their required courses will result in them requiring you to have written the MCAT. They will likely weight your MCAT heavier than someone who didn't need to write the MCAT and who has a C+ or better in all of their required courses. Saba tends to look an the entire application package and determine acceptance so don't be discouraged by a single bad grade - especially if all your other core grades are good! If you want my advice though, retake org... It'll only help you if and when you get into medical school. Hope this was helpful, Good luck.

GADoctor
05-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I too would reiterate the previous point. Not only will improving upon that grade help, but understanding basic principles of organic chemistry and biochemistry will also help you immensely in medical school. Besides, the mcat has an entire chem section dedicated to it, so if you want to perform well on the mcat, i suggest you perform well in o-chem.

SPennella
05-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Do not waste your time retaking O. You won't need it at all, and you don't use it at all when you get here. Just know it well enough to be able to recognize basic structures and to get a somewhat decent score on MCAT biological sciences.

mulberry
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello hello! They will accept a C- in any of their required courses, however any grades below a C+ in their required courses will result in them requiring you to have written the MCAT. They will likely weight your MCAT heavier than someone who didn't need to write the MCAT and who has a C+ or better in all of their required courses. Saba tends to look an the entire application package and determine acceptance so don't be discouraged by a single bad grade - especially if all your other core grades are good! If you want my advice though, retake org... It'll only help you if and when you get into medical school. Hope this was helpful, Good luck.

This is news to me. So basically, one can apply to SABA with with C+'s and above in all science prereqs and they don't have to take the MCATS?

Is this true for all the big 4 schools??

Energizerbun
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
This is news to me. So basically, one can apply to SABA with with C+'s and above in all science prereqs and they don't have to take the MCATS?

Is this true for all the big 4 schools??

Not sure but this is true for SABA, you can find this information at this link: Saba University School of Medicine - FAQs (http://www.saba.edu/saba/index.php/faqs)

It suggets:

"Taking the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is recommended and specifically required from students who meet any of the following three conditions:

Students with outdated required science coursework (>5 years old)
Students who completed required science coursework at a community college
Students with "C" grades or lower in the required science courses"
So as long as you meet the other criteria as well, its fine. Doesn't mean you have a really good shot at getting in, it'll depend on a case by case basis. Hope this was helpful.

GADoctor
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Do not waste your time retaking O. You won't need it at all, and you don't use it at all when you get here. Just know it well enough to be able to recognize basic structures and to get a somewhat decent score on MCAT biological sciences.

I do not know what mcat you took, but mine had a bit more than basic structures.

Look, if you can reasonably score well knowing what you already know in organic chemistry, then taking the mcat and recieving a good score might overcome a C in o-chem. Check out the AAMC's description of what is in the biological sciences section by going to their site, clicking on MCAT, then "Preparing for the Exam"(annoying that I cannot post links).

If you can do all that they ask, then you are set for the mcat.

SkylineR34X
06-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Writing MCAT may help. I am not good at O Chem, in fact it was my lowest mark in the whole university. On MCAT Bio, they usually have 1-2 passages out of 7-8 that is O Chem. I usually just do the basic, guess the rest, and ace the other 6 passages. My score turned out to be ok all the time (for the bio section that is).

As well, if you are planning to apply to other schools, many of them require MCAT anyways, so if I were you, I would take MCAT over retaking O Chem.

SPennella
06-02-2010, 01:57 AM
I took the January 09 MCAT.

skyline knows what's up. ochem lab is a joke. it's just not that important. I got a C- in my ochem lab also :)

and FTR I'm performing quite well right now at saba.

Energizerbun
06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Writing MCAT may help. I am not good at O Chem, in fact it was my lowest mark in the whole university. On MCAT Bio, they usually have 1-2 passages out of 7-8 that is O Chem. I usually just do the basic, guess the rest, and ace the other 6 passages. My score turned out to be ok all the time (for the bio section that is).

As well, if you are planning to apply to other schools, many of them require MCAT anyways, so if I were you, I would take MCAT over retaking O Chem.

Just to offer a different perspective and experience, my MCAT had 4 sections of O-Chem on it and 3 section of bio. You are just rolling the dice, the MCAT can be anything. Unlike others, my experience was that the MCAT far exceeds basic level understanding of structures. Either way you slice it, you're gambling on your MCAT without a good foundation in all core areas. Personally, I find that Biochem is quite a bit easier to grasp with a good foundation in O-Chem; Biochem is one of them 2nd sem courses at SABA. But that's just me :)

GADoctor
06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I took the January 09 MCAT.

skyline knows what's up. ochem lab is a joke. it's just not that important. I got a C- in my ochem lab also :)

and FTR I'm performing quite well right now at saba.

Ochem lab is a joke, but ochem lecture is not. Anyways, it does not matter. We have differing opinions. It is the OP's original decision now. About you doing good at Saba, congrats.

SPennella
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
thanks.

bottom line for ohio st: don't retake the 1 credit lab because of a C-.

If you have less than a B in the 3cr lecture - consider it.

GADoctor
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
^^^what he said. I completely misread the OP post. The lab course is a joke and as long as you got a B in orgo lecture and understand it, you should have no problem.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.